Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #1

Eagle 5th Wheel (Soon-To-Be) Rookie Questions

I'm set to pick up a 31.5FBHS in a few weeks. I've got a couple of questions that I'm researching online but could used some more expertise if anyone wants to claim that.

1. Hitch Recommendations: I've got a recent model year F350 with a 6.5ft shorter bed with the Ford 5th wheel attachment points/holes/structure. Does anyone have any recommendations for a hitch on this? Is a slider required with this combo and Eagle 5th Wheel (which will have the MorRyde pin box)?
2. Height Adjustments: I've got the possibility of being able to store the fifth wheel in a shed at times with an opening of 13' even. The 31.5FBHS is 13'1" in my configuration... Is there any adjustment that could be made to the fifth wheel (e.g. remove an air conditioning panel, etc) or trick (e.g. reduce tire pressure, park and use a dolly, etc) that could lend me a couple of inches when trying to clear an opening of this height? Once inside the shed there is plenty of clearance... it's just getting through the door that is tight.

Thanks.
jayco_ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:46 PM   #2

We have a Pull Rite slider fifth wheel hitch. I love it. Has a couple of extra moving parts so there is a little running maintenance that needs to be done but no biggee. We got the cheaper Pull Rite with the rails in the box. I don't mind them and have used them for tying down other stuff when not hauling the camper.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayco_ro View Post
I'm set to pick up a 31.5FBHS in a few weeks. I've got a couple of questions that I'm researching online but could used some more expertise if anyone wants to claim that.

1. Hitch Recommendations: I've got a recent model year F350 with a 6.5ft shorter bed with the Ford 5th wheel attachment points/holes/structure. Does anyone have any recommendations for a hitch on this? Is a slider required with this combo and Eagle 5th Wheel (which will have the MorRyde pin box)?
2. Height Adjustments: I've got the possibility of being able to store the fifth wheel in a shed at times with an opening of 13' even. The 31.5FBHS is 13'1" in my configuration... Is there any adjustment that could be made to the fifth wheel (e.g. remove an air conditioning panel, etc) or trick (e.g. reduce tire pressure, park and use a dolly, etc) that could lend me a couple of inches when trying to clear an opening of this height? Once inside the shed there is plenty of clearance... it's just getting through the door that is tight.

Thanks.
1) I have a 2013 F350 with the 6.5' bed. I have a Husky 16K slider hitch. I haven't had to use the slider function yet with my 5er but with my 2015 Jayco Eagle HT it has come close at times. I also have the Mor/Ryde. Unfortunetly the Mor/Ryde does sit a little higher than a normal 5er hitch but your hitch can be adjusted. I would recommend a slider, but IMO it is not worth it to spend the big bucks on an auto slider because you won't have to use it very much.

2) I have no experience here. Good luck!
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:41 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #5

Id recommend a slider hitch as well. I have a short bed ford, with no slider, and have been closer to the cab than id like to be. I'll be getting one soon.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #6
Site Team

You have pretty much nailed the clearance issue. Take off the AC shroud and let some air out of the tires. I would consider putting it on blocks once inside.
This is not something I would do over once a year.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #7

Couple ideas on the shed.

Is the floor dirt or concrete? If it's dirt, probably be easy to take a couple inches off the ground one time and wont have to mess with airing tires up and down. A few minutes with a skid steer would fix that.
Another possibility....Could you trim a couple inches off the top of the door opening to get clearance?

Maybe a little bit of both to get about 13'4'' in the clear?
Old 10-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #8

I have a '13 F350 6.7 short bed and hitch with the B&W Companion OEM (attaches to the factory under-bed mount) and think it's great (but it's also the only one I've owned). We also have the Mor-Ryde pin box
To do over again, I would probably get the Reese slider that mounts to the under-bed mount.
"Why?", you ask.
I discovered the hard way that when making a full-lock U-turn the front cap will contact the rear of the cab and cause the rear window to explode which causes me to mess my pants. I am now super careful when turning.
Unless you can verify your new 5th doesn't need one I'd be thinking slider.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #9

i bought the reese pro 15k slider new for like 500 bucks, works awesome just need to spray a little lube on the moving parts every so often and she slides back and forth like butter
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #10

Thanks

Thanks for the information so far. This is really helpful especially given that you have experience with a very similar installation. Sounds like a slider is the conservative best bet based upon experiences and I'd rather go that route for peace of mind - I don't want exploding rear windows.... I already did that once to my minivan when I backed out of the garage with the trunk open and that is no fun.

It seems like there are automatic and manual slider options so I guess that will be the next consideration. It looks like from a manufacturers standpoint that Reese may have the upper hand since it seems like Ford based its 5th wheel prep kit based upon the Reese, but with that said Reese and others make adapters that allow for pretty much anything to get installed.

With regards to height, does anyone have any input on if I am likely to have the right degree of available/required adjustment in the hitch to ensure a properly level and vertically placed hook up of the Eagle? I've got 18" tires, assuming a Reese Slider Hitch, and a Mor-Ryde pin box, I suspect there is some/enough vertical adjustment to the Hitch that would allow me to consider this. Thanks again.
jayco_ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #11

The dealer doing the install can get it all set up for you.

I recommend the automatic slider hitches. The extra couple of hundred bucks it will cost you is cheap insurance. You will spend more money on beer this year than on your hitch.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayco_ro View Post
Thanks for the information so far. This is really helpful especially given that you have experience with a very similar installation. Sounds like a slider is the conservative best bet based upon experiences and I'd rather go that route for peace of mind - I don't want exploding rear windows.... I already did that once to my minivan when I backed out of the garage with the trunk open and that is no fun.

It seems like there are automatic and manual slider options so I guess that will be the next consideration. It looks like from a manufacturers standpoint that Reese may have the upper hand since it seems like Ford based its 5th wheel prep kit based upon the Reese, but with that said Reese and others make adapters that allow for pretty much anything to get installed.

With regards to height, does anyone have any input on if I am likely to have the right degree of available/required adjustment in the hitch to ensure a properly level and vertically placed hook up of the Eagle? I've got 18" tires, assuming a Reese Slider Hitch, and a Mor-Ryde pin box, I suspect there is some/enough vertical adjustment to the Hitch that would allow me to consider this. Thanks again.
When I looked at hitches, the automatic Pullrite was about $2500 and my Husky slider was about $700 installed. Big price difference and not worth it to me. With my F350 I rarely see a reason to use it but I wouldn't be without it just in case.

Also, with my HT and my hitch/truck setup I did have to adjust the truck hitch. The trailer still does not sit perfectly level but I cannot adjust the hitch anymore without being too close to the truck bed. It looks fine and functions normally, but with the Mor/Ryde, a F350 suspension, and a light pin weight it does sit slightly nose high. Only way to really fix it I believe is to get large wheels at some point. But like I said its not a problem. It actually looks level but does read that way...
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #13

I have a Pullrite slider hitch which I have had in my F-350 and is now in my GMC. The hitch has worked perfect in both vehicles. I have pulled several different makes of 5th wheels and I am glad I had the slider option on a few occasions. The two main things I look for when adjusting the hitch to the trailer is to maintain at least 6" of clearance above the side rails and to watch very close your first tight backup to be sure the rear of the trailer pin does not come into contact with your tailgate. I found this a problem twice. The solution is simple as you should have enough clearance between your trailer and the truck to leave your tailgate down when the slider is in the rear position. I prefer the manual hitch as it is easy to operate and since I am already out of the truck to look at any tight parking space I thought I could find other places to spend the savings between the auto or manual hitch.
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #14

When you get the 5er hooked up,remeasure hight,probly shorter hooked up with truck squatting a little than when setup level.
Is there a way to frame out an opening and put a door wide and tall enough to clear ac?
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote