Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #1

Inverter generator question

I want to purchase a generator for my rv. I looked at Home Depot. The sell generators as well as inverters. What is the difference?

Thanks
speckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #2

One is a generator and the other is an inverter.

Google SAYS - A generator creates electrical power, while an inverter changes one type of electrical current to another. There are two different types of electrical current, alternating (AC) and direct (DC). Inverters are used when devices that use AC power need to be used in a car or other place where only DC power is available. The two machines have distinctly different functions, although there are inverter generators which do both for greater energy efficiency.

The term INVERTER GENERATOR is just the way the generators are able to produce a well regulated very efficient AC output.

I would want to purchase a 2KW Honda Generator to run my whole trailer by connecting the trailer shore power cable directly into the generator 120VAC receptacle. I only use my generator to re-charge my battery bank when camping off the power grid using the trailer on-board smart mode converter/charger unit.

If I wanted to run a few of the 120VAC appliances in the trailer I would use a 300WATT to 600WATT PURE SINE WAVE Inverter which gets its 12VDC power from the trailer battery system. This would be for the HDTV, DVDs, small 120VAC appliances you might want to run when camping off the power grid. This has to be planned out as INVERTERS are power hungary and will run down your batteries in a short time so you need to know what you want to run off the power grid and have enough battery capacity to do this between re-charge times using your 2KW generator each morning at 8AM when allowed to run your generator at most camp grounds.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote