Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #1

When on the move....

I have a question for people who travel in their RVs a lot. I've seen pictures and blogs with the RV kitchen all set up with coffee maker on the counter, knife racks full of knives, etc. Do you actually leave all that 'stuff' on the counter when you are on the move? Or does it all go into it's own storage space? I can't see leaving it for fear of it falling off, but then, if you have to reset up everything thing each night when you stop, that seems like a bit of a pain. I bought a magnetic knife rack to install, but am also worried that as we travel the knives will fall off and possibly do some damage. Is there a secret to getting things to stay put?

2008 Jayco Jayflight G2 31BHDS
2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Diesel, Crew Cab/ Short Box
Little Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #2

We move everything off of the counters and put it in a locked cabinet or at a minimum on the floor. Things get bounced around pretty good back there riding down the road and you have to keep in mind what might happen in the case or an emergency stop. Like if I have an ice chest riding on the floor, I move it all of the way forward to where it is against the cabinet, wall, bed, whatever so if I make a quick stop it won't slide and cause damage.

When we get there, my wife gets the necessities out and restraightens the cabinets whole I unhook and connect the utilities. We laugh because our cabinet with all of the drinking glasses and plateware (plastic) look like a Tasmanian devil was let loose in there. Cabinets that are packed a little tighter with less room to slide around tend to do better.
Jace817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #3

Thanks Jace817!

Old 07-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #4

We definitely secure everything during transport. Though, we don't have much stuff on our counter tops anyway, so it's not that big a deal.

I was surprised how much things move around in there when I found my microwave turntable plate all cattywompus one time. I've started taking it out and putting it in the cabinet with the plates.

Knives live in the drawers for us (we have more drawer and cabinet space then we'll ever fill), but FIL has a in-counter rack in his MH that works very nicely. If you want to hang them from the wall like on a magnet, consider this: http://www.amazon.com/Camco-Wall-Mou...unt+knife+rack

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #5

I'm about to start my "Great Adventure" of full time RVing! After living in a fully (and
IMHO nicely) decorated house for lo' these many years, the inside of my new Eagle TT seemed pretty stark. So, I moved as many of my "priceless heirlooms" (ie: JUNK) into my trailer as possible. Pictures were attached to the walls using 3M Command Strips and their version of Velcro. Fish were attached using nail-in picture hooks and Command Strips (for stability); Shelf was screwed to wall into TV mounting backer (bedroom TV is on other side of the wall); nick-knacks were attached to shelf and fireplace with clear silicone sealant. Vase and flower pot attached to countertop & table using Command Strips to facilitate removal for cleaning or for converting the dinette to sleeping space. The only items that will need to be stored during travel are my coffee maker, toaster, and my precious Indian statue (not pictured). I have "nesting racks" installed in my cabinets (see "My Mods To Date" thread) for my dishes, pots & pans, and small appliances like coffee maker, toaster, blender, mixing bowls, casseroles, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00104.jpg   DSC00105.jpg   DSC00106.jpg   DSC00107.jpg   DSC00115.jpg  

DSC00112.jpg   DSC00109.jpg   DSC00110.jpg   DSC00069.jpg   DSC00083.jpg  

Old 07-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #6

Brownie, the last pic makes me think you may have a touch of OCD . Who organizes their pots and pans? GOOD LUCK IN YOUR NEW ADVENTURE

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #7

we have traveled with knives on our magnetic knife rack and the knives have always stayed on it. Everything else has been put away.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #8

Hey what the matter with the pots and pans, That is how My drawers looks.
I also put everything away before a pull the trailer.
I find putting things in the bath tub works good. dirty cloths and baskets
Every thing has it spot on the trailer and God help you if you do not put it back where it belongs
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #9

Brownie, I love the fish! Every camper should have them. Now we just need to replace the fiberglass siding with logs . You will have to keep us posted on how well all so that stuff of the walls "stays put" during your driving. Safe travels!
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #10

Our coffee maker fits quite nicely in the smaller sink when travelling. Everything else is in cupboards and drawers. We take certain stuff out when settled somewhere, but otherwise it's all stored away. Heavier stuff on the floor.

I bought a couple of flatter long rubbermaid containers that slide in nicely under the doors that open under the dinette. In there I keep all my pots, casserole dishes and baking pans.

I have virtually everything that's in a cupboard sitting inside some kind of plastic container -- including all our clothes. I just find it a lot easier to one tote for shirts, and one for shorts & pants. I just yank it out and grab what I want. Keeps them organized.

In our large wardrobe in the bathroom I put two stackable plastic clear drawers sets. Four drawers in each. That's where all my plastic wrap, bags, cleaning products and linen is stored. The bottom drawers do a great job of holding 12 cans of beer or pop too! (LOL)
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I was surprised how much things move around in there when I found my microwave turntable plate all cattywompus one time. I've started taking it out and putting it in the cabinet with the plates.
We fill the microwave with a roll of paper towel and paper plates and then the turntable plate doesn't move.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #12

LOL, we put the paper towel and the bread in our micro and it has the same effect!
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #13

As I camp in forestry campsites I use it as a bread box.
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #14

We put anything on the counter tops away. Into storage containers, etc. Especially the microwave glass turntable. We put that inside the dinette chair storage with a towel wrapped around it. Have not hung anything on the walls. That is a great touch.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
Brownie, the last pic makes me think you may have a touch of OCD . Who organizes their pots and pans? GOOD LUCK IN YOUR NEW ADVENTURE
Plowtoy,

The "nesting racks" aren't so much for the organization, as they are to prevent the dishes, pots & pans, etc. from sliding around, banging into each other, and getting scratched & dented. But, I suppose I am a little anal retentive!

I'll definitely keep everyone posted on how everything stays put during my travels. Thanks to all for their good wishes!
Old 07-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #16

Thanks to all for your ideas and suggestions! keep them coming!!