Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #1

Water Leaking in Through A/C

After we returned home from our summer outing, it rained throughout the next day. While we were unloading the camper, I noticed water pouring out of the air conditioner and all over the floor and rear entertainment center. It had run into the overhead cabinet at the rear of the camper and ruined the vinyl covered particle board trim piece and caused the particle board cabinet top to swell along the edges. The pleated shade and valance were both soaking wet. I removed the 5 screws holding the A/C cowling in place and noticed that the two rear bolts holding the A/C in place had worked loose about 3/8" of an inch & the two front ones were also loose. Fortunately it is still under warranty. According to the service manager at my dealership, it is a fairly common occurrence for these bolts to vibrate loose. I will definitely be checking them on a regular basis from now on.
2013 Jayco Premier 321 RLTS w/Atwood Levelegs (now removed)
ckdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Your fortunate that the warranty will cover the damage caused by the leak. Also, your service manager is correct about the common occurrence of the A/C bolts either being loose from the factory and loosening over time.

There is even a lengthy JOF thread on the subject:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ht=a%2Fc+bolts

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #3

Appreciate the link, Bob. I've owned a lot of RVs over the years and this is the first time that I've run into this problem. I suspect that these bolts never really got tightened at the factory.
2013 Jayco Premier 321 RLTS w/Atwood Levelegs (now removed)
ckdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #4

If memory serves me correctly, I think that I read that these bolts are not supposed to be tightened down "tight" but rather snug. There is a somewhat rigid foam ring located between the roof and the AC unit and it's not supposed to be smashed down completely. Anybody out there who can verify this?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

it says make sure the 4 mounting bolts are "tight" in my owners guide

very loosely (no pun intended) interpreted
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #6

Have a look at your manual. In mine it says compress to 1/2". There are also yellow tabs in the corners that hang down to indicate the gap for a healthy gasket. You can see them by removing the filter. The idea is to have the gasket compressed evenly on all 4 sides. If there is minor leakage you might see water stains on the roofing material that is folded down in to the opening. I have had to tighten the bolts on our 2008 and our 2012 5th wheels after lots of road trips. Not sure why you wouldn't use thread lock to keep them tight. Anywho keep checking them!
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdixon View Post
Appreciate the link, Bob. I've owned a lot of RVs over the years and this is the first time that I've run into this problem. I suspect that these bolts never really got tightened at the factory.
Likewise, in all the units I have owned, so far, have never experienced this problem. Longest I have kept a unit is 10 years but last one only 2 years. This one I plan to kept for a long time, so that is something I am going to add to my check list.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:25 AM   #8

I recently had the service guy at our dealership take a look at our main air conditioner. It didn't seem to be working very well. The air dam between the inlet/outlet air was not in the correct position. He corrected that.

While he was at it, he tightened the mounting bolts. They were very loose. I had observed a drip from the air conditioner while it was raining outside on one of our recent trips. I know what to look for now.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
I recently had the service guy at our dealership take a look at our main air conditioner. It didn't seem to be working very well. The air dam between the inlet/outlet air was not in the correct position. He corrected that.

While he was at it, he tightened the mounting bolts. They were very loose. I had observed a drip from the air conditioner while it was raining outside on one of our recent trips. I know what to look for now.
I had the same experience with the middle air dam, it's twisted on diagonal corners so when I inspected the bolts after returning form a 51 day trip I found it out of position, a drip stain and 2 loose bolts. I cleaned the filter twice on the trip and never noticed the air dam out of position so can't be sure when it happened.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

took mine apart tonight and tightened them down. the front 2 were pretty good but the back 2 were loose by a couple of turns.

They can be overtightened though so be careful
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #11

Will be inspecting both my ac units today. Unit has been in service since last November so going to inspect filters anyway as ac's have gotten a lot of use this summer. We will see what happens. Just got new door lock mechanism in yesterday from Bauer due to getting locked in fifth wheeler last week. Replaced that mechanism and it works so quietly each and every time. I don't know what improvements they have made but I can tell a noticeable difference in operation from the old to the new.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #12

The bolts will work loose over time, check them each season and keep them snug.
rbarker46 is offline   Reply With Quote