Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #1

X23B Mattress Moisture

Hey everyone. My wife and I just got back from a nice 10 day vacation in our new X23B. We were in Maine and NB Canada.

We traded in our 2012 Jayco X17Z a few months back and got the new 2015 X23B. The trailer lives beautifully and we did not feel crowded at all even with my mother-in-law with us. Overall a great trip.

One thing we did notice, though. The new mattresses they use in the 2015 X23B are different than the 2012 X17Z. They are a bit softer (which is nice!) and the bottoms are a different material. The new mattresses were getting wet where the mattress sits on the bunk end. The temps did dip down in the high 40's to low 50's at night. We tried the trick of leaving the flaps open, but they were still wet in the morning. Anyone else having this issue? We didn't have this issue with the older style mattress in our 17Z.

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allamuchy Joe View Post
Anyone else having this issue?
Yep...condensation under the mattress. I have tried many of the tips/tricks people recommend. Leaving windows unzipped, run the fan, open the vent, vinyl mattress covers...none of them worked. I bought 2 sheets of the 4'x8'x 1" thick green foam insulation from Lowes, cut it and placed it under the mattress. Didn't have an issue last trip, but the temp wasn't real cool outside at night. The cool nights is when we have had the issue.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
Yep...condensation under the mattress. I have tried many of the tips/tricks people recommend. Leaving windows unzipped, run the fan, open the vent, vinyl mattress covers...none of them worked. I bought 2 sheets of the 4'x8'x 1" thick green foam insulation from Lowes, cut it and placed it under the mattress. Didn't have an issue last trip, but the temp wasn't real cool outside at night. The cool nights is when we have had the issue.
We didn't really have the issue with the 2012 Jayco mattress, only the new one. Jayco changed the mattress supplier to Denver Mattress since 2012. I was going to try some foam packing insulation under the mattress. I also have some foam sleeping pads from my tent camping days I may try.

Joe
Old 09-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #4

More on Condensation issues

First of all, I'm no expert at all regarding your issue of condensation inside your Jayco X23B so with that being said I'll mention what happen to me & the path I took in figuring out why what happened did indeed happen.
While I am a Jayco Greyhawk owner, I still own a Citation Supreme 990 Camper that at one time had some serious condensation issues on top of the Queen Bed while stored inside a building. If the dewpoint & temperature inside your Jayco X23B come within 5 degrees of each each other, condensation can occur. Apparently the condensation can collect in strange locations, based on minor temperature differences in the same enclosure. I found a forum that talked about this phenomina. Please wade through the info & perhaps your solution may be found there. I solved the condensation issue inside the camper while inside an unheated storage building by plugging in a dehumidifier, keeping the air dry. Here's the link to the Forum:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...print/true.cfm Good Luck in your solution!
Old_Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:41 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

my X17A does the same thing. Camping on the East Coast gives lots of changes in temps. I encased my mattresses in waterproof covers.

Where did you stay in NB?
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:04 AM   #6

Nbhybrid - friends of ours wanted to see the Bay of Fundy, so we were in St John for 2 nights. We stayed at Rockwood park, which was really nice. We weren't there long enough to check out the golf, zoo, or bike trails, but it was the perfect location to check out the local sights. We really enjoyed the Fundy Trail, absolutely beautiful views.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
my X17A does the same thing. Camping on the East Coast gives lots of changes in temps. I encased my mattresses in waterproof covers.

Where did you stay in NB?
nb...how have the covers worked out for you?
As I mentioned, I did the same, but I found there was moisture between the mattress and the cover. You couldn't feel it with the cover on, but you could see the cover sticking to the mattress.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

I guess I never checked the mattress. Just assumed they were in a quality waterproof case that they wouldn't be wet. The protector still gets wet but I just wipe it every morning with a towel.

I will have to check it next year.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #9

We had the same problem in our 2015 X23B, this time I did a mod; removed the stock exhaust fan and replaced with Vortex II. The new exhaust fan has three forward speed and two reverse speed and it really moves air. Just came back from J P Coleman State Park in MS after three days of camping we had zero condensation problems.

I must say though this fan is louder than stock but wifey likes it and uses it as white noise.
desipilot is offline   Reply With Quote