Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Zad

Will a Supco spp6 Hard Start Capacitor help me? Pics of my ac electronics...

I am wondering if I need a hard start capacitor given what my Coleman Mach 13,500 btu has in it? I am wanting to use a 2400ishc yamaha generator and want to make sure it works with as little effort as possible. If a supco spp6 would help, how would I hook it up. Here are pics of what I have:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0295.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	8027Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0296.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	8028
Old 05-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Zad

Hi Again,
Just to be clear, I planned to use the spp6, NOT the spp6e as per a discussion with a tech at supco.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Zad

I guess I am having a nice conversation with myself here...kinda like talking out loud it would seem. So, I found another thread:

http://www.modmyrv.com/2009/05/27/rv...tart-capacitor

and from this thread I learned that the small round black cylinder is the OEM start capacitor. What is interesting is that the OEM part has 88-108 mfd on it and I am assuming this means that the
stock start capacitor is as powerful as the supco unit and thus that the supco would not provide any additional power to startup. Looking forward to hearing from those of you who know much more than I...an easy task.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I guess I am having a nice conversation with myself here...kinda like talking out loud it would seem. ...
My Grandfather always quipped that there was nothing wrong with talking to yourself... it was when you start arguing loudly that it may indicate a problem.

I'm not an HVAC expert. In my experience hard start components are generally used when there are problems with a compressor unit. Sometimes the added hard start will buy some time on a sealed compressor unit which is having problems. There is generally nothing to lose so it is worth a shot. Sometimes it extends the service time of the unit for a long time.

If hard start design was a good thing it would be included on all units OEM. Within most designs there is compromise. There can be problems associated with changing the capacitor values from OEM. It can introduce unwanted voltage spikes and affect the starting torque of a unit. In my opinion the hard start units are a maintenance tool and bandaid for sealed compressor problems. I don't think that I would install one on an otherwise good A/C unit.

Perhaps my comments will get someone with more information to chime in. Good luck. vic
Old 05-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #5

For what it is worth, I had a Coleman Mach AC unit on our previous Jacyo (2009 321 FKS) My KIPOR 3000 gen set would not start the AC eventhough it started the AC unit on our previous RV. I e-mailed the Coleman address found on the owners manual and explained my problem. They wanted the Model and Serial number. Once I gave them that information the told me the part number of a soft start cap that was compatable with my unit. Cost $18.00 from my Jayco dealor including shipping and took 5 minutes for me to install. Worked like a charm. Never had any problems after that.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #6

I am looking to make purchase of same generator you mention with 2011 Jayco 5th wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I am wondering if I need a hard start capacitor given what my Coleman Mach 13,500 btu has in it? I am wanting to use a 2400ishc yamaha generator and want to make sure it works with as little effort as possible. If a supco spp6 would help, how would I hook it up. Here are pics of what I have:
Attachment 8027Attachment 8028
Same AC unit you mention as well. Have you tried yet? And if so what where results. Thanks
jabel95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #7

Hi Zad....

To install the hard start kit...just follow the directions that came with the kit. I'm not familiar with the supco kit you are talking about. I am an HVAC contractor for 25+ years. I typically use OEM recommended parts for a hard start kit...capacitors, relay I purchase seperately. Usually the kits come with detailed instructions. If you lived close by....I'd come by and hook it up for you no charge :-).
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #8

Dometic and Coleman roof air units already have start components. The hard start kit thing is something that got started on the Internet and people who knew nothing about air conditioners decided that they needed one, or they think it will compensate for a cheap generator. You will cause more problems by piggy-backing a hard start kit on a unit that already has a start capacitor and relay.
Also, if you have to ask how to install one, that's a good sign that you shouldn't even be thinking of ordering one. Leave stuff like that to the AC guys.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Dometic and Coleman roof air units already have start components. The hard start kit thing is something that got started on the Internet and people who knew nothing about air conditioners decided that they needed one, or they think it will compensate for a cheap generator. You will cause more problems by piggy-backing a hard start kit on a unit that already has a start capacitor and relay.
Also, if you have to ask how to install one, that's a good sign that you shouldn't even be thinking of ordering one. Leave stuff like that to the AC guys.
Thanks Bob for the help. DIY and HVAC dont mix. I should have said that before. I've been in the HVAC field for along time and have seen some weird stuff people do and it creates more work for us and hassles as well.
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #10

I an appreciate that. I've been a Dometic Marine AirConditioning servicing dealer for 15 years, so I do know a little bit about it myself. If you read enough of these threads on various forums it will become evident that there are a lot of people offering air conditioner advice that do not know a thing about it. Everyone's solution is a hard start kit or a run capacitor, or it needs freon.

The rooftop units that the manufactures decide need start components already have them. If they do not, it's because the design engineers decided that because of low starting amperage, or whatever, it's not needed. Occasionally, a compressor in a system that does not contain one will develop a need it. That's usually is because of something changing in the compressor or it needs a little help with a generator. What most people don't seem to understand is that the suppco hard start kits are nothing more than a start capacitor and a start relay. They also don't understand the effect of combining capacitors, thinking that more is better, it isn't.

All of that said, forums are what they are and you just have to learn to weed out the good information from that is just posted because someone just wanted to jump in and post something.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #11

Here's someone who installed a hard start with good results for his 17c and Yamaha 2400ISHC generator. He didn't mention the brand name of the parts.

I don't know what the long term effect will be, but it's working for him now. FWIW. vic

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...369#post137369
Old 07-22-2015, 06:48 PM   #12

I just bought an SPP 6 hard start capacitor for my 1997 Coleman AC unit on my trailer I bought it because my 3000 watt generator will not start it it will sometimes but most time no and I thought maybe I could get it to start it runs fine on my house electricity can somebody tell me if I'm crazy to add this to it or if it is good idea
peterbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Couple View Post
Hi Zad....

To install the hard start kit...just follow the directions that came with the kit. I'm not familiar with the supco kit you are talking about. I am an HVAC contractor for 25+ years. I typically use OEM recommended parts for a hard start kit...capacitors, relay I purchase seperately. Usually the kits come with detailed instructions. If you lived close by....I'd come by and hook it up for you no charge :-).
The Supco SPP6 says to hook it up to the run capacitor. I was thinking 9if the Coleman mach AC already comes with a hard start capacitor,) why not hook them up in parallel? That way, more power from the Capacitors and less power requirement from the Generator?

THOUGHTS?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote