Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #1

Battery Cut-off question

This might seem a little silly as I don't leave my battery in the camper while in storage. I take the battery to the camper before every trip and install it before leaving and take it back home with me after each trip. My question is that every time I hook it up, it "sparks". This makes me nervous thinking sometime the battery might explode or something. Am I correct in thinking a cut-off will eliminate this?, or is the little spark not enough to do any harm. Thanks
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #2

its fine its always going to happen, there is nothing to worry about
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey965 View Post
its fine its always going to happen, there is nothing to worry about

x2

I did the same thing with my TT for 8 years......never had a problem

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:51 AM   #4

Wow, sounds like a Lot of trouble to me. Especially since my last two units have two batteries. I have been camping for 30 years and never removed a battery unless it needed to be replaced.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:19 AM   #5

It's not a problem. There are capacitors in the radio and propane alarms that must charge when power is applied. That is likely the sparking you see.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
This might seem a little silly as I don't leave my battery in the camper while in storage. I take the battery to the camper before every trip and install it before leaving and take it back home with me after each trip. My question is that every time I hook it up, it "sparks". This makes me nervous thinking sometime the battery might explode or something. Am I correct in thinking a cut-off will eliminate this?, or is the little spark not enough to do any harm. Thanks
The spark that you experience is a very normal reaction.. It is showing you that when you hook your battery cables up, there is a power draw in your trailer. That is to be expected!!! I would suggest that you buy a battery disconnect. It would allow you to disconnect the power to your trailer without removing the battery every time you leave it. would save a lot of time and is very convenient to use. if the battery is not being drawn down while you don't use it, it will maintain its charge for long periods of time. I would still remove the battery for winter storage. but the rest of the time it would stay in the trailer..
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
My question is that every time I hook it up, it "sparks". This makes me nervous thinking sometime the battery might explode or something. Am I correct in thinking a cut-off will eliminate this?, or is the little spark not enough to do any harm. Thanks
The battery cutoff switch will eliminate the spark when connecting and disconnecting the battery. My converter fan immediately comes on (then shuts off) when I connect a battery as part of the converters power-up / self-check process.....I (used to) get a spark as well. I now have a disconnect.

Speaking as one who watched a car battery blow-up in a mechanics face as he connected a battery ( I was 10' away)...not only will the explosion scare the crap out you...but rinsing a mans face and eyes out for 30 min after being sprayed with battery acid wondering if he'll ever see again - is not an afternoon you'll forget.

Like you....I'm overly cautious about connecting a battery.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #8

I agree that 2 batteries would be a pain if you had them in/out on a regular basis. When I started out I just pulled the 30A fuse. After several batteries in the storage facility went on a "walk about" I started removing it but would set it just inside the TT door ( I had a loose batt box for it). Wing nuts made the removal/install easy. I had the habit of connecting the "+" side first and don't recall seeing a spark when connecting the "-" side. Notice my choice of word: "recall".

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote