Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #21

Just curious, do these throw any heat? Sometimes I want the heat, sometimes I don't...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodes View Post
Hi all,

I just assigned DH to go and buy an Outland Fire Bowl (it was on sale at an RV place near his work.) He went and bought without question, but now I have a question! If we want to connect to the 30 lb LP tanks on our TT, do we need a special hose or a special regulator? I vaguely recall on our initial walkthrough that the dealer told us something about certain propane appliances being regulated differently so as to require a different connection ... anyway I admit I wasn't fully comprehending what she said.
I bought the Little Red Campfire from Amazon a couple years ago. It works pretty good. It has the POL connection to go direct to the bulk tank and built in regulator. We have used it under the awning, with modest flame height when it's raining. I carry an extra 20# cylinder in a old plastic milk crate and set it on the empty crate to get it up off the ground. When it burns the ceramic logs get sooty. You might want to keep a pr. of jersey gloves with it. Since the ceramic logs can be fragile and hard to find replacement, I wrap them in bubble wrap well to store.
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Just curious, do these throw any heat? Sometimes I want the heat, sometimes I don't...
Not too much heat when on low, although still some warmth if you're not too far away. On high, definitely some heat. This sounds silly but I actually liked having the propane fire sometimes. With a real campfire although it is far superior in terms of the real camping experience, I always have to wash all the smoke smell out of my hair before bed, kind of a pain when I have long hair!
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #24

And thanks Paul, we haven't tried that campground yet, but it's on our list. We are in Richmond. Our next trip will likely be back to WA so we'll be taking the propane campfire again!
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:44 PM   #25

our propane campfire came with a hose and regulator from Walmart. Works great and at $89 on sale you can't beat it. I cut the regulator off and installed a quick connect nipple so I could hook up to the built in QC on our 25RKS. I also put a QC on the regulator I cut off so I have the option of hooking up to a tank if needed. I also did the same for our BBQ so I can use it off the QC on the trailer or hook it to a tank.
dieselgord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:38 AM   #26

We have two of the propane fire pits. Love-em. In our area with the on going drought wood fires are almost always prohibited. And with the national parks and others requiring certified wood by spring of next year the cost of a real wood fire will be astronomical. Unless your rich propane is in your future.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:05 AM   #27

My solution to the "certified" firewood issue is to seek out the local big box lumber yard, buy a bunch of economy 2x4's and cut them into 16" lengths right at the campsite with my Milwaukee circular saw. Around here you can get 8 footers for $2.

Firewood regulations do zilch for stopping the spread of pests with wings.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #28

When it gets a bit cold we use ours inside a 10 by 10 shelter with the sides on to keep the wind out. Lowest setting makes it nice and warm inside and we can hang wet dirtbike gear to dry as well.
We have also put two shelters together to accommodate more people when it is raining or too cold to sit outside.
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
My solution to the "certified" firewood issue is to seek out the local big box lumber yard, buy a bunch of economy 2x4's and cut them into 16" lengths right at the campsite with my Milwaukee circular saw. Around here you can get 8 footers for $2.

Firewood regulations do zilch for stopping the spread of pests with wings.
They don't do anygood in the national parks either....as the woods all around the people are still using whatever they can......except it makes some park folks richer. And I see the park personnel with large stacks of wood they've procured to sell.
And I watch them grab up any left over wood left by the camper for the next camper...and resell it.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote