Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #1

Electric Brakes 28.5RLS

I have a 2014 Jayco 28.5 RLS and would like to know how to disconnect the battery power to the brakes. I have a disconnect but it does not disconnect the power to the break away switch. I want to disable this in case some wise guy decides he want to pull the pin on the break away switch. The only thing I can see is to pull the 30AMP battery fuse. Any suggestions will be welcomed.
Brownie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

there should be a single wire going to the battery for it. Remove it I guess if you want. OR just splice a toggle switch into the wire going to the breakaway. But I have to ask. Do you really think you need to worry about it???
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #3

Neighbor kids.
Brownie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

you just reinsert the pin.It isn't a one shot deal. They actually tell you to pull the pin and verify that it works on occasion. At least my paperwork does on my trailer.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #5

Brownie56, I think your concern is that if neighbor kids remove the pin, that the constant current to your brake magnets will run down your battery and/or damage your magnets; valid concerns. I leave my trailer on my driveway for several days at a time and there are lots of neighbor kids, but they don't seem interested in my trailer. That said, it could happen.

I believe that by design the break-away system is very simple. I don't think there is a fuse, or breaker, or switch. The only way you could deactivate it is by removing the connection at the battery.

The 30 amp fuse you have probably protects the wiring to your DC distribution box; the break-away system is separate.

Maybe you could attach the cable to the switch in such a a way that the cable is easily removable? It'd be tough for a small kid to grasp the plastic pin hard enough to remove it without the cable.

Whatever you do, make sure your break-away system is working when towing; if you need your break-away system, you really need it.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #6

If the breakaway switch is wired to the battery terminal then move it from the terminal to the switch so you can turn it off.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote