Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #1

Hose for propane adapter

My 197 Jay Feather has a propane port under the right rear, just below the BBQ mounting bracket.

The gas port looks like it is meant to have some sort of quick-release connector. I'd like to connect my standard grill to this port. Does anybody know what kind of hose/connector I need to use? I'd like to get a hose that can connect to the RV on one end and has a standard "coleman" type connector on the other end.

Thanks

Dave
TemeculaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #2

Dave,

I am not sure the low pressure LP gas from your trailer's connector is sufficient to power your regular gas grill--unless your regular grill uses 1 lb. bottles rather than 5 lb. or larger tanks. The following is from the website for RVQ Grills (which are designed specifically for use with travel trailers that have low pressure connectors:

2. Can I hook my gas grill that I purchased at Lowes, etc. (Char-Broil, Weber, Coleman, etc.) to the gas line on my RV?
No, gas grills such as Char-broil, Coleman, and Weber brands use hi-pressure valves. RV gas lines are plumbed for low-pressure.

The RVQ II uses a special converter so that you can use it with your on-board gas on your Recreational Vehicle. We also offer a hook-up that allows you to use a propane tank if you want to take your RVQ II on a trip without your RV.

3. Can I hook my RVQ II Grill up to the 1 lb propane bottles to make it more portable?
You can hook your RVQ II up to the 1lb screw-on bottles. We also have a hose kit that allows you to use the 20 and 30 lb bottles

So, Dave, it appears that the gas connector on your trailer is intended for use with special gas grills that operate on low pressure. I do not know if there are any adaptors that boost low pressure LP from the trailer to the high pressure needed by most commercial gas grills. This is a link to the low pressure hoses with quick connect couplers that are available from the RVQ website: http://www.rvqgrill.com/cart/Category.asp?cid=2

Maybe someone else knows more about high pressure vs low pressure LP gas and can provide additional information.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #3

Thanks Sam,

I didn't know anything about the difference in pressure. Makes sense now, since the trailer already has a regulator.

I already have a standalone grill but I need to carry a separate tank to use it. I have a mini tank that I use for the grill and as a backup in case the main runs out. I thought it would be nice to just "plug in" the grill to the trailer, but it's not that much of an inconvenience to use another tank.

The RVQ grill looks nice, but it's a little pricey. I'll keep using my current setup.

Thanks,

Dave
TemeculaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #4

Here is a link to a discussion of low pressure and high pressure stoves that you may find interesting. One writer suggests installing a tee on your trailer tank and running a hose with a high pressure regulator to any outdoor appliance that uses high pressure LP gas.

http://rvitch.com/forum/index.php?ac...;topic=63921.0
Old 04-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #5

Thats alot of usefull information Texas Sam.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #6

We still have yet to get our grill hooked up to the little propane port. Mainly because Don hasn't found the right connector yet (although he hasn't spent much time looking). I will pass this tread on to him
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:06 AM   #7

Smile

camping world sells a short hose with a cut off valve attached that goes in trailer adapter and grill .around $29.00 dollars that will work. all that you need is with the hose.
evans27292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #8

We were parked next to a guy that had a grill hooked up but the low pressure line won't power the grill. I told the guy to remove the regulator on the grill. We removed the part where the bottle screws into (regulator) got an adaptor to tie the two together. Well the system worked good.
I thought of changing over but my gas outlet is at the back of the trailer. The other reason we some times cook in a group with a couple grills. I guess I will keep my bottle and the old system.
Http://yogi154.blogspot.com/
yogi154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #9

On our old TT I simply hooked the BBQ to one of the 30# tanks on the front of the trailer. That way when traveling we didn't have to carry an extra 20# tank. I will be doing this again if we buy the 330RLDS.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemeculaDave View Post
Thanks Sam,

The RVQ grill looks nice, but it's a little pricey. I'll keep using my current setup.

Thanks,

Dave
There is a member on here that has an RVQ for sale on the sale page...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #11

I do the same as Clutch. I have a 6foot extension hose that I attach to one of the two 30lb tanks and to my Baby Weber. Seems to work fine.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #12
Site Team

I checked out the grill hose that came with my RVQ grill yesterday. It is 8 ft long.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #13

Dave From my experiance, if you have a regulator on your grill, you have to tap your tt gas line ahead of the regulator on the tank, if you don't have a regulator on your appliance you can get the proper fittings & line at most rv stores to come off of the outlet on the under side of your tt. My RVQ II doesn't have a regulator so I connect to the trailer, my perfect flame grill has a regulator as part of the control so I tap my tanks ahead of the trailer regulator. Larry
Old 07-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #14

The little grill I bought from Lowes had the control valve and regulator built into one. Liking the grill and not to be detered, I removed the whole regulator assembly and added a gas valve in the mix to control the flame. I have a 10' hose that I leave attached to the grill and plug into the port on the camper. I then have another 10' hose (actually 2 5's hooked together) w/ a quick connect that I can plug the original 10' into and then plug it into the camper so I can be 20' away from the port on the camper. I really like this set-up now that I have it going. Sure beats the little 1 lb tanks.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote