Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #21

I'd recommend them. We always try to park under trees and don't have a built in ladder.
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #22

I don't have, and never have had a topper. Was in a friends rv one time while it was a bit stormy out, and you had to sit and listen to it flapping in the wind. There was no option to roll it up like you can with your awning, just let it flap around. I decided then that I would never put one on my RV. I have no issue with climbing up to see if there is any debris on my slide before retracting it. Also an opportunity to give the entire roof a quick look for any sort of problem.
My vote is no, don't spend the money on one.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:27 AM   #23

Needed? No. This is our second TT with toppers on the slides.
There is an upside and downside to toppers.
Upside:
The slide room roof stays cleaner.
You don't have to clean the roof before packing up to move.
If you camp in winter you don't melt snow inside your camper. (ask me how I know this)
You don't pull (as much) water inside the camper.
It's cooler in summer.
Downside:
You have to purchase them.
They make noise in high wind conditions.

We enjoy ours.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #24

I find the topper very useful. I have the same trailer as you, and camp in the woods a lot. It keeps pine needles, leaves, and branches off the slide out top. all of those things can be a mess when it rains and a pain to clean. If you camp in wide open spaces it is probably not needed. I wouldn't have another trailer without it. Its one less thing to worry about.
jfry30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #25

I'm not for or against the slide toppers, but I guess it depends on your model, how many slides you have, and how willing you are to climb up to clean them. As for me, I have a X23B with a small slide, so I set a simple 4-step ladder around the middle of the slide, and clean it from front to back with a towel or a broom in about a minute or less, whether wet or dry. Now if I had a large FW with one of those bedroom slides in the upper room, I'd probably appreciate the slide toppers.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #26

First off, I have never, in three trailers with toppers, ever once heard them flapping in the wind. Anyone who does should have the tension checked. If they are properly installed they make NO noise. Secondly, I personally have never had a puddle on my slide and under the topper. In fact I have never seen the top of the slide even get the slightest bit of water on it.

Lastly, it is purely a confidence thing. You don't need a jack on your trailer or a ladder. But rather than bring an automotive jack along to raise your trailer, they added the convenience of a built in jack, and better yet an electric jack. Ladders, jacks, drills, tarps, etc. It's more stuff that I have to bring, maintain, and use to setup and tear down. The quickest, most efficient way for me to pack and unpack is what I want. A self contained, low maintence trailer. Roll it out and have a beer. Roll it in and hitch and go. So I have them and I am happy. But a personal convenience choice.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:45 PM   #27

Today I called Jayco service to see about the design of the inner structure of the J-Flight 26 RLS in regards to having a slide topper installed. The tech told me since the topper is not a Jayco option, it will not have been framed for a slide topper to be added.

I am bummed.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #28

Framed for a topper, never heard such a thing. I just assumed in wood frame/alum sided trailer there would be some type of header above the entire slide out to support the roof and the the topper would simply attach through the alum siding to that header.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Framed for a topper, never heard such a thing. I just assumed in wood frame/alum sided trailer there would be some type of header above the entire slide out to support the roof and the the topper would simply attach through the alum siding to that header.
That is what I thought. Somebody suggested that I reach out to Jayco for specifics about the inner skeleton. That is the answer I received from Jayco. I am going to see if I can get a schematic of the trailer framing.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPCamper View Post
First off, I have never, in three trailers with toppers, ever once heard them flapping in the wind. Anyone who does should have the tension checked. If they are properly installed they make NO noise.
We've had slide toppers on our last 2 trailers as well. There have been many threads about slide toppers making noise in the wind and I always wondered about that because we've NEVER heard our toppers make any noise whatsoever, in any conditions. Wouldn't be without them.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #31

FWIW, I sent Jayco tech support an email asking for a schematic because I was planning on having my dealer install a slide topper. (Mainly to see if I'd get a different answer from a different tech.) Again I was told due to design, a slide topper is not an option for the 26 RLS.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:48 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
The store bought kind are super expensive. I made a low-dough slide topper from a heavy duty silver tarp, some velcro and a sewing machine...
Freakin' Classic! I love it!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote