Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Just wondering.....I'm a wonderer!

Owners and Accessories Manuals do you read them? Or do you use them to light the campfire?

The rest is optional reading

When I acquire a vehicle, equipment or tools, I read the manual over and over again till it is stored in the chip under my hair (still have lots of it).
I am organized and put my RV manuals in a binder with sheet protectors.
Model#, SN# and other information from all accessories I have an instant access to in case something fails and or need to order parts.
I'm fortuned to be technical inclined (engineering has been my trade) and do all maintenance, repairs or remodelling myself (darn..the neighbours know that too).
I am one of those boys with lots of toys (tools) that what the DW says.
It always did fascinate me how things work and how they are put together, and always search deeper in to a particular subject. And I always say for everything is a solution and everything can be fixed. Sometimes cost wise it might not make sense to repair.
We might complain how RV’s are put together because we are paying a lot of $$$ for them.
Distribution and transport cost a lot of money. But figure it this way; if a custom RV shop would built your RV it would be double of that your paying now. Jayco has looked after their customers pretty good and their product is far better than I have seen of other manufactures. There are always people who are never happy and will present it in an angry way to a service representative, which is the wrong way to go about it. If you have concerns about products you buy, do it in a kind way. In a gentle but firm negotiating, problems usual solve quicker and many times you will gain more.
I rather have a generous discount than warranty, because I enjoy doing all the repairs myself. It also gives me the advantage that I know the condition of my vehicles and be safe on the road for long trips. But remember anything can break down no matter if it is mechanical or electronic. Add extreme heat or cold to that factor which will make things more vulnerable. And yes I recommend to read the manuals...........it might come in handy in the nowhere.
Good luck to you all in your travels!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #2

I thumb through them to catch the new stuff, but do keep them in the portfolio they came in. After 41 years many things are redundant.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #3

I read mine,my wife also reads them, when i worked for ford owners would bring in a truck and say hey ( this does not work right) My first question have you looked at the owners manuel , most have not, They are there for a reason ...
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #4

Never...but I keep them safe as the next buyer will ask for them...then never read them...
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #5

When I bought my trailer I set it up in the driveway, ran the awning out, got a comfy chair and a cold beer and read them all.

Most are of little value. Little useful information.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulx213 View Post
When I bought my trailer I set it up in the driveway, ran the awning out, got a comfy chair and a cold beer and read them all.

Almost the same thing I did but I walked in, under, around & over the trailer with manual in one hand a screwdriver in my back pocket because in my other hand was a cold IPA. I carry all the manuals with me and I have the best tech support I could ever ask for and that's my " jaycoowners fourm" , your with me 24/7 and that gives me peace of mind whenever I travel.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
Site Team

I keep them all in a folder that travels with us. I have scanned them and read in detail most of them as needed. The Dexter manual is particularly helpful with specs and details on brakes, hubs etc.

Most of the owners manual is generic and need more rig specific detail but don't hold your breath waiting on it, That has been a complaint since the first one was written.

There are many knowledgeable folks on forums, mostly owners that have seen a lot of problems and know how to zero in on the problem quickly. Only problem is filtering all the other info you get.

That's what makes it fun.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #8

Called each manufacturer to my surprise many already had me registered by dealer. Btw I would be tempted to pay double if what I bought was absolutely perfect. But you know the Greyhawk feels pretty good. OK it's new but still for the time being I believe I have received real value for my dollars. Plus...the experiences the rig affords us would be hard to measure in dollars
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:41 AM   #9

I can't say that I have read the entire owner's manual but I have looked it over a couple of times and read up on sections that related to things I was doing. I do keep it in a folder with all of the other documents for the trailer and bring it with me when camping.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:15 AM   #10

The owners manual per say is written to cover several years i think - pretty much vague information. What I do like however is the appliances sheets on everything installed on your particular trailer. I definitely keep those handy and add to them when I find other pertinent info about them.

I think I got all of mine technical info stored in one of those large snap plastic boxes.. Comes in handy when looking for replacement parts...

Was just looking at my POPUP P55000 Power Winch sheets discussing some points on another thread this morning.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #11

The owner / user manuals are OK, put not perfect, seems to be what everyone is saying. I agree with that. Information from the manufacturer, sometimes a distributor, seems to be much better when you have a specific need.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #12

My original packet was 3in thick. I removed all the foreign language stuff and my packet was half the size. I had 3 manuals on my Norcold fridge; English, French and Spanish, among others. I've actually read most of the stuff and got some helpful info, especially about the water heater [also available in French/Spanish]
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I also removed the other languages I don't need, everything fits in a 1 1/2 " binder and easy to take along. On the front page I have all the Model# and SN# with all other specifications, so I don't have to look for it. Jayco put most of the manual with the unit and what's not there download from the manufacturer. I have been pretty trouble free since our first TT in the 70's but then I keep the TT well maintained. Everything in a home is stationary, but in a RV on the road everything bounces.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #14

My first pop-up I read part of the manual
My first travel trailer, I looked at part of the manual
My current travel trailer, I haven't even opened the bag that they came in from the factory.

Most the info is so generic it doesn't really matter

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #15

Read the entire generic Greyhawk manual in pieces. Read some of the sections multiple times. Have also read many of the hardware specific manuals, e.g. fridge, cooktop, inverter, etc. Found many of them online and downloaded them, too. Much easier to carry my iPad on a trip rather than the stack of manuals.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #16

Flyrotor. The info in those manuals are generic indeed, however they are invaluable at trade in time. (I know some dealers anyway) do indeed REDUCE the amount they give you, if the manuals are not included in the deal. Consider the next owner of your unit might want them, it might be their first RV. So please keep them, even if you never open them.

Campingcat I do understand your "If everything I buy was perfect" line. However, nothing is. I do hear that line every week also. Nothing produced/manufactured can be perfect But I know that was just a "in a perfect world thought" from you. I agree, it would be nice if everything was perfect though, think of the money we could save on repairs. --- OH snap --- wait a minute --- I wouldnt have a job if there was never a need for RV repairs. Well Ok, then I could retire. YUP, it would be nice hee hee hee
TIM
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #17

Talking A +++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulx213 View Post

You my friend get an A + !
They are there for a reason .. OK so when i looked at mine i might have said One or two times ( wow i didnot know That ) Still looked over them ..
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote