Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #1

Question refrigerator not running on gas

Ok-- have a 2013 Whitehawk 26 DSRB w/ Norcold frig. and when switcching to gas mode green and amber lights flash. Propane tanks are on and full,fuse is good and exhaust looks clear--- any suggestions?
Tanker Yanker 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #2

Did you bleed the air out of the propane system? If not, turn on the stove for a couple minutes to ensure all the air is out, then cycle the switch on the fridge and try again.

If not that, make sure the safety valves in your tanks and pigtails weren't tripped. Turn off the tank valve, disconnect the pigtail from the tank, tap the fitting on something firm, reattach the pigtails to the tanks, then turn the tank valves on VERY SLOWLY to keep the safeties from tripping again. Bleed using the stove, and cycle the fridge again.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #3

Also, how long does it take for the lights to begin flashing? In my case, the fridge will try a few times to light, if it can't light on propane, the lights on the panel begin flashing. It might take a minute for the fault to show up on the fridge.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #4

As Camper bob mentioned, try lighting a burner on the stove first.
Also, someone else recently had this issue on here and the gas was turned off in the access panel behind the fridge. Might want to look at that. There is a little serrated knob I think. I will look for that thread.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #5

Here ya go. Page 2, post # 12 on this thread:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...t=21803&page=2
Old 09-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #6

Camper_bob, howie--- thanks much for the help--- turns out I was a little impatient --- it was air in the lines--- I just re-cycled the door switch a few times and that did the trick. I really should have known better-- next time I'll think things through. Thanks again for your quick responses. Now we're heading out to the beach for a few days and DW is happy!
Tanker Yanker 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker Yanker 43 View Post
Camper_bob, howie--- thanks much for the help--- turns out I was a little impatient --- it was air in the lines--- I just re-cycled the door switch a few times and that did the trick. I really should have known better-- next time I'll think things through. Thanks again for your quick responses. Now we're heading out to the beach for a few days and DW is happy!
You coulda just said it was fixed. Now I'm all jealous and stuff!! Have a good trip!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

I had this problem to. First I noticed that if I lit a burner on the stove the fridge would work ok after that. I could not find a leak so I did some head scratching. I played around with this problem and found that if I turned the fridge off until I heard the relays click (about 1 -2 seconds) and then set the switch to gas it always worked. Also it worked fine if I disconnected the 110v power and let it switch to gas on its own. Bottom line is flipping the switch from auto to gas all at once just doesn't work.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
Also it worked fine if I disconnected the 110v power and let it switch to gas on its own.
This is how we discovered we had a problem. We always leave the switch set to auto. DW preps the interior for travel while I take care of the exterior. She judiciously ensured the fridge was switched to auto as per her list and instructions. We finished up departure proceedings, and got on the road. 3 hrs later she went in to use the facilities and found that the fridge had failed to light on propane. Cause? We didn't bleed the air out of the system. So when we unplugged the shore power at the house (the last step in departure proceedings), the fridge tried to light on propane, failed, and for 3 hrs those lights blinked away in the trailer. Solution: we bleed the system of air, switch the fridge to gas, let it light and run for a minute, then switch it back to auto. We also verify the fridge is running on gas before we depart, and I check it when we stop by listening to the outside fridge vent as I walk by.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

I had the same thing happen. That is why I got in the habit of checking the fridge after we disconnect from shore power. If you have to bleed the system to get it to work you must have a leak somewhere although it may be so slow that it isn't detectable. I have a new TT and have the same problem. My old TT I could leave untouched for long periods and never have a problem. So, I light a burner on the stove for a second or so before I disconnect shore power just in case. :-)
Old 09-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
I had the same thing happen. That is why I got in the habit of checking the fridge after we disconnect from shore power. If you have to bleed the system to get it to work you must have a leak somewhere although it may be so slow that it isn't detectable. I have a new TT and have the same problem. My old TT I could leave untouched for long periods and never have a problem. So, I light a burner on the stove for a second or so before I disconnect shore power just in case. :-)
I guess it could be a very small leak somewhere. I always just figured it was because when my trailer is in storage, I close the propane valves. Weeks later when I get it out and ready for a trip, I open the valves up and bleed the system. Just my process.

But I've often wondered since it's a closed system, where does the propane I left in the lines go?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

There may be some air in the LP line, so it may take a few attempts before it will ignite, may even take a half dozen attempts before it stays lit.

Check the ignitor area for any debris.

Also, make sure that there isn't any corrosion around the ignitor mounting screw, it's the electrical grounding point for the ignitor.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:56 AM   #13

I always leave my propane turned off at home between trips. Always go out the day before departing and turn the propane back on. Then go in and turn on the refrig. Usually will not light and fault light comes on. I go ahead and bleed lines through the stove top and light the stove. When that is burning, I turn the refrig back on and it invariably lights every time. Usually just have to bleed the lines to get it to work. Just normal operating procedure with gas appliances when the gas has been turned off.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
I always leave my propane turned off at home between trips. Always go out the day before departing and turn the propane back on. Then go in and turn on the refrig. Usually will not light and fault light comes on. I go ahead and bleed lines through the stove top and light the stove. When that is burning, I turn the refrig back on and it invariably lights every time. Usually just have to bleed the lines to get it to work. Just normal operating procedure with gas appliances when the gas has been turned off.
That's my process exactly. But it still begs the question: Where does the propane go that was left in the line after you turned off the valves last time? It eventually bleeds out somewhere, otherwise there would still be gas in the line from the last time you had the tanks on. Right?

I always just accepted it and made bleeding part of my process, but now my curiosity is piqued!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Yea I agree, where does the propane go in a closed system. My old TT never lost any propane in the lines even after long period of being turned off. The fridge would start up on gas every time. My new TT is a Jayco Eagle and if the fridge isn't run on propane often or if the stove isn't lit it will blink because it didn't start on gas. I wonder if the check valve is closing when dormant. Since the fridge uses very little gas maybe it isn't enough to open the valve when trying to light. But it lights right away after lighting a stove burner. humm.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:30 PM   #16

We are just buying our first TT (2012 Jayco White hawk DSRB), and as such have been reading and learning a lot from this site. So now, as a newbie, I have a question... in the posts above 'shore power' is mentioned. What is that? I'm in Canada...?
Jon&Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #17

when you have the trailer plugged in and fridge on auto it always goes to electric mode ... once you unplug the trailer for travel the fridge switches automatically to gas since electricity is no longer present
Old 02-27-2015, 05:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon&Cher View Post
We are just buying our first TT (2012 Jayco White hawk DSRB), and as such have been reading and learning a lot from this site. So now, as a newbie, I have a question... in the posts above 'shore power' is mentioned. What is that? I'm in Canada...?
Just a slang slang term for the trailer being plugged into the campground's AC electrical power.

And welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first TT.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:29 AM   #19

I have a problem in lighting the pilot light for the hot water heater...I never get that going, and end up turning the knob to the normal burn to start the flame. I have to take this TT back to the dealer for warranty, as I have noticed the rubber gas line from the tank has a severe bend in it from the tank to the underside; to me it looks like its restricting the gas flow.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote