Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #1

24 Deep Cycle Dead Battery ? I'm clueless

I have an interstate 24SM?? Deep Cycle Marine Battery that I need to replace. I know absolutely ZIP about batteries.... Jayco Manual says I need either a 12-volt Group 24 or 27 ....... looking at websites for pricing of deep cycle, I get into 24DC 24MS What the heck does that mean... I'm so lost on this stuff, what about Wallie-Worlds Everstart batteries? Moderately priced?

Guidence please!
starchazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Site Team

If you are going only to campgrounds with electric hookups you only need a single group 24 marine/starting battery provided the battery is kept properly charged during periods of non use.
Deep Cycle is better but not required for that type of camping. If you will be camping off grid, then you need larger deep cycle battery(s).
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #3

A quick search on this site and around the net will give you more information than you ever wanted to know.

12v or two 6v, True Deep Cycle or marine batteries, Wet cell or AGM, Size and weights.

Lots to learn, the choices are yours.
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
If you are going only to campgrounds with electric hookups you only need a single group 24 marine/starting battery provided the battery is kept properly charged during periods of non use.
Deep Cycle is better but not required for that type of camping. If you will be camping off grid, then you need larger deep cycle battery(s).
How you answer the above question will determine how we can help you!

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #5

Starchezr, what type of camping do you do? This is critical to know to help you pick out the best battery for your needs. For example are you always at a full hook up site, or do you periodically off the grid for two nights. Do you like go places for extended periods of time off the grid with or without a generator. If you like to boondock how is your power management skills?

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #6

I basically will be going to sites that have full hook up. At some point I may decide to go off the grid, but that at this point it's not in the mix. I have a "new to me" used 19' TT Sport that I'm getting up to maint specs, so other than all the fixes I'm doing, I need to replace the dead battery. I know it's a 12volt 24 deep cycle.... but shopping will list 24M 24SRM 24DC... and is one brand better over another for the added pricing? Seems these are ranging anywhere from $60 - $120
starchazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchazr View Post
I basically will be going to sites that have full hook up. At some point I may decide to go off the grid, but that at this point it's not in the mix.
Based on what you said above, I think you should stick with a standard 12VDC SRM-24 RV/Marine battery. It are both cheap and dependable. You can use this as your "TRAINING" battery that will prepare you for when you decide to take on Dry-camping. Why waste money on power you will not be using for a while. There are other things you will need to do prior to successful dry-camping, installing LED lights, power conservation, possible 120VAC inverter.... Maybe even SOLAR J
The batteries that are usually shipped with TT's are the Interstate brand. The 2 common sizes are the basic SRM-24 (84Ah Amp hours) and next larger size is the SRM-27 (96Ah). Not much difference between them, but they are different sizes.

I would stick with the SRM-24 as it will fit in your existing battery case. Also, check to see that the TT's Battery Charge Controller is working properly, or have a professional check it for you.

Just my thoughts,
Don
Let us know what you do!!!
Old 04-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
Site Team

^^^ I agree. I have been using the Grp 24 Interstate battery that came with my trailer for 4 1/2 years now with no issues. We only camp with electric hookups at present.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:44 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Group 24 batteries are smaller than group 27 batteries. Group 27 batteries have a larger capacity. Measure your battery box. A group 27 battery is typically 12.75" x 6.88" x 9.88" or roughly 2" longer than a group 24. Don't buy a marine deep cycle battery. A RV needs a regular deep cycle battery as it doesn't need to start a motor and will give a better deep cycle say to 40 or 50% discharge than a marine deep cycle battery. I buy my group 27 batteries at Walmart who has the best price. The one I just bought is made by Exide and is a very good battery. They also charge a core fee of $9 if you don't trade in the old battery. The $9 core fee is way less than most.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #10

If you are camping at full hook up sites, then really the batteries primary use is for the emergency breakaway switch to engage the electric brakes in case something bad would happen on the road. With that said, a cheaper battery is all you need.

The battery does need periodic maintenance, you need to pop the caps a few times a year and add distilled water, only use distilled water. Fill only to the bottom of the plastic insert. By doing this maintenance you can expect about 7 years out of the battery.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:54 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

X2

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:00 AM   #12

24dc

I agree with wwsmith111; its a good summary and recommandation.
serge90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
Don't buy a marine deep cycle battery. A RV needs a regular deep cycle battery as it doesn't need to start a motor and will give a better deep cycle say to 40 or 50% discharge than a marine deep cycle battery.
This conversation could go on for days, as it all boils down to personal preference. When you look at the actual drain on the battery, it will be about 10amps for about 20 seconds after the trailer breaks away from the TV and engages the electric braking system. There are a few other loads that the 24 size battery will accomodate easily, tongue jack, slide out, but I usually plug into the shore power before I use them, unless I am dry camping.

If there was a dry-camping requirement (but there is not one) then a TRUE deep cycle battery will be recommended.

This is why just about all TT's that are sold come with marine/RV type 24 batteries. They are reliable, inexpensive and have thicker plates than a regular automotive battery and have a good reserve voltage.
All that needs to be done is to keep up a good battery maintenance program, but that holds true for any type of lead acid battery, car, boat, RV, Solar...

Just my thoughs,
Don
Old 04-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

I disagree that all you need is a cheaper smaller battery. Most of us "dry camp" on the way to our destinations or just boondocking. Many things run off the batteries including the water pump, lights, furnace, etc. Many of us install an inverter which gives us 110V power which runs off the battery and allows us to watch TV use the microwave, etc. I have upgraded to twin group 27 batteries just so I can have all the conveniences without being hooked. My A/C will even run off my inverter for about one to two hours which in convenient if you stop for a short break such as lunch. My fridge will run off the inverter if needed in case one runs out of propane. I turn my inverter on while traveling so the fridge uses 110v power rather than draining my propane. Of course the tow vehicle is charging the batteries underway. Just some food for thought.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #15

I just bought a new TT and had this conversation with the techs. I told them that most of my camping would be boondocking and they convinced me that two group 24 batteries paralleled together are better than two group 27 batteries which couldn't be paralleled together. I'm gathering from what I have read that I have been misinformed. Am I correct in saying that?
tnmcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #16

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchazr View Post
I have an interstate 24SM?? Deep Cycle Marine Battery that I need to replace. I know absolutely ZIP about batteries.... Jayco Manual says I need either a 12-volt Group 24 or 27 ....... looking at websites for pricing of deep cycle, I get into 24DC 24MS What the heck does that mean... I'm so lost on this stuff, what about Wallie-Worlds Everstart batteries? Moderately priced?

Guidence please!
1st thing you need to decide, if you are going to be hooked up then one 12volt
Battery sealed preferably ( no topping up fluids) . If you are going to boondocks
In sunny areas (Arizona) then you could use 2-6volt and a solar panel 90-100 watts and you will be independent . This will power your lights ( LEDs hopefully)
Radio, water pump. And a fan ..
Old 04-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #17

You have to look at Amp Hour for the batteries. I don't remember how group 27 compare to group 27. I chose to go with 4 AGM batteries for 600 Ah at 12V. I will add 600 Watt of solar next year with an inverter. I only boondock and have run two 6V Deep Cycle down when in the trailer a lot and if your running the furnace much.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #18
Lost in the Woods

There is no reason that two group 27 batteries can't be paralleled together vs say two group 24s. The group 27 batteries just have a larger capacity. I have never bought an RV with Marine deep cycle batteries installed. They have all come with regular deep cycle batteries. I just bought a new 2014 Jayco Eagle and it had a regular deep cycle Exide installed by the dealer. The bottom line is that you need a battery, why not by the correct one as the cost is going to be in the same ball park? I just bought a bass boat. It had a Marine deep cycle battery to runs the electronics and start the motor, and a second regular deep cycle battery to run the bait wells. Buy the right battery for the job. If all else fails read the Jayco owners manual which clearly states that a regular deep cycle battery should be used. From page 6-3 of my Jayco Eagle owner's manual:
"The 12-volt DC electrical system is designed for usage with a Group 27, deep cycle battery."
Old 04-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #19

As I understand it (probably miss informed).

Deep cycle batteries that give a Cold Cranking Amps are marine type deep cycle, that is they are also used to start engines. Golf cart style batteries are true deep cycle batteries made for more cycles and are less damaged by the occasional deep discharge.

My FW came with 2 group 24 Sterling Deep Cycle Batteries. They are Marine even though they don't say marine on them.