Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #1

Snookered by dealership

I have been getting our 2010 Jay Feather 23k(bought brand new,owned for 1 month) ready for it's maiden voyage, accessorizing, loading, scrubbed roof for first time, moved on to washing sides of TT getting ready to wax when low and behold.....I noticed the warning stickers on the nose were starting to peel due to dirt underneath at the top. Decided might as well remove all together and when I pulled off the sticker I found CRACKS in the fiberglass. NOT a happy camper!(actually haven't even camped yet argghh) I had noticed when we purchased that the propane and battery warning stickers were in a different place than the dealers sales photos. Didn't think anything about it, thought maybe old ones came off or legal language had changed since 2010 and required new ones to be added. Not the case. You can see the outline of the placement of the original stickers from the oxidation of the fiberglass and how white it is where the stickers were. The careful placement of the sticker writing concealled the cracks perfectly. I have contacted Jayco and they requested photos, which I did, but they sound skeptical wondering why a dealer would do this. I say so they could make a sale and make it my problem. Don't know what's gonna happen, but am really concerned. Our first outing is being cancelled and hopefully not most of our summer. Did not contact dealership till hearing back from Jayco but rest assured they will hear from me! They are 7hrs away in MI and I am in IN so no popping in to meet face to face. I know Jayco has a good customer service so hopefully this matter will be resolved. I am just amazed that a dealership would do this. Here are some of the photos I sent Jayco.
Click image for larger version

Name:	crack1c.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	2657

Name:	crack13.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	2658

Name:	Dealer sales photo2.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	2659

Name:	crack5.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	2660

Name:	crack4.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	2661
1st photo is current sticker placement at time of purchase 2nd photo-cracks under sticker 3rd-Dealers sales photo(original sticker placement)4th -oxidation outline There is at least 1 more crack under the smaller battery warning sticker but did not want to remove until Jayco says so and camera can't focus in that tight to get a clear shot(cheap end Kodak)
Reese Strait Line Trunnion Dual Cam WD
Tekonsha P3
cheetahflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #2

Amazing, keep us posted.

Oh and I would already be looking for a new place to have any claims repaired.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #3

Very strange indeed.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
Site Team

Those look like "spider web cracks" in the finish gel coat, hopefully they are just on the surface. If the dealer played the shell game with those stickers and did the ol switcharoo, all I can say is WOW.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #5

If Jayco decides to act does anyone know how Jayco does it's warranty work? Do they fix/repair something like this or do they replace the whole front wall? Would this even be warranty work since it should have been right at time of purchase and not hidden by moved labels?I read about McMonk on JOF having a 23k with water damage from a bad front roof seal right after purchase(which is why I checked mine really well before purchasing) and they replaced his whole front wall. His took a long time to resolve as well. I wouldn't want a repair/patch since I purchased a TT in "new" condition not an "as is", "refurbished" or "fixer up" condition. I want it the way it should have been if it came off the assembly line. If after 2 yrs the patched cracks don't hold then I'd be out of luck. It's not like this had happened 1 1/2yrs after I owned it then I would be grateful for whatever repairs were made. It hasn't left the driveway since I brought it home. Haven't dewinterized, run the a.c., fridge,water heater, haven't plugged it in and run electricity through it. Not even extended the awning at home yet. It's gonna be a long weekend waiting to hear back from Jayco on Mon at the earliest. Trying not to let it consume me but it weighs on the mind.
Tekonsha P3
Old 03-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #6

Not sure exactly what you mean by "spider web cracks" Crabman but they are cracked open enough to stick your fingernail in and raised not just smooth to the touch like the enamel cracking on porcelain/ceramic tubs or cups. If it wasn't the dealership itself it was an employee for whatever reason. And like I mentioned there is 1 more crack below that's covered by the battery sticker. Quite coincidental that the stickers moved from one place as pictured to conveniently and perfectly cover both areas that are cracking and evident fade marks of where they once were. The cracks were right under the black WARNING header bar of the decal so the deepest one couldn't be seen. It is quite the shell game and I got taken.
Tekonsha P3
Old 03-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #7

If the dealer pulls that kind of garbage I sure as heck wouldn't even think of letting them handle the repairs. Hopefully Jayco can help you sort thru this. Keep us posted.
wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:22 PM   #8

Sorry for the "panicked" alarmed posts folks. Things went from really good to not so good really fast. Going from getting ready to go camping to not camping, wondering how long until we might finally get to and fighting for repairs. It's just that my wife has always wanted a TT but things have always taken it's place money wise but the kids aren't getting any younger and time is flying. It's a considerable purchase for us. We've never bought new, house is a 1971, vehicles are all used etc. We saved long and hard and searched long and hard for the right TT. It's quite a shock to discover something like this especially having gone over it with a fine tooth comb before purchasing. Inspected it carefully, sides, inside, climbed on roof, even crawled underneath. I'm sure it will be fine and can be fixed one way or another just hard to deal with and quite a bummer finding out you bought a "new" damaged TT. Could have just bought used and cheaper. Some may understand, some may not.
Tekonsha P3
Old 03-17-2012, 06:04 AM   #9

Cant believe the dealer (or an employee there) tryed to hide that and get away with that. Im not sure how it will turn out for you in the end but if Jayco or the dealer agrees to have it repaired fight for a complete panel replacement.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #10

Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me but in photo #3, it almost looks like there's an area around the stickers where the whole surface looks wrong. It's like it's deformed or pulled away. Do you see it?

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #11

Cheeta....I completely understand how you are feeling, going from a high to low feeling. It never feels good to realize someone tried to "pull one over you". It's really disrectspectull not to mention criminal. I know it's hard but try not to let it ruin the whole idea of camping with your family. Glad you are sorting it out right off the bat. We all here in this forum are hoping for a quick satisfying resolution for you.
Phar0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #12
Site Team

Hey Cheeta, Don't let it ruin your camping fun. I found a couple of spider cracks on my front cap shortly after delivery. Don't know how it got out of the factory like that but my dealer took pictures, sent to Jayco. They authorized me to take to a local fiberglass shop where they repaired it and matched the gel coat. Got it back in a few days and never looked back.

Now be assured that it can and likely will be repaired under warranty. If someone at the dealership tried to conceal it, I would be ticked and disappointed in them.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #13

Wow, another 23K issue - myself and Bluebrick had the same issue on this model - in my case I took it to an independent dealer, who fought on my behalf to get the roof replaced. Bluebrick's water problems were worse than mine, he ended up with the whole front wall being replaced/rebuilt. Do check you your transition piece on the roof and make sure that the aluminum strip hasn't lifted. It appears they were never installed properly at the factory. If you happen to get a new front wall, try and convince them to do a better job up on the roof. Now...don't get me wrong, I'm still happy with the trailer and in the end Jayco did right by us.

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #14

From what you posted, I agree that this is an intentional cover-up. If you did not have the dealer's picture showing the original location, I may have thought otherwise. In fairness to the dealer, it could have been an employee who goofed and did not want trouble with his/her boss. Good luck getting dealer to help...
Shin Pond Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetahflip View Post
Not sure exactly what you mean by "spider web cracks" Crabman but they are cracked open enough to stick your fingernail in and raised not just smooth to the touch like the enamel cracking on porcelain/ceramic tubs or cups. If it wasn't the dealership itself it was an employee for whatever reason. And like I mentioned there is 1 more crack below that's covered by the battery sticker. Quite coincidental that the stickers moved from one place as pictured to conveniently and perfectly cover both areas that are cracking and evident fade marks of where they once were. The cracks were right under the black WARNING header bar of the decal so the deepest one couldn't be seen. It is quite the shell game and I got taken.
Spider cracks are cracks in the gel coat which can be relatively easily repaired by someone who knows fiberglass repair as norty said. I`ve seen good fiberglass guys do wonders with boats that had severe gel coat issues. Look just like new when they are done. A larger concern and more difficult repair would be delamination, where water enters the inside of the wall and separates the glue, wood, and glass creating raised spots and bubbles in the wall. Your trailer is new and under warranty so I suspect it will be made right for you. Considering the distance between you and the dealer and these deceitful sticker placements, perhaps they (Jayco) can recommend a repair shop closer by so you can get this resolved quickly. And you should be able to use the trailer right up until it goes in for the repair so maybe you will not miss much if any camping time.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #16

I would put the stickers back over the cracks until its repaired to protect from water in case it rains or something. I think it was wise not to communicate with the dealership, would have given them time to come up with a good story when Jayco contacted them. Good luck
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMFAM View Post
I would put the stickers back over the cracks until its repaired to protect from water in case it rains or something. I think it was wise not to communicate with the dealership, would have given them time to come up with a good story when Jayco contacted them. Good luck
agreed but i would use a thin layer of clear silicone.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #18

I agree that the cracks are not structural but in the gel coat layer of the unit. You should not have any water intrusion but covering them sould not hurt. That does not however, relieve the person or dealer that tried to cover them up based on your pictures. Either way cover up or not Jayco should attend to the issue under warranty.
Find a new dealer while your at it too.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #19

Don't know where you are in Indiana, But JAYCO is in Middlebury they may have a recommendation closer to you than the original dealer you bought from.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by exjay1 View Post
agreed but i would use a thin layer of clear silicone.
I would not recommend putting silicone over the damage. That stuff will be a bear to remove before doing repairs and it has to be completely removed because nothing will stick to it, inclucing more silicone. I would use duct tape before I would use silicone.

I'm wondering if the damage was caused by installing the stickers instead of the stickers being placed to cover the damage. Years ago, when I was working for an electric utility, we were having trouble putting stickers on the incoming transformers because it was too cold for the adhesive to flow properly. We had to actually pound on them with our fists to get the stupid things to stick. The shells of those cans were a lot sturdier than the Filon on an RV.