Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #1

Slide awnings - anyone install them on their Jayflight?

Howdy everyone -

I'm looking into adding slide awnings to my Jayflight G2 32BHDS and am wondering if anyone here has done the same. Does anyone have any pictures of the install (preferably some with slide in and some with slide out)?

Don't limit the responses to only Jayflight TTs... if anyone has slide awnings on ANY of their trailers, please post pics!

Thanks,

- Steve
TexasA&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #2

I've heard some people have had problems with the awnings collecting water in a sag in the middle of the awning and/or with wind whipping them to tatters. Because of this, I've been considering making solid ones from a welded aluminum frame with foam cut to fit inside and an aluminum skin both glued and riveted in place. Should be strong and rigid but still lightweight. I would hinge it to the side of the trailer with an eyebrow over the hinge side to ward off rainwater. When the slide was retracted, the cover would hang down against the side of the trailer wall where it could be latched for travel. When setting up, all I would have to do is unlatch the awning and extend the slide. A polyethylene pad on the upper outside corner would protect both the slide and the awning from friction damage. As the slide reached full extension, it would engage a catch of some kind (probably a pin on the slide into a socket on the awning or vice versa) to lock it down. The awning would be wind resistant because of its rigidity, wouldn't pool water, and would knock out even more heat from sun than a fabric awning. It would look like heck on the side of the trailer with the slides retracted but since the trailer will spend the vast majority of its life set up somewhere, I really don't care.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #3

For a good "soft fabric" Slide Topper Install video, surf:

Some say that if a slide fabric is too level (re: NO Slope), it will sag and collect water. And, risk of tearing or water getting inside the TT - when slide is pulled in. Thus, a special support system can be created and installed "under" the awning fabric. For example, light weight ABS piping and some glue. For a few pictures, surf:
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/16629730
http://www.modmyrv.com/wp-content/ga...r-summit-1.jpg

If wondering, I built my own "hard top" slide cover. For my seasonal site 2006 Jayco 29FBS TT (which is a JayFeather class), I bought some light weight steel U-channels, some fibreglass sheets, some white 4" hinges and 3 x vertical steel poles (to hold outer weight of the slide cover). This mid May (weather permitting), I plan to screw the white hinges to the side of our trailer (seal with white RV Flex silicone caulk) and to remove this hard top slide, I simply remove the horizontal pins (from the hinges). Being a hard top material (like a removable hard top vehicle - like GM Tracker vehicle), it will take weather abuse much better (compared to soft fabric material). And, it will take rain abuse much better as well. And being installed with hinges, its can shift and move around - as front leaves the ground). Will provide before and after pictures at end of May. If into DIY builds, perhaps you can create your own "hard material" Slide Cover as well?

If into "store bought" slide covers and still wanting a "hard cover", surf: http://www.durabilt.com/portablerv/foldeddown.html

Hope this helps in your research....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike99 View Post
...If into "store bought" slide covers and still wanting a "hard cover", surf: http://www.durabilt.com/portablerv/foldeddown.html...
Well, Dang! And here I thought I had an original idea. I think...no...I know I could do better than that, though. I would farm out the welding and bending of the aluminum tube frame. The corners would be radiused and the aluminum skin, both top and bottom, would be one piece riveted to the frame. If I couldn't find a commercial eyebrow long enough, I could either take two shorter ones and splice them into a longer one or cut a short one in half and splice in a fabricated piece (easy to bend). It would definitely look better that rattrap contraption in the photo.

I was curious to see what they would cost but apparently Durabilt just makes them for fun because I couldn't find a dealer. I did find out they have to be removed from the trailer before moving it. That's a crock. I did get the idea that I could make it wider and longer than the slide and maybe even add a valence trim aound it (see here for photo). They also make (but for all I can tell, don't sell) vented gable ends to keep out crud and critters. Nice idea but they would be a hurt in the donkey to install and remove everytime you moved (same for their slide topper). Now I get to figure out how to make gable ends that will self fold and lock as the slide moves in and self deploy and lock as the slide moves out. Oh my aching head. See what you started?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasA&M View Post
Howdy everyone - Does anyone have any pictures of the install (preferably some with slide in and some with slide out)? - Steve
Hi Steve.

To see lots of in and out pictures with slide toppers, surf:

http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&so...&aqi=&aql=&oq=

To enlarge each small picture, simply left mouse click on the target picture.

Hope this helps in your research....

Old 04-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #6

Sorry Lady.... Didn't want to make you think too much. re: Think how to create a better slide "hard top" cover, or think of ways to make millions from your better design. Hopefully, you can bring this idea to its next higher level... And, make it affordable for the "average" lower - middle income buyer...

They probably want the "hard top" slide cover removed because of "road bounce" on its upper fasteners. I'm sure over time, the track or screws (that are NOT re-enforeced behind the factory TT wall) are not very secure. If screwed into a thick back plate and its hinged down cover was "locked in" at the bottom (much like awning support posts are secured at both top and bottom while traveling), then perhaps the hard cover could remain attached (while traveling). To me, only fastened at the top is too risky while being towed. re: Don't want it to fall off from hard road bumps during transport and accidently hurt someone. If you can make a better slide and make millions from it, "go for it". If affordable, I'd buy one off you. I'm sure your work would be much better (cleaner looking) then my under $200 DIY "hard top" slide cover.

Good luck.....

Old 04-21-2011, 01:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike99 View Post

Sorry Lady.... Didn't want to make you think too much. re: Think how to create a better slide "hard top" cover, or think of ways to make millions from your better design. Hopefully, you can bring this idea to its next higher level... And, make it affordable for the "average" lower - middle income buyer...

They probably want the "hard top" slide cover removed because of "road bounce" on its upper fasteners. I'm sure over time, the track or screws (that are NOT re-enforeced behind the factory TT wall) are not very secure. If screwed into a thick back plate and its hinged down cover was "locked in" at the bottom (much like awning support posts are secured at both top and bottom while traveling), then perhaps the hard cover could remain attached (while traveling). To me, only fastened at the top is too risky while being towed. re: Don't want it to fall off from hard road bumps during transport and accidently hurt someone. If you can make a better slide and make millions from it, "go for it". If affordable, I'd buy one off you. I'm sure your work would be much better (cleaner looking) then my under $200 DIY "hard top" slide cover.

Good luck.....

Can't comment on your slide topper since I haven't seen it. The Dura-bilt I have seen and it looks Mickey Mouse. I'm retired so I have no desire to produce the things; just make some affordable, easy to use, decent looking ones for my trailer (once I get it).

Still got brain strain trying to figure out an easy way to have the gable ends.