Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #1

Mouse Problem

Mice are getting into my RV. They chewed the plastic fan and some wiring to my heater. grrrrrrrr Got that fixed.
Bought D Con mouse pellets in a tray. The mice evidently love that stuff. Put a tray in at night, pellets are gone the following day. YAY.

OMG........evidently they don't go off and die somewhere. One died somewhere in the bowels of my TT!!!!!!! I can't find the body/bodies!!!!! IT STINKS!!!!!! Someone please tell me this smell will go away soon!!!
I leave a window open and the door open during the day. No Bueno!

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The smell will eventually go away with good ventilation, but it takes awhile....., the one reason I don't use D-Con.

I just load up 3-4 old style traps with a dab of peanut butter, along with a couple "sticky" pads and check them every week or so while in storage. Place the traps and sticky pads along the edge of walls, cabinets, etc., that's where the mice travel. Caught two last week when we had the little warming spell.

Last year I had a real good adventure trying to snag a smart mouse: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ighlight=mouse

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #3

Yes, the smell will go away eventually. We have a tiny crawlspace in our old home and throw the pellets in there and occasionally smell them working. Luckily, it's not too often, but can't keep them out completely.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #4

Go to a farm implement dealer and buy a can of Mouse Off. Spray all the electrical wiring you can get to. Open a couple paper grocery bags and spray some in them ( it is oily so be careful where you lay them) Spray anything that touches the ground. Farmers around here have been using that stuff for years to keep mice from chewing on their equipment.
6 Speed Auto 3:92 Posi
Rambox Hemi Hard Loaded
Airlift Bags 20" Goodyears
2004 Jayco Eagle 308 FBs
Sold trailer starting search
82corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #5

We store our new TT in our barn where mice love to mingle. I use a product by Critter Repellant (http://www.critter-repellent.com/mic...-repellent.php) mice shake away. It's granular form with a bobacat and coyote urine odor. Just put some inside a nylon stocking and tie up into a little ball. Works great and doesn't smell the TT up. I've been using this product for years on other equipment in the barn and I'm very happy with it. My wife also used peppermint oil on cotton balls, for some reason the peppermint odor repels the little varments as well. And for one extra measure, I gathered up some crab apples and placed them under the TT and the ground around wheels, tongue jack, and any other place where mice could jump onto. I've been told mice hate the smell of crab apples. Good Luck!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #6

I put Fresh Cab in the trailer as well as my convertible. I had issues in the car worse than the trailer but they are in the same building. It's sold through John Deere dealer ships. I work at a JD dealership that's where I got mine, we sell a bunch every year costs about $14.00.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82corvette View Post
Go to a farm implement dealer and buy a can of Mouse Off. Spray all the electrical wiring you can get to. Open a couple paper grocery bags and spray some in them ( it is oily so be careful where you lay them) Spray anything that touches the ground. Farmers around here have been using that stuff for years to keep mice from chewing on their equipment.

We don't have farm implement dealerships here in SE, AZ. But I will see if the Feed Stores carry them. Thank you!!
Do the sprayed paper bags go in the RV??

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Old 01-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod51 View Post
I put Fresh Cab in the trailer as well as my convertible. I had issues in the car worse than the trailer but they are in the same building. It's sold through John Deere dealer ships. I work at a JD dealership that's where I got mine, we sell a bunch every year costs about $14.00.
Our mice here love Fresh Cab.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Old 01-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkc22fb View Post
We store our new TT in our barn where mice love to mingle. I use a product by Critter Repellant (http://www.critter-repellent.com/mic...-repellent.php) mice shake away. It's granular form with a bobacat and coyote urine odor. Just put some inside a nylon stocking and tie up into a little ball. Works great and doesn't smell the TT up. I've been using this product for years on other equipment in the barn and I'm very happy with it. My wife also used peppermint oil on cotton balls, for some reason the peppermint odor repels the little varments as well. And for one extra measure, I gathered up some crab apples and placed them under the TT and the ground around wheels, tongue jack, and any other place where mice could jump onto. I've been told mice hate the smell of crab apples. Good Luck!
Where does one buy peppermint oil?? We don't have crab apples here in AZ. I will check out that site tho. Thanks!

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Old 01-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #10

Do you hang the nylon stocking up in the RV or lay it in under the sink, on the floors?

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Old 01-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #11

Put dryer sheets all over.We had mouse problems and tried the dryer sheets in draws and other places the mice liked.No problems the last 2 years.
mikesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Target View Post
Where does one buy peppermint oil?? We don't have crab apples here in AZ. I will check out that site tho. Thanks!
We purchase peppermint oil at health food stores or in stores that specialize in baking supplys. It is also available on line. Be sure you purchase "Peppermint oil" and not just "Peppermint Flavoring / extract. It has worked well for us. Our trailer is parked in a wooded spot all Fall. It is like posting a big sign reading "Mouse Hotel - Free Chewing Plastic and Nesting Materials". Prior to the Peppermint Oile we tried poison etc, but nothing worked. They took the D-Con pellets and made a nest with them in one of our sleeping bags. Peppermint olil works for us and we can purchase a years supply for about $12.00. Good Hunting!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesr View Post
Put dryer sheets all over.We had mouse problems and tried the dryer sheets in draws and other places the mice liked.No problems the last 2 years.
Same here, we put (scented) dryer sheets everywhere, on mattress, in closets, every drawer etc...
The trailers smells really nice too!
I also read somewhere (don't know if it's true) that mice don't like walking on gravel (neither do I!) It just so happens our trailer is sitting on a gravel pad.
The other thing.... (although I am sure it's the dryer sheets and gravel that works best hahahaha), there are 3 or 4 feral cats (darn things!!! I cannot stand them pooping all over my gardens!) hanging around. They especially like to lay under the trailer.
Want one??? Free to good RV!
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #14

We put the stockings on the floor, under cabinets, storage compartments, everywhere that is the hardest area for you to see. You can also purchase peppermint oil at any health food store, look for "Now" brand....it's alitlle less expensive but a good brand. We're new at this also and I've read a lot about this critter issue. So far we've had good luck. That critter repellant worked really well on our boat so I can vouch for that product.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #15

Oh, we also use dryer sheets. Heck, we're gonna have to air out the TT before April! LOL
Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #16

Take a piece of 3/8" dowel rod, go over your trailer from the outside & underneath and caulk, cover, or plug up every hole that the rod will fit through. Put the bait stations near the tongue jack and all the tires to feed the mice before they get into your trailer. When we had a popup that was stored outdoors we also bought a brick of bars of Irish Spring soap, cut the bars in halves or thirds, then put the pieces on the floor inside all the compartments. Never had an issue with mice and made the camper smell pleasant as well. The soap fragrance even drove out the smell of moth balls that had been used by the previous owner. Moth balls don't work. I once had a Mustang that spent a winter or two stored outdoors. I put moth balls on some flat areas in the engine compartment and the mice piled their stash of acorns right with the moth balls.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #17

Been there.....tried that.....all different scents. No workie workie.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #18

Definitely going to give the peppermint oil a try!!! OMG.....you have bionic mice also! At least I did kill a couple with D-Con.......except they stayed after the party and died in the RV. lol

By the way, love your picture there!!!

Kathie

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Old 01-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #19

Thank you for the advice. I have tried the electronic sonic sound plug-ins, dryer sheets, moth balls and now D-Con.
I would like to deter them from entering rather than them dying somewhere in the RV. I guess that is the perfect world.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Old 01-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #20

As good as the feral cats sound, at this point, I am sure they would get cozy and produce little baby ferals. Then I have to feed them, take them in when it is bad weather, etc.
I am a lost cause.......

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD