Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #1

184BH Cable Installation

Just in case you ever wanted to have cable in your 184 or 154 (I assume they are the same regarding this thread) and haven't taken the coaxial antenna plate off the wall to see what is behind, you are in for a nice surprise. No need to run a second wall plate for a separate cable line. Jayco and Winegard have conveniently included a multi input coaxial wall plate. As it sits from the factory, only the antenna is hooked up. There are two other inputs behind that plate where you can connect a cable line or run a second TV.

My son and i took about an hour to run a cable line from outside our 184 to the wall plate. Here is a brief guide. Hope it helps someone out there since i was getting frustrated thinking how i was going to run cable and keep it neat.

First i determined the route i was going to take (behind the fridge) because my wallplate was located on the wall above it. Removed both exterior panels and removed the heat deflectors from the top access panel. I used a "multibit" to cut a hole slightly larger than a half inch thru the siding. With a screwdriver, i pushed the exposed insulation to the sides so i could use a half inch spade to cut a hole thru the panel backing onto the fridge. I offset the hole to one side so i could run the cable to one side where there were less obstructions. We fished the cable thru the exterior holes and with a straightened coat hanger with a hook on the end, pulled the cable thru to the top access panel. I then drilled a half inch hole thru the upper 2x2 structure to get access to the void behind the interior wall panel. We pushed the straight coat hanger with the previously hooked end straightened up thru the hole towards the opening where the wall plate fits. After locating the wallplate hole, i attached the cable to the coat hanger with electrical tape and pulled it through the hole. After attaching the cable to the proper connector behind the wall plate, we tucked the remaining cable (2 or 3ft) behind the wallboard to hide it and reattached the wallplate. Back to the exterior, attached the cable to the exterior connector and attached it to the siding with self taping screws. Next we removed the slack from behind the fridge and positioned the cable as far to one side as we could and secured it to the bottom 2x2 wood structure with cable fasteners to keep it from moving. I caulked behind the exterior connector and inside the hole where the cable runs thru the wood. Put the fridge covers back on and Bobs your uncle.
smacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #2

I will try posting pics in the mods section
Old 08-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #3

Excellent write up! I want to do the same modification, only problem is that I have only stayed in one place that has ever had cable. We are usually a little further off the beaten path... Or in State Parks. I assume at some point this mod would be handy though!

Thanks again!

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #4

I hear you. my only cost was the exterior cable inlet - i think it was around $10 - can't remember, I've had it so long. Anyway, the cable I ran to the wallplate was a 6ft piece I had laying around from older TV installs in the house. It was so simple once I discovered the existence of the "Cable ready" wallplate was already there for me to hook into. I put off this install due to thinking I'd would have to attach another wallplate to the wall or drill up thru the counter - didn't like either solution. We have been to a few campgrounds with cable, it's nice to have the option in bad weather to watch a bit of TV. Especially if travelling with children.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #5

suggest you take a look at Micron's posting on this task. he by far has done the neatest and cleanest install I have seen...jayco should have done it his way...
his post is dated 09-29-2013 subject Cable TV cable Install...he has step by step photos..
Two Kayaks. Dagger for me, Old Town for Wife
Gary Fisher Mnt Bk for me, Trek for Wife
Retired U.S. Army in 1991
Life is Good!
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:12 PM   #6

Have you seen my pics that i posted in the mods section? Ive seen his install, mine is much cleaner with no exposed cable anywhere to be seen. Have a look in mods.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacdonald View Post
Have you seen my pics that i posted in the mods section? Have a look.
lol...I think you did a great job. better than factory imo... unsure why he wants you to look at someone else's mod after you already have yours done
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #8

yeah, yours is neat and clean...but I have never ever seen CG cable hookup or shore power on the entry door side of an rv before...so where are you going to run your cable to the post to the camper? anyways, looks good and I suspect functional... actually I was addressing Xkuzme1...
Two Kayaks. Dagger for me, Old Town for Wife
Gary Fisher Mnt Bk for me, Trek for Wife
Retired U.S. Army in 1991
Life is Good!
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #9

Sorry guys, just proud of the install. Since the unit is relatively small, i picked up a 50' cable, it takes no effort to run the line under the trailer when parked and hook up to the site cable. I guess to me, its either fish the line through the interior and try to hide it or simply run my extension under the unit at the park - 6 of one, half dozen of another. Lol What i don't understand is they make the effort to get the unit "cable ready" and then cheap out on doing every owner the favour of running the line while under construction and easily hidden. C'mon Jayco, run the cable and just add an extra thirty bucks to the trailers MSRP.

This is not the first unit i've seen with a cable hookup on the entry side. It helped make my decision to locate the connection where i did.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #10

Any pictures. Would love to see some.

2011 Ranger Sport
brianca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacdonald View Post
Sorry guys, just proud of the install. Since the unit is relatively small, i picked up a 50' cable, it takes no effort to run the line under the trailer when parked and hook up to the site cable. I guess to me, its either fish the line through the interior and try to hide it or simply run my extension under the unit at the park - 6 of one, half dozen of another. Lol What i don't understand is they make the effort to get the unit "cable ready" and then cheap out on doing every owner the favour of running the line while under construction and easily hidden. C'mon Jayco, run the cable and just add an extra thirty bucks to the trailers MSRP.
agreed....Manufactures need to step up... Led lights are a perfect example...why my new 2014 jayfeather doesn't have Led's is quite bad actually. As a manufacturer they can by bulk loads of quality led's and not increase the cost by much.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #12

I like what you did. I thought about the antenna option but never looked behind the wall plate. I wish now that I had because that would have been the better option as an end point. I'm thinking that a combination of both of our mods might be the best route for others to follow. Anyhow be proud of the job you did and enjoy the fruits of your labor. That's what its all about!
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianca2 View Post
Any pictures. Would love to see some.
See mods section, same thread name
Old 08-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #14

Just glad its done. Cheers to you too Micron - job well done!