Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #1

Guadalupe River RV Resort, Kerrville, TX

We stayed there during the week last week. Sorry, we actually didn't take ANY pictures of the campground, but some of it is viewable in Google Maps street view.

This privately owned campground right at the North side of Kerrville, TX was quite large compared to many parks we have been to. We chose site number 9 because some friends of ours were showing up on our last day to stay the weekend. This is billed as "the quiet" side of the park; it's quiet in the sense that it's mostly quiet families, the road noise is a different story and was often somewhat disruptive. Sites were larger, full hookups, 50 amp, cable and WiFi available for an extra charge (we opted out because we thought the sites were priced somewhat high any way and we didn't care too much about being "connected" this trip). When you arrive, you are led to your site by an employee who helps you place your rig and shows you relevant hookup information.

The amenities around the park are plentiful and well maintained. There are 3 pools; one for "families" one for adults only (), and one indoor pool with hot tub, steam room and sauna (popular in the winter time). There is a bar that is open Fridays and Saturdays, and they often have live music and/or a DJ. The campground does have access to the Guadalupe River, but this area of the river is VERY wide and shallow, so river fun is somewhat limited; tubing or canoeing/kayaking isn't really possible on this part of the river.

Throughout the park and near the river front there are hanging swinging benches that are nice for a relaxing break from the action. There are barbecue pits and picnic tables down there too.

This park also has cabins for rent, and a handful of permanent sites occupied by small manufactured homes. There is a place to park extra trailers (such as tandem golf cart trailers) and trucks if you want to park extra vehicles away from your site. The park is VERY well suited to golf carts, and you can rent them from the park if you like. However, I'm relatively certain that Kerrville doesn't have an ordinance allowing golf carts on public roadways, so they must stay within the park.

We visited Stonhenge 2 in Ingram, just up the road about 4 miles from the park and it was very interesting, I would recommend it. We also checked out Kerrville Shriners City Park. Kerrville Shriners is likely where we'll stay next time we visit Kerrville because the river access is better (deeper, so we can float or canoe) and the rates are much lower. Also, if you go to Kerrville, you have to visit Gibson's. That place has EVERYTHING; it is akin to the five-and-dime stores of old. If you need anything at all from ammunition to groceries, go there instead of Wally World, and you might just find a bit of charm you can't live without!

We ate a dinner at the restaurant across the street from the park called Rio Ranch Cafe, and it was very good. I had the chicken fried chicken, DW had the chicken fried steak; both were very good indeed. Our friends had a chicken dish that was very good and a burger. He said that the beans are the best he's ever had anywhere, and he would just eat a whole bowl of them. His DW said if he did that he'd be sleeping in a tent!

Overall our experience was very positive and we would not hesitate to go back. Kerrville is a neat little hill-country town.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Camper_bob,

Great overview on the Guadalupe River RV Resort...., an will help folks considering the area as a destination. I agree, the CG is one of the larger ones in the Hill Country area around Kerrville.

I'm very familiar with the Kerrville area, and spend a portion of my winter months a little west of Kerrville at the Johnson Creek RV Resort & Park.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #3

Guadalupe River RV Resort, Kerrville, TX

Thanks Bob! I try to give a run down on here every time I stay in a new place. I hope it catches on with other members, because I would much rather read about a place on here than just about anywhere else. Every time I go to a new place I search this forum for a review of the park.

I only wish I had gotten some pictures

I'm going to have to check out Johnson Creek, hopefully it's a bit more off the beaten path, as that's where I like to be!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote