Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #1

Window a/c unit opinions please

I'm looking into installing a window unit in my jayco eagle 10 I've seen it done several times but would like some advice and opinions, I have a few spots I can put one 2 easier than the one, in thinking under either of the ends front or back, the back wall has nothing there but would have to build a brace on the outside to the bumper to support it but the front there is a box which is added on that I would probably take out that way the tongue can help support it, my other idea was the side under the table but seems like more work, whatever way I may do it I will be using the metal I cut out to make a door to cover the hole with when not in use so I plan on sliding it in and out depending on when we want to use it, I plan on lining the door that I make with weather stripping so no water gets in while its not in use but would like anybodys opinions on this matter and the size of a/c I may want to go with I appreciate it. Thank you
Tim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #2

oh I also plan on extra bracing and support by building a wood frame for it to slide in while in use
Old 08-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #3

You could always do this and it would give you positive air pressure inside the trailer...100% make-up air!
Attached Thumbnails
024.JPG  
Old 08-25-2014, 08:24 PM   #4

I put a 5000 btu window unit in a s 8' starcraft and in the hot part of the day it was like I didn't have ac . my next popup had a roof mount that worked great.
snapper388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
You could always do this and it would give you positive air pressure inside the trailer...100% make-up air!
I have also seen this done positive to this is no cutting of the box
Old 08-25-2014, 08:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper388 View Post
I put a 5000 btu window unit in a s 8' starcraft and in the hot part of the day it was like I didn't have ac . my next popup had a roof mount that worked great.
I've heard of this problem to where you don't feel any difference unless its evening I'm kinda worried about it but would pull humidity out too
Old 08-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #7

The great thing about a pop up is, that if you don't like the weather where you are, you can pop it down and tow it somewhere else..

My 2c
Old 09-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #8

Window? Why not consider a roof mounted air conditioner. It's always there, no monkey business, easy access to controls inside your trailer. No gimmicks. It's also out of site when the PU is open. If your going to cut a hole in your trailer anyway go with the roof model.
vmswilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmswilliamson View Post
Window? Why not consider a roof mounted air conditioner. It's always there, no monkey business, easy access to controls inside your trailer. No gimmicks. It's also out of site when the PU is open. If your going to cut a hole in your trailer anyway go with the roof model.
more cost would be my guess...less than hundred for one and many for the other...I have seen A/C units cause cracks in the roofs from them bouncing down the road
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #10

Interesting nbhybrid you may be right, but there has to be something better than cutting holes into the side of your trailer and lugging around an air conditioning unit. I guess I prefer a simpler set-up.
vmswilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #11

I would much rather have the roof mounted a/c but mine isn't rated for the setup and cost has a little to do with it but I'm not even sure if I'm going to put one in now after thinking about it and everybodys feed back just doesn't seem like a good idea
Old 09-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #12

Have you considered a 10K-12K portable AC? That might be good enough to cool a pop-up, and the only "hole" you'll need is a small round vent hole for the hot air (or send it out a partially open window).
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvangil View Post
Have you considered a 10K-12K portable AC? That might be good enough to cool a pop-up, and the only "hole" you'll need is a small round vent hole for the hot air (or send it out a partially open window).
yeah I've been thinking about those here lately I had forgot that they made portables