Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #1

Ultra Light Wtg frame & Wtg Distribution Hitches

Please give me your thoughts on this.

Last fall I inquired about a weight distribution hitch for our 2010 Jay Feather Sport 165. The JFSport165 is a 16 foot RV and weights about 3000 lbs. Hitch weight is around 600 lbs. My concern was my hitch is rated at max 500 lbs.

I was advised by, a reputable hitch firm, not to install WDH as it may bend RV frame. And that 2010 F150 truck hitch should be ok, just check hitch bolts for slipping. I have followed this advise and everything has been ok. I have taken some extensive trips of 1000+ miles with no trouble.

I have not discussed this with dealer and would prefer to not have the WDH.
The key question I have is -

Is the 2010 JF Sport165 frame too light to handle a WDH ?
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #2

Look into getting a heavier reciever, your f150 hitch should be enough. I tow a 7500lb GVW trailer with mine with no issues. i have WD hitch. If you don't want a WD hitch just get the heavier reciever. I can't see how a proper WD hitch would bend the frame. You can get lighter hitch bars.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #3

You might contact some hitch companies like EazLift and see what they got for WD bars and setups I'm sure they got a proper setup for smaller and lighter trailers...
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #4

I would use an appropriate WD hitch. Less sway and a lot better controll.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #5

I know many pop-ups say not to run WD setups because their frames are very light. You probably should contact Jayco. They would know.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by altar1 View Post
I know many pop-ups say not to run WD setups because their frames are very light. You probably should contact Jayco. They would know. Tom
Based on math, my "gut reaction" is to recommend a WD Hitch. re: If tonque weight is more then hitch weight, then WD hitch is needed. Or, upgrade the hitch on the TV. Trailer's tonque weight should never be higher then hitch weight. If it is and there's an accident, the lawyers would have lots of income (from this unsafe situation) during many court battles.

But being a "light weight" frame on the Jayco, I agree with you. It would be best to contact Jayco ( re: http://www.jayco.com/php/about/contact.form.php ) and get their official advise. As you implied, one doesn't want to accidentally bend their trailer's tounge / frame area. Especially if trailer is still under warranty and doing something at this level without checking might void their warranty as well. Not to mention, accidently creating a bent frame.

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:49 AM   #7

While it may not be required for lightweight trailers, a properly set up WD system will insure that the weight of the vehicle stays distributed properly between the steering and the drive axel. I just don't see a down side to it.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote