Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #1

Not Happy w/ White Hawk outside refrigerator

Not Happy with White Hawk outside refrigerator.

Have had this refrigerator since 2012 and does not keep my beer cold and I now use a cooler with ice. Do not like to hear it running at night when sleeping as it is under the bed. Want to remove it to free up a lot of room and some weight at front hatch. Also that would leave a convenient 110-volt plug for whatever. Has anyone out there done this? If so how did you get to the rear screws that lock the refrigerator tie down?
rdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #2

I have the white hawk 26DSRB My outside fridge is in the rear compartment of my tt. All I did to remove it was to take out the 2 screws from the aluminum strip at the bottom.There wasn't any screws in the rear, it was tight but I was able to wiggle it out and remove.There is a thermostat knob top right rear of the fridge yours might be turned down too low.
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #3

I took our fridge out before our first trip. Ours was in the front, and IIRC, once I got the two front screw out I just had to slide the fridge sideways a but to release if from the rear "clamp" - it only has one screw and the other side is open. Once it's out removing the last screw is a piece of cake. I love the extra storage space...
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #4

I love the outside fridge in our eagle ht....keeps my beer cold and the kids juices cold. If the door gets opened and closed a lot in the dead of summer, it is kinda hard for the fridge to keep up, but im not gonna complain with it 95* outside and high humidity. I love our outdoor fridge.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #5

I too love our outside fridge. I had no problem keeping stuff cold, mine kept freezing things but once I got the temperature dialed in it is great to have outside the camper. Keeping it loaded with drinks keeps everyone, especially the kids.

Ours is in the front compartment near the bed and on my side, it is not loud at all. I am sure you can find a fridge that is quite and will do what you need it to.
Eaglechief_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #6

Love the fridge in our 27 DSRL. Keeps beer and wine very cold. The only thing that holds ours in is two screws in the front. I think there is a temp control on the back of this particular fridge but I have never bothered to find it to make any adjustment. I did hook up a power strip to turn it on and off, because I keep 120 volt power on in trailer at home. Some people have said that their fridges have frozen their beverages, so maybe you can find the temp adjuster.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #7

Mine is held in place with two screws and a cross bar in the back. I have turned my temp. knob all the way to the coldest and still does not keep a constant temp. Looks like I would pop off a thin side panel to get to one screw, maybe slide the fridge to the right enough to get at the other screw.
Thank you for your comments.
rdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdream View Post
Mine is held in place with two screws and a cross bar in the back. I have turned my temp. knob all the way to the coldest and still does not keep a constant temp. Looks like I would pop off a thin side panel to get to one screw, maybe slide the fridge to the right enough to get at the other screw.
Thank you for your comments.
Perhaps a warranty claim either through Jayco or the manufacturer?

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #9

Mine doesn't keep a consistent temperature either. I'm either at 2/3 to full crank just to get the mountains light blue on the Coors Light can. We tend to have longer transits between campsites during our road trips, and by the time we arrive it's been 9-10 hours. I'm guessing that it's having problems because it gets worked harder on a daily basis.

I may end up taking out the fridge from next season. I can use more storage, and a little additional tongue weight isn't a concern with our 1-ton.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:21 PM   #10

I just bought a new WH 27DSRL. I was going through the info on the front refrigerator to try and figure how to turn it on. Finally, I figured out you had to reach way in and bump my head in the process. The literature from the manufacturer said it was adjacent to the freezer compartment. Considering most of us will be turning it up or down, this seems like an improper choice of vendor. I'll deal with it for now but will probably pull the fridge next year. It is too hard for me to adjust.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #11

The fridge in my 2013 WH 30DSRE works great. The thermostat is inside of mine rather than on the outside back which makes it a lot easier to turn on and set. Mine will act like a freezer if I turn it to the lowest setting.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #12

I took out mine also. We only boondock with no AC so it was of no use to us. I was able to remove it easily.
The space I recovered by taking it our I installed a hose real and hose to capture water from the lake we camp at.
tawoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #13

Love the idea, very handy, use for drinks and misc overflow from the main fridge. Even put bait [shrimp] in there when camping near the gulf. What I don't like is the top / rear position of the temp control. Impossible to "see" where you have it set and its all by feel. Had a "dorm" fridge in our garage when one of the kids brought one back from University. Kept my beer and cokes out there and kept us out of wife's main kitchen fridge.

I figure when this one dies I'll replace it with a unit I find on sale at Wally World or on-line with a normal inside temp control and all will be good. The space I would recover by removing the fridge would quickly be filled w/ more stuff we probably don't need so I see no gain from removing the fridge.

Great idea by Jayco, really stupid decision by someone who selected the model with the top/rear control.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote