Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #1

Front End of Tow Vehicle

I have a Jayco 26bh that I tow with a 2005 GMC Envoy XL (350 vortec). I have an E2 1000lb weight distro hitch. When I attach the trailer loaded the front end of the vehicle raises just a bit. The unloaded weight of the trailer is 4365. The max tow capacity of the Envoy is 6800lbs. I know that I'm close when it comes to the weight, but I don't carry too much in additional weight when it comes to cargo. Any suggestions on how to stop the front end from raising? It feels like I lose a bit of steering control, but just a little. Also, my mpg goes from 19mpg on the interstate w/o trailer to 6.5mpg @ 65mph. I have replaced the filter with a K&N which helped add about 5 mpg.

Let me sum up my rambling. I have 2 questions.

1) How can I make the truck stop lifting up in the front when towing?

2) How can I improve mpg?

I'm new to the towing game, and ultimately (in the next year or two) will be trading the Envoy for a Ram 2500, but I need a solution in the mean time... if there is one. Thanks for your help!
mandlgunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

that is the purpose of the E2 hitch. Any vehicle is going to raise in the front. The spring bars on the hitch are designed to bring it back down.

Who installed your hitch?

If you are not familiar with it find someone who can help.

Fuel economy sucks towing...nothing will really help it. Lowering your speed down to 55-60 will increase by 10-20percent generally

that 2500 will be a nice TV but don't expect any better fuel economy in the long run (towing and not towing)
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #3

Mileage, not much you can do but slow down a bit. You'll see some improvement driving at 60. Keep in mind you're towing a brick down the road.

As far as the front end goes, GM specifications say that with the WD hitch the front wheel lip should be back at stock height. The only way to do that is to adjust the hitch. I don't have a Equalizer brand hitch so I can't offer any direct thoughts, but the angle of the ball can be adjusted to put more weight to the front wheels. There are videos online on how to do this, Etrailer.com has a bunch.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #4

Camping World installed the hitch when I purchased the trailer. I didn't think about adjusting it. I was wrong, it's the 10k hitch.
mandlgunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandlgunter View Post
Camping World installed the hitch when I purchased the trailer. I didn't think about adjusting it. I was wrong, it's the 10k hitch.
you were right in your first post as well....the 1000 lbs should be your spring bar weight allowance

the 10000 is the weight limit of the shank or "head"

I would head right back there if you can and tell them to take some time to demonstrate the hitch and how to adjust it. There are 2 ways on the E2 but I think the dealer dropped the ball on this one and they should fix it
Old 09-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

you should have received a manual but here is a link if you didn't and if you want to attempt it yourself. Unlikely you will have the socket and torque bar big enough to remove the shank bolts to add washers(if the dealer gave you some) if you need...you can raise the adjusters on the trailer frame as well.
http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/support/
Old 09-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to JOF!

Quote:
Camping World installed the hitch when I purchased the trailer......snip
They sent you off the lot with a WDH adjusted to "unloaded" conditions, assuming they adjusted it correctly. Once a TV/TT combination is "loaded" ready for camping for the first time, most WDH's have to be re-adjusted because of the effect of the added weight. It's almost impossible to pre-adjust a WDH for an unknown TV/TT loaded condition, plus we all have different loading habits.

If you plan to take your TV/TT back to CW for adjustment, I would simulate your average TV/TT "loaded" condition as much as possible so the re-adjustment produces the desired effect. If you normally travel with fresh water in the TT tank, then fill the tank prior to the re-adjustment (makes a big difference depending on tank location).

If you ever get a chance, taking your TV/TT to a CAT scale under loaded conditions is the only way to truly "dial-in" the WDH adjustment, and confirm one's weights.

TV/TT CAT scale how-to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3871

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post

They sent you off the lot with a WDH adjusted to "unloaded" conditions, assuming they adjusted it correctly. Once a TV/TT combination is "loaded" ready for camping for the first time, most WDH's have to be re-adjusted because of the effect of the added weight. It's almost impossible to pre-adjust a WDH for an unknown TV/TT loaded condition, plus we all have different loading habits.
exactly but where this dealer failed was handing him/her the keys without any knowledge of how the system worked or how to adjust it.

More important part of the delivery IMO than anything on the trailer.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #9

Quote:
I have replaced the filter with a K&N which helped add about 5 mpg.
Just want to be sure...The K&N filter brought you from 6.5MPG towing to 11.5 mg towing?? Anyway, my experience has been that depending on road and whether conditions, I get anywhere from 8 to 11mpg towing, but mostly stay in the 9-10 range...
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:00 PM   #10

Just raise the "L" brackets on the RV one hole. That'll move slightly more weight to the front end of the truck.