Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #1

Seneca Rolls Forward When Retracting Jacks

A question for any Seneca owners with the '13 chassis with rear air bags. When retracting the leveling jacks, does your coach roll forward as the jacks raise up? My unit makes a uneasy noise as the jacks slide on the ground and the rig rolls forward 6-8 inches. What's up with that? Thanks for any insight.
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to JOF!

I don't own a MH, but what your describing I haven't heard of before, especially a 6" to 8" roll, and assuming that your on level ground.

I'm sure some of JOF's MH owners will chime in shortly with some feedback.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #3

Is you parking brake engaged (as it should be)?
Old 04-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

I always chock the wheels no matter what. I use to work at an Automobile dealership and saw plenty of cars and trucks that came in for repair where the transmission parking pawl either broke or did not engage. There have been many recalls over the years about this. Use wheel chocks and sleep safely and don't worry about rolling down hill during the night or rolling around during heavy winds.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:56 PM   #5

I have a 2014 TS Seneca with air ride rear suspension also. I have the same issue but it moves about 1 to 2 inches, maybe. But your right, the first time it did it, I almost jumped out of my skin. Chuck
ci4mynewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #6

Chuck thanks for letting me know I'm not alone! It must have to do with the rear air bag suspension acting like a pivot when the jacks lift then "rolling" forward when the suspension settles back down. My concern is the jack cylinders are designed only to have vertical not horizontal loads. As they retract and the rig rolls what is this doing to the shaft and seals?
Old 04-25-2014, 05:57 PM   #7

IIRC the front jacks retract first (both with the BIG FOOT and POWER GEAR systems) so the front wheels are able to roll as the rear jacks raise up. To me the best solution would be to chock the front wheels when you park if you are on any kind of a slope.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #8

Agree just chock the wheels depending which way you can roll.
greyhawk885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #9

So, after much back and forth talking with Quadra (Big Foot) and Jayco regarding the movement of the chassis and the stress on both the hydraulic cylinders and frame mounts, Big Foot is concerned that the jacks and mounts will be damaged over time. Jayco tells me "our engineering department says this is normal and is of no concern". Really? The component manufacture has an issue with it but not Jayco? Any other 2013 and newer owners concerned about this? My issue is when the warranty expires and the following occurs we are stuck with the bill:

* shaft seals fail and leak from horizontal stress on the shafts, these shafts are designed for vertical loads only

* frame brackets and subsequent welds on frame not designed for horizontal pressure and can fail from repeated forward movement

* shafts can bend over repeated forward movement

The lead tech at Quadra told me Jayco needs to install the larger jack system to be able to handle the stress of the forward movement which is attributed the the rear air suspension design. Jayco has used the lightweight system on the Senecas which according to Quadra is at its maximum limit.

What to do?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #10

They will all roll if on an incline while lowering jacks. Always chock the wheels against the roll prior to raising, then move just 1/4 inch or so closer to the tire after you are leveled. No roll on the way down but you will need to back up or go forward a bit after lowering. Hope this helps.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #11

Hi. I have a 2015 Seneca TS. Was parked on a drive way with a bit more slope than I thought and used the levelers. The rear Big Foots lifted the rear tires off the ground. I had chocked the tires so no roll at all but I noted the rear tires would rotate. I would have thought the parking brake would have prevented that. Thoughts?

I now realize overextending the levelers is probably not a good idea and will get some blocks made up to use in the future.

Foster 15
Foster15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #12

Mine also rolls a bit. Been using wheel chocks.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote