Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2014, 09:46 PM   #1

Lift arms question

So I have a question about the lift arms on my 97 Jayco eagle 10, keep in mind I'm very new to owning a camper and a tent camper at that I'm very proud of it but I don't know much about these, here is my question. My pop up currently has the manual lift system with the spring loaded type arms on it which are mounted to the exterior of the walls. The only reason they are there is because the P.O. Didn't know how to fix the lift cable, should I stick with these new manual lift arms or should I try and fix the cable and remove them and are they sturdier than the crank arms or vise versa? The original arms are still on it. I don't mind the manual lift its not hard at all to setup and is quick just unsure of the strength of them I appreciate any advice or help I can get here is a link to my build thread that I just started for some current pictures,

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23305
Tim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:37 AM   #2

I would say it is a personal thing. If the lift arm work for you keep them. For me, with my back, the crank would be better. With the crank you can easily raise and lower the roof by yourself. Stop at any point to tuck the fabric in or anything else.

Parents had an old starcraft up when I was a kid. Dad changed out broken cables a few times. I recall him saying it was no big deal to do.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I would say it is a personal thing. If the lift arm work for you keep them. For me, with my back, the crank would be better. With the crank you can easily raise and lower the roof by yourself. Stop at any point to tuck the fabric in or anything else.

Parents had an old starcraft up when I was a kid. Dad changed out broken cables a few times. I recall him saying it was no big deal to do.
Ok thank you for the reply everything for the original lift system is still all there he just couldn't figure it out I wouldn't mind having the crank it would certainly be easier when lowering it all down
Old 11-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #4

You may not even have a broken cable, but just a bent hook that the cable goes onto. I've replaced a couple hooks myself, and now I know not to lift the lid by hand while lowering. Try to find a schematic for your lift system and open it up, have a look.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chapter View Post
You may not even have a broken cable, but just a bent hook that the cable goes onto. I've replaced a couple hooks myself, and now I know not to lift the lid by hand while lowering. Try to find a schematic for your lift system and open it up, have a look.
we are in the process of restoring the camper and we took the front box off inside and I found the winch and springs that work it there is actually a cable broke on the winch that I found