Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #1

Well, first trip is over and we survived

Although my wife and I have towed several hundred trailers as RV transporters, this was our trip with our own trailer (Jayco 17C). We live in north central Illinois and decided we needed some heat and picked out a campground in Panama City Beach Florida.

We have (had) a 2010 Jeep Wrangler four door. We were pretty nervous attempting to pull the trailer with the Jeep. We added a Prodigy P2 brake controller, an aux transmission cooler and Firestone Coil Rite helper air bags in the rear to level the Jeep while hooked up.

Sunday February 20 greeted us with an on going ice storm. Just about everything had already been packed so we loaded up the last items and took off.

The Jeep pulled the Jayco excellently with the exception of little or no power. We have added a Reese dual cam weight distributing hitch and even driving straight into a winds gusting to 30+ mph, the Jeep and trailer remained very steady.

Steady and really slow. The Wrangler struggled deserately at any type of hill, even overpasses on the Interstate. We often could only do 45 mph and gas mileage through Illinois was only 5 mpg. It took three fill ups just to get out of Illinois.

We arrived in our first campground just south of Nashville after dark. That made the first time we had ever set up more difficult but we actually had no problem at all. We left the Jeep hooked up and I slept on the converted dinette. That wasn't at all comfortable as I spent the entire night trying to keep the cushions from sliding off on the floor.

Next morning, we were able to unhook everything without any problems and were soon on our way.

Slowly on our way. Even though the wind had slowed down, we now had some decent hills to go up and down and the Jeep continued to struggle.

My RV transport rig was a Ford F350 dually with a 6.0L turbo diesel so this was even more frustrating.

But we eventually got to the campground and once again set up in the dark. We were helped by the camp host who was already at the site waiting for us as we were backing in. Set up went quickly and smoothly and this time I got to sleep in one of the beds. I was shocked in the morning to realize how well I had actually slept. We have a Temurpedic bed at home and I wasn't looking forward to sleeping in the trailer but I was mistaken, the bed was quite comfortable.

Temps were 78-82 degrees every day with clear skies so we had a really good time. We left on Friday and staggered home, this time with the wind behinds us which helped.

Total gas cost was $699.11 for a total of 2,380 miles so it turned out to be very expensive.

After getting home, we talked about options for several days and finally traded the Jeep in on a new Ford F150 with the max tow packlage.

The difficulties with the Jeep were just not worth doing it again and since we had a good time with the trailer we're looking forward to our next trip.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #2

Enjoyed your trip writeup; particularly how and where you slept the first night out.

You made a good choice to upgrade your TV.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #3

Quote:
After getting home, we talked about options for several days and finally traded the Jeep in on a new Ford F150 with the max tow package.
Only problem is now you are going to want a bigger TT

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #4

Very nice update. Congrats on the new truck! Although the cost round trip was high, glad you otherwise had a fun and safe trip!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #5

You were doing commercial transporting with a Jeep?
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
Only problem is now you are going to want a bigger TT

Glad you enjoyed your trip!
Don't go there!

She got a very strange glint in her eye when I brought it up.

(The Jeep and later the TT were both her idea. My idea was a new Ford F150 with the max tow package and a slightly larger trailer. That was a year ago when she bought the Jeep. Apparently, this is all my fault because I didn't insist on getting the F150 back then and gave in to what she wanted too easily)
Old 03-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan View Post
Don't go there!

She got a very strange glint in her eye when I brought it up.

(The Jeep and later the TT were both her idea... Apparently, this is all my fault because I didn't insist on getting the F150 back then and gave in to what she wanted too easily)
Just remember, only five words you ever need to know

1. Never
2. Her
3. Fault
and
4. Yes
5. Dear
Old 03-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #8

Nice write up and picture. You gotta love how easy it is to set up the 17C. We have been very comfortable in our 17Z and having downsized we aren't second guessing the size, especially when it is time to wash it and wax it!

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcconawa View Post
Just remember, only five words you ever need to know

1. Never
2. Her
3. Fault
and
4. Yes
5. Dear
Ummmm for me it's sometimes NHFYH
1.Never
2.HIS
3.Fault
and
4.Yes
5.Honey...

LOL I'm glad we're not the typical old time couple!

Even though our F-150 tows ok, I still miss our old F-250! Sounds like your truck is like ours. Did you get the Lariat/King/Platinum? Congrats!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #10

Nice write up. The little 3.8 v6 really isn't much of a pulling motor. You made a good choice.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #11

I have a lot of RV towing experience, about a 1/4 million miles in just over two years as an RV transport driver.

But I was using a Ford F350 crew can dually long bed with a 6.0L turbo diesel then:

At a rest stop, eastbound on I-70 in Utah.

I really miss that truck!
Old 03-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #12

Now that would be a good puller.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #13

I remember when you first checked in on the forum you were thing of adding a supercharger to the Jeep. I was curious to se how it would do towing. I think you made the right choice with the f150. I would wager the same trip with the new tv would cost you have the fuel. Did you get the new 5.0 the 3.5 turbo or the 6.2 in the f150? I heard all the new engines are enbeleivable.

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #14

Good choice for TV. I am always amused at people trying to pull trailers with "pedal cars". They always try to give the appearance that "this is no problem at all", but the poor little engines are maxed out 99% of the time.

I don't have the ultimate TVs either, but I have my choice of a 2001 Suburban, a 1997 Suburban, or a 2002 Dodge Q-cab, all 1500's and 4x4.

Happy camping!
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by villain2000 View Post
I remember when you first checked in on the forum you were thing of adding a supercharger to the Jeep. I was curious to se how it would do towing. I think you made the right choice with the f150. I would wager the same trip with the new tv would cost you have the fuel. Did you get the new 5.0 the 3.5 turbo or the 6.2 in the f150? I heard all the new engines are enbeleivable.

Turbo chargers and super chargers add a lot of heat to an engine. While they add a lot of power and torque they also add a lot of heat and shorten drive train life.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Turbo chargers and super chargers add a lot of heat to an engine. While they add a lot of power and torque they also add a lot of heat and shorten drive train life.
I have to disagree with you here. Intercoolers (which most modern kits include) reduce heat and therefore, additional stress. Todays engines after boosting require tuning through the ecu to get the air/fuel ratio right when modifications such as super/turbochargers have been added. If this is done correctly, no additional wear or stress on the motor occurs. When properly set up, mildly boosted and properly maintained, a boosted engine can run as long (with more power) as an unboosted one.

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote