Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #1

Converter Question

I put a 1600 watt inverter in my 5th wheel. i have a 2000 Champion gen that won't run the microwave. The inverter will run the microwave just fine. If you have the generator running while you are running the microwave with the inverter, it clearly is pulling a heavy load on the generator and the fan on the converter runs quite a bit. The fan rarely ever has run before under normal conditions on the converter. Is there any danger of doing damage to the converter if you pull a heavy load on the batteries while the converter is being powered??
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #2

Need specific information. How many amps is the converter rated for? How many amps is the inverter drawing when running the microwave?

If the inverter is pulling more than 80% of the converter rating I would limit its use to less than 15 minutes at a time.

Just at first thought I would not recommend this arrangement. I am suspecting your battery may be supplementing the converter in this case.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #3

I think its a 60 amp converter. The microwave is using 1000 watts of draw. I'm not real comfortable with the way the generator revs up. obviously its is calling for a lot more power then the converter normally calls for. I tend to think that this is a case where the tail is wagging the dog. I was hoping that someone could tell me exactly is going on.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
Need specific information. How many amps is the converter rated for? How many amps is the inverter drawing when running the microwave?

If the inverter is pulling more than 80% of the converter rating I would limit its use to less than 15 minutes at a time.

Just at first thought I would not recommend this arrangement. I am suspecting your battery may be supplementing the converter in this case.

I think that you are correct about not being a good arrangement. It appears that the converter attempts to carry the full load even tho the batteries are fully charged. I only ran the microwave for 1 minute under those conditions. I feel certain that it would shorten the life of the converter if it was trying to put out maximum power on a regular basis. i was still surprised that the converter would react in that radical of a way!!
Old 09-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #5

You are correct. It is not a good condition for the converter. Even at 100% efficiency on the inverter (which ain't gonna happen) 60 amps at 13.5 VDC is only 810 watts. 190 watts less than the microwave needs. The battery IS trying to make up the difference but the converter is running flat out. Nope, don't do it. It will destroy the converter in short order.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #6
Site Team

A little confused here.. which is perfectly normal for me..
You are:
1- Running your 2000 watt generator plugged into your shore power (Correct?)
2- Running your 1600 watt inverter while your shore power is plugged into your generator, at the same time? (Correct?)

How is your inverter's 120VAC output wired?

So you are pumping 120VAC from your generator and 120VAC from your inverter into the TT's 120VAC system at the same time?

I hope not!

What you may want to do is:

1- Wire your 120VAC that feeds your TT's charge controller into its own AC breaker. (I did this for my solar connection)

2- When you want to run your microwave,
..... Turn off the TT's charge controller breaker which will eliminate the current needed to charge your batteries, and will allow your generator's output to go to the microwave and not split its out put between the microwave and the TT's charge controller.
..... Turn off your Inverter (should only be used when NO shore power or generator is connected)

3- Start your generator and you should find that it will easily run your microwave (make sure your not running your coffee pot, hair dryer, AC at the same time)

4- After the microwave (hair dryer, coffeepot..) is done, turn the AC breaker back on.

MOST inverters are NOT designed to be run at the same time your shore power is active. If they happen to get out of phase you can have some very interesting events happen. Automated systems turn on/off the inverter based on shore power availability.

Just my thoughts,
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote