Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #1

Hot Water Tank Leaking!!!

Hello Fellow Jayco Owners! Finally got our 2012 308 RETS set up on our permanent site and spent the last two weekends. Here's my issue.

The Hot Water Tank Relief Valve starts to leak (drips out of the valve) after it's been turned on (Electric) for a few hours. As a rule, we turn the hot water off after we're done using it.

Water starts coming out of the cover and down the side of the trailer. Not to mention it drips over some wires and the Propane Line for the hot water tank. I think the Relief Valve is bad or the Tank is getting too hot. If we use it and turn it off no problems, just when we leave it on for a period of time.

Any thoughts fellow Jayco Owners? As always, thanks so much for your help and advice..

John & Janine

2012 Jayco Super Lite 308 RETS
2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
308rets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #2

Reintroduce an adequate air expansion pocket:
1. Turn water heater off.
2. Turn off water supply (city H2O or H2O pump)
3. Open closest hot H2O faucet in RV.
4. Open the P&T valve by pulling on handle at end of valve and allow H2O to flow until it stops.
5. Release handle on P&T valve – it should snap shut. ( do this a couple of times as it may stick)
6. Close hot water faucet.
7. Turn on H2O supply – Now that everything is closed the tank will refill and air expansion pocket will be re-established.
Repeat the above procedure if P&T valve continues to weep between heating cycles. If this is not successful then the P&T valve should be replaced.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #3

Russel,

Great suggestion... Makes sense.. I'll give that a shot this weekend..

Thanks..
John & Janine

2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
Old 05-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #4

When our house burnt we lived in my cousins' fiver for a few weeks until the insurance company had a house trailer brought in and set on the driveway for us. Anyway, he had never had any problems with the Pressure Relieve valve leaking, but when we started using the camper the valve was leaking. After talking with him we agreed that it should be replaced. I put a new valve in it. The new valve leaked as well. We put a pressure regulator on the water hose and solved the problem. When we moved into the new house (same water supply) we had a problem with all of the toilets in the house. They would shut off and then come back on 2 or 3 times. Had the plumber that did the install out. Turns out the water pressure regulator at the meter had gone bad. We were getting something like 150 PSI to the house. The water company came out and replaced their regulator and solved the issue. Turns out that is what was making the pressure valve on the camper leak and that is why when we put the regulator on the hose it stopped leaking.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwstewar View Post
When our house burnt we lived in my cousins' fiver for a few weeks until the insurance company had a house trailer brought in and set on the driveway for us. Anyway, he had never had any problems with the Pressure Relieve valve leaking, but when we started using the camper the valve was leaking. After talking with him we agreed that it should be replaced. I put a new valve in it. The new valve leaked as well. We put a pressure regulator on the water hose and solved the problem. When we moved into the new house (same water supply) we had a problem with all of the toilets in the house. They would shut off and then come back on 2 or 3 times. Had the plumber that did the install out. Turns out the water pressure regulator at the meter had gone bad. We were getting something like 150 PSI to the house. The water company came out and replaced their regulator and solved the issue. Turns out that is what was making the pressure valve on the camper leak and that is why when we put the regulator on the hose it stopped leaking.
That's why you should always use a pressure regulator on your tt.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #6

Great point about the Pressure Regulator! There is one at the water supply which makes me wonder if it's bad. I can back the pressure down to see if it makes a difference.

As always, thanks for the great suggestions..

2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
Old 05-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilley View Post
That's why you should always use a pressure regulator on your tt.
Yeah, but I was on my own property where the water pressure was never an issue until the regulator on our water main went bad. In this case our house was hooked to the same water supply as our house. Do you run a seperate pressure regulator on your house vs. what the water company puts on at the meter?
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308rets View Post
Great point about the Pressure Regulator! There is one at the water supply which makes me wonder if it's bad.
Most campgrounds have an anti-siphon device not pressure regulators. It's usually best to have your own pressure regulator to be sure.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #9

The Campground where our permanent site is has what I believe to be a Pressure regulator on the supply line for our TT. Although it's much smaller than the one we bought at Camping World.

Now that makes me wonder if it is an anti-siphon device. I'll have to ask them this weekend what the valve actually is on their water supply line for our TT.

I can attached what I've bought to theirs as a precautionary or just not turn the water up all the way!

Thanks again everyone..
John

2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
Old 05-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #10

Quote:
The Campground where our permanent site is has what I believe to be a Pressure regulator on the supply line for our TT. Although it's much smaller than the one we bought at Camping World.

Now that makes me wonder if it is an anti-siphon device. I'll have to ask them this weekend what the valve actually is on their water supply line for our TT.

I can attached what I've bought to theirs as a precautionary or just not turn the water up all the way!

Thanks again everyone..
John
I would attach what you bought. Pressure is the same whether water is turned all the way up or halfway, only the GPM will be different. (gallons per minute)
Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #11
Site Team

My wife still thinks she can regulate pressure with the on/off valve. Good for a laugh at least each trip!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #12

Hey 308rets! Greetings from Mars, PA. Where's your seasonal site?

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by villain2000 View Post
Hey 308rets! Greetings from Mars, PA. Where's your seasonal site?
Hey There Villain... Sorry for the late response. Hell, I even have plumbing problems at home.. LOL.

We have our permanent site at Shenango Valley RV Park in Transfer, PA. Just north of Mercer off Rte 58!

Where do you guys camp?

2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
Old 05-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Hey There Villain... Sorry for the late response. Hell, I even have plumbing problems at home.. LOL.

We have our permanent site at Shenango Valley RV Park in Transfer, PA. Just north of Mercer off Rte 58!

Where do you guys camp?
The only thing worse than plumbing problems in the tt is plumbing problems at home. Sounds like its time to make a sacrifice to the plumbing gods. Next time you have a camp fire, throw a few pieces of PEX in there and you'll be fine!. So, we have been to the Erie KOA, the Meadville KOA, the Grove City KOA, Wolfs Camping Resort in Knox, and Jellysone in Mill Run PA. Shenango is on our short list, though. We havent been there yet, but it looks so nice online! We will be there before the seasons over for sure. Is it as nice as it looks online? Rose Point also looks good, but we havent been there yet, either.

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
Old 05-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by villain2000 View Post
The only thing worse than plumbing problems in the tt is plumbing problems at home. Sounds like its time to make a sacrifice to the plumbing gods. Next time you have a camp fire, throw a few pieces of PEX in there and you'll be fine!. So, we have been to the Erie KOA, the Meadville KOA, the Grove City KOA, Wolfs Camping Resort in Knox, and Jellysone in Mill Run PA. Shenango is on our short list, though. We havent been there yet, but it looks so nice online! We will be there before the seasons over for sure. Is it as nice as it looks online? Rose Point also looks good, but we havent been there yet, either.
Villian, Yep, time for a Plumbing Sacrifise...

We are new at Shenango Valley and I got to say, they run a very nice clean operation. Heck, they pick my trash up every morning and I can have a pizza delivered to my campsite...

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go there. If you do, look us up at site number 310. Enjoy your summer...

2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
Old 05-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #16

I may have to stop by and see this showroom condition Power stroke.Theres only a handful of those trucks with that body style with the diesel left. Those things were beat to death with a million miles on them.Pretty cool that you keep it that nice.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:33 AM   #17

When my dealer gave us our walkaround, they mentioned to us this exact problem with water coming out of relief valves. They said the best way to combat the problem is like everyone explained - to have an air pocket. They suggested the easiest way to get a decent air pocket is when you connect your water line (with your own psi regulator), do not fill the hose with water before you connect it. Allow the volume of air inside the hose to be displaced into your tanks. This should leave enough air volume to compensate for thermal expansion.
imaynard is offline   Reply With Quote