Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #1

DC power

I can not get anything to work electrically off of the battery. It is a brand new battery, 30 amp fuse is good, no fuses are blown, no breakers have tripped. When I had the trailer at home on the driveway cleaning it, everything worked fine being plugged into electrical from the house. Now that the trailer has been moved out to my hunting property everything will run on my Honda generator, but it will blow the 30 amp fuse on the battery. Any ideas will be appreciated, JIM
comfortzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #2

Did you connect the battery correctly?
Old 10-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #3

no I did not, I did not realize till later that the hook up was totally the opposite of the norm. I blue fuse's and then realized the hook up was the opposite. After hooking up the cables and the ground the proper way the electrical system did not work, but will work with a generator. any help will be appreciated. JIM
Old 10-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #4

Did you check the converter itself? I think there is also a fuse in it that will blow if the polarity is reversed.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:41 PM   #5

I had the same problem. When I put the Jack down the cable for the brake got stuck under the Jack and pulled the emergency pin out. This caused the brakes to drain the battery and it would pop the fuse at the battery when I hooked the shoreline up to the generator.
Chodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #6

No Power
Battery good, terminals hooked up the right way, good 30 amp fuse. Went to convertor box and checked the 30 amp fuses on it, they were also good. No power. When hooked to the generator everything works. When hooked to a land line everything works. Is something wrong with the convertor box? Please help!!!! Jim
Old 11-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortzone View Post
No Power
Battery good, terminals hooked up the right way, good 30 amp fuse. Went to convertor box and checked the 30 amp fuses on it, they were also good. No power. When hooked to the generator everything works. When hooked to a land line everything works. Is something wrong with the convertor box? Please help!!!! Jim
Did you verify that the TT's charge controller's reverse polarity fuse did not blow? Check ALL fuses with a electrical continuity checker, not visual)
Are you getting 12volts at the TT's charge controller's 12volt battery supply input lug?

If not try this..
Voltage check!!
Without Shore power or generator connected.
Make sure you have 12VDC at the battery.
What is the voltage at the +POSITIVE terminal and the FRAME ground point?

Did you check to make sure that the Battery's ground cable has a good connection on the frame?

Pull your main 30 amp fuse.. take a volt/ohm meter and see if you have 12VDC inside the fuse holder connector that is wired to the battery.

Insert a NEW 30Amp fuse, just to be safe/sure!

If all else fails try this..
Pull the 30Amp main fuse..
Since you say that your getting 12VDC in the TT with shore power, plug in your TT to shore power (should have working lights....) and check to see if you are getting12VDC on the inside of the main 30 amp fuse holder. With the shore power connected there should be 12VDC on each side of the fuse holder connectors (12Volts from TT's charge controller on one side and 12 volts from battery on other side).

Odds are the side back to the TT's charge controller will not have 12VDC on it, which means that more than likely one of the main fuses is blown (reverse polarity fuse).. You may want to pull each fuse and check to see if you have 12VDC on one side of the main fuses.

It sounds like the wire/cable between the TT's battery charge controller and the 30 amp fuse is OPEN.

Just my thoughts,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #8
Site Team

''Did you verify that the TT's charge controller's reverse polarity fuse did not blow?''
This is the problem I had. I believe that mine had two 30 amp fuses both where blown

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote