Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2014, 11:48 PM   #1

V6 Tuner

Is it worth getting a tuner or cold air on a V6 gas engine? This is a daily driver and I have to have the 28-30mpg every day. I'm only getting 12mpg towing both a 2000lbs work trailer and my 3000lbs fully loaded TT. I understand that fairly is normal although an increase would be nice. My Escape doesn't have a "tow mode". I'm wondering if this would be worth doing to change the shift points. I have good power until 6th gear, where I have NO power and the automatic is consistently shifting at 60mph. Does anybody have any experience doing this on such a small gas engine. It's just not in my budget to get a bigger truck right now. Not worried about any warranty issues. As another thread posted, "I am the warranty." Thanks for any advice.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:37 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

You would have to consider how often you are towing and whether it is worth it. Unlikely you will get an increase to make it worth it.
If "6th" is overdrive it is going to be constantly shifting that is why you should never tow in overdrive
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:13 AM   #3

I can't turn the overdrive off. I have first gear or everything. Nothing in between. I've read some tuners have a tow mode which basically changes the shift point while towing and keep it in fifth gear. I'm already pushing the Escape to its limits. Looking for anything that will get me a little bit of help. Mainly trying to keep it out of sixth gear and is it good for the engine to do this for hours on end.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:32 AM   #4

You have too little truck for your trailer... that said the tuner should help but the cost of them will buy a LOT of fuel. Before you buy one make sure you talk to the manufacture to find out what it will and wont do for you.. When you talk to them make sure you have a list of problems you are having so you dont forget anything.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #5

The gains of a tune are somewhat minimal unless you're trying to improve your track times. A tune won't improve your towing mileage. It might improve your daily driver mileage some though. A CA intake won't help any by itself either, you'll need the tune customized for a CA to make good use of it. It seems that having the ability to lock out OD would make the tune worth it. That shifting at 60 is generating heat and that WILL be the death of your transmission. So either save up for a new transmission or get the tune.

Can you even get a tune for an Escape?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

I have never seen a vehicle that couldn't be put in a gear other than overdrive. What year is the escape? I am sure if you check your owners manual it will show how to operate the shifter to avoid O/D

edit: it appears the 6 speed tranny in a 2010( if that is what it is) has a button right on the side of the shifter to lock out Overdrive. You really need to thoroughly read your owners manual before you drive it
Old 08-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #7

Some CAI's require a tune to accommodate the extra air. That may in turn affect your warranty and/or emission inspections. I would expect minimal return if any.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #8

Thanks for the feedback. Yes you can get a tuner for Escapes. I did not know that button turned off the overdrive! I only thought it helped with downhill driving(engine braking). And I've only used it once. Completely flat where I live. I also learned by reading the manual that my engine and transmission learn. That would explain why towing seems to be better after about 30 miles or so. Thought I just got used to it. I have bought a dongle for the OBDII and an app for my phone to read it. Going to look at it and see what it tells me. Also going to use my new found button and turn off the overdrive. Almost want to tow it down the highway today just to see what happens. If the app and doohickie live up to their hype it will give me a wealth of real time information especially transmission temp.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Premium fuel will help in power as well. Computers do learn and the more you tow it does get better as the PCM learns how best to manage the situation. Unfortunately with the higher price of premium it makes fuel costs even higher but I don't worry about it.
Plus you should definitely install an aux. cooler. Radiator integrated ones are inadequate.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #10

I have a 2014 Escape, automatic transmission, as a company car. We are forbidden from towing with company cars, therefore it is not equiped with a tow package. However on the shift selector on mine has a "S" option. If my memory is correct FORD calls this "sports mode" and it provides two functions ...

1. Selecting "S" and driving as normal will increase the shift points to a much higher RPM level. This would likely lockout OD when towing since you would probably not achieve that high of an RPM going in 5th thus chaning to 6th.
2. If you select "S" then use the +/- to manual change gears it will give the driver control over what gear you are in. If beleive its not 100% control, the computer will not let you select to low/high of a gear for you speed.

Its important to note -- if you select "S" and use the +/- it will not return to full Automatic until you return the car to "D". If you select "S" and don't use the +/- it will remain in automtic but will have much higher shift points.

If you Escape has the "Sports Mode" I am sure the manuel will provide plenty of information on its use.

I just wanted to point this out as another possible solution to towing with you Escape and not getting a tuner. Although Tuners can provide additional performance many manufactures will begin declining potential warranty coverage for issues they claim were brought about by tuning since they beleive they have equiped your vehicle with an optimal tune.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #11

Nope, no sport mode on the 09 model.