Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2014, 11:21 PM   #1

Cigar Lighter Issues

Hi Everyone:

I have a (new to me) 2008 Jayco on a Ford E450 chassis. When preparing to leave for a trip last week I attempted to plug my GPS, cell phone charger, and 1 to 2 way splitter into my cigar lighter or power point or whatever they call it now the receptacle is too small. I was afraid to force it for fear of breaking the dash. My questions are...

Does anyone know a way to fix this. If the lighter socket needs to be changed does it pop out or have a nut to be taken off from under the dash.

I am considering just adding a new receptacle under the dash if all else fails.

Thank You!!
The Boltman
Boltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:41 AM   #2

Boltman

I don't think Ford ever made a different size lighter. I suspect that some previous owner put a device in that he couldn't get out and it's stuck in there. Take a close look at the opening to be sure something is not stuck in there or stop by a Ford dealer and let him look at it.

Good Luck
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:25 AM   #3

I agree with Bob, when i worked for Ford, we at time would find the remnants,of a cell charger,or power supply end stuck in the socket area, what would happen is that the device would unscrew and leave a small contact button and the cap stuck down in the socket, be sure to locate the fuse, on some fords,the fuse for the lighter/power point is the fuse for the air bag and horn... your lay out might not be like that ... hope this helps
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #4

You guys were right. Took a flashlight and found the remnants of a plug and cap off something, and a blown fuse as well. Every thing works well now and thanks everyone for your help.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:44 AM   #5
Site Team

I had that happen to a friend and found the power plug from their GPS stuffed in there. It unscrews from the plug and just happened to get left in there.
It's a good idea to tighten up the power plug on any dc powered gadgets now and again.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #6

On my older truck I found one of those extension multi-port 12VDC sockets and plugged into the original dash socket... This gave more connection points and got my 12VDC closer to the dash console where I had things to use the 12VDC. This had the USB socket in it as well that was great for cell phone and tablets charging.

My newer truck came with two or three different 12VDC plug in sockets to use....

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:11 AM   #7

I think I will look for something like Roy has for my MH. We just got back from Orlando stopped at Loves and picked a 3 way that plugs into the power point. Its one of those rigid types not like the ones with pigtail leads. It was so heavy it would vibrate out of the socket. My wife uses a 12 volt heating pad while we are traveling. I use a GPS and a phone always needs charging...Its amazing how dependent we have become on all this stuff!!

Hope all of you have a great holiday season. This is a very knowledgeable and friendly group of people and hopefully after some experience, I will be able to share my experiences as you all do.