Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #1

Dish Tailgater mounting question

I've read quite a bit via internet searches about the various revisions of the Dish Tailgater base since it's introduction. What I've mostly found is that it used to have removable feet that you could utilize to mount the Tailgater to something, but that the design had changed and the feet were no longer removable. I had prepared myself to have to set the Tailgater on a platform and then to have to strap it down in some way. I wasn't looking forward to doing this because it would complicate the design of my mounting base, and I wasn't sure if a strap over the top of the Tailgater would interfere with the signal.

I bought my Tailgater last week. I finally got around to flipping over and looking at the base this morning. What I found are four bosses in between the feet. The bosses are bout 3/4"-7/8" deep. I can't imagine any other reason for those bosses to be there except for a fabricated mount. Before I get to carried away with running some self-tapping screws up into those bosses, I want see if anybody knows of a reason that it can't be done.

A picture of my Tailgater base is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
tailgater base.jpg  
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #2

We have a tripod that worked fine for our Tailgater and now our Pathway X2.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #3

Here's the mount used for semis.

http://http://tweetys.com/king-flex-semi-mount.aspx?gclid=CLrYwLSdyMECFWcF7AodsU0ADA
Old 10-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #4

I am building a mount to put mine on the ladder of my fifth wheel. I am to the point of needing to attach the base in some way.

I believe I will go ahead and use self-tapping screws in those bosses on the base. That has to be what they are there for.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #5

Those bosses in the bottom of the Tailgater will accept a 1/4-20 tap, so this is going to work out really well for me.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
Site Team

I guess my first question would be, are you mounting your antenna on a rotating base, attached to the ladder? When I was going to mount my Tailgater antenna to the ladder, I contacted DISH and asked them how many degrees the internal parts rotate. They said 180 degrees is the actual movement, but they also said that the handle needs to be pointing directly NORTH for best searching results.

Needless to say, I did not make the ladder attachment, as we never face the same direction at campgrounds. I purchased a HD cable/lock to connect the Tailgater to the TT. Has been working fine for the last 2 years.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #7

We put ours on the slide out.... works great
Crablad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
I guess my first question would be, are you mounting your antenna on a rotating base, attached to the ladder? When I was going to mount my Tailgater antenna to the ladder, I contacted DISH and asked them how many degrees the internal parts rotate. They said 180 degrees is the actual movement, but they also said that the handle needs to be pointing directly NORTH for best searching results.

Needless to say, I did not make the ladder attachment, as we never face the same direction at campgrounds. I purchased a HD cable/lock to connect the Tailgater to the TT. Has been working fine for the last 2 years.

Don

This is what I built. I posted it yesterday. It has a full 360 degree rotation, but I don't know how necessary that is.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...748#post245748