Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #1

Cool Toilet question

Have Seneca with tank less water heater. That We like. Question is why does it turn on while flushing toilet. I know they used to add hot to toilets in days past. Does anyone know if they are still doing that? The idea was to warm the water a bit to reduce condensation on the outside of the black tank. By the way the flushing water never gets warm to the touch no matter how long you flush it.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhawk885 View Post
Have Seneca with tank less water heater. By the way the flushing water never gets warm to the touch no matter how long you flush it.
I just have to ask the big one on this, well on second thought I think I'll pass.
Dave?
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #3

Your toilet water line should only be a single cold water supplied line. I suppose it's possible that the trailer was designed to supply a mix of hot and cold to the toilet that was somehow T'd into to single supply line to the toilet though, the only thing to do is trace the toilet line to its start point. It is more likely that the water heater firing is a coincident, so that begs a new question; why is my tank less water heater firing when there is no call from hot water to be supplied?

- Check all your hot water faucets to make sure they are fully closed and not dripping, remember, if so equipped, to check your outside shower too. From there, starting from the hot water heater out, check all your hot water supply lines for leaks. The tank should, and is designed to, only fire when there is a call for hot water to be supplied so, if it's not the toilet, there's a problem somewhere that needs to be addressed and I hope it's only a leaky faucet.
BNear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #4

Maybe it's a bidet!! [emoji1]

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:00 AM   #5

Is the water heater really firing or are you just seeing hot water coming in from your supply hose that is laying on the ground in the sun? In the summer when I turn on my cold water I get cold water for a few seconds and then much warmer water that is coming from outside in the sun and then colder water again when I see water coming from underground.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #6

Try bypassing the water heater and see if it kicks on when you flush that way.

Another idea, maybe the cold water flow is so great that the water pressure in the hot side drops so much the heater "thinks" water is flowing though it. Just a theory of mine. Will it come on if you open up all the cold faucets in the trailer too?
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #7

Will not come on when only cold water faucets are opened. Tried that put on 3 of four. there are not any water leaks either from any faucets either inside or outside. If you use fresh tank with water pump it will stay pressurized for months after shutting off the pump. No leaks anywhere in lines. Park it on a concrete slab nothing. Just kicks on when toilet is flushed. Not really a big thing, just curious about it.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #8

Oh yes it kicks on no question about that.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #9

Will not kick on with 3 of 4 cold waters running. No leaks in faucets or lines. Lines stay pressurized for months after shutting off pump for fresh water tank usage. Comes on with outside hook up or internal fresh tank usage. Not a big deal just curious about it.