Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2014, 05:22 AM   #41

I just bought a 3/4 ton gasser and I'm very happy with it. I only tow a hand full of times a year. The rest is short trip daily driving. If those figures were reversed than my purchase decision would have been as well. Simple as that.
StarGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:52 AM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Good read and thanks for sharing. I paid. 3.53 for diesel today...89 octane gas is about 3.37 I think. My cummins was an 8k premium when I ordered the truck and the oil changes and fuel filter changes will likely be more money than on a gasser (guessing $400 for oil and fuel filter changes each time), but I knew all that going in. I could care less if I break even on my diesel...I love how it drives, the smooth power, not revving and downshifting on every mountain road, and the sound. 40% better towing mpg and I get 23mpg on the hwy empty...good enough for me! I doubt I will ever buy another gas truck again
If you can change your own oil like I do its about 100.00$ for 3 gallons of oil 1 oil filter and 1 fuel filter at the local NAPA store.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #43

One thing that is missing from the longevity argument is that the gas and diesel pickups all have the same body and chassis....

Even though the diesel engine may last a million miles, the body and chassis on the truck will wear out just as fast as that of a gas truck.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #44

Guess I'm just lucky. Living in Colorado, and pulling in the high country all the time, there was no stress or question about the added value to buying a diesel. Never even gave it a second thought as there is just no comparison between the two for towing here. The cost of gas vs diesel when filling up the tank is only a few dollars different, so that is pretty much a wash, as well as the 10-11 mpg vs 6-7 mpg while towing more than covers the price difference at the pump.
There is also the added bonus of the longevity of the diesel. Vehicles don't rust out here, so the rest of the truck will last as long as the engine. Will I ever recoup the cost difference from a gas engine? I don't know and don't care. I do know I bought the best tool for the job!

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polk View Post
I just like the smell and sounds of the diesel.
Don't know 'bout the smell but, you are right, a diesel has a great sound. I rolled up to a small grocery store in Acadia last Spring and the old-timer in the store said, "whatever you've got under the hood sure sounds sweet!". DW said I looked like he was talking about our only child .

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote