Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #1

New Tow Vehicle will I still need WD Hitch

Hi guys,

Just have a quick question regarding my new tow vehicle. We own an X17Z which we were previously towing behind a 2010 Chrysler Town&Country Minivan. I know a lot of people recommend against that as its close to maxed out but it did well for us for the past two years with the WD hitch and sway bar.

That being said, I just purchased a 2014 Ram Quad Cab with the Hemi 5.7 so needless to say towing should be much easier and more relaxing. My question is whether or not I still need to run the WD hitch and swaybar or can I just hook the camper up with a regular hitch since I am far below the maximum tow capacity of the truck which is just over 10K lbs. Obviously if I didn't have to run the WD hitch it would make things much more simple when hooking up but if it would help safety wise I will just continue to use it.

Thanks in advance.
Cobra99Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:34 PM   #2

I would used the hd hitch with the hd ball, a regular ball is only rated for 2-5k pounds where most hd hitches are 10k plus. It depends on how far your going to tow and how fast your going to drive. Around town or only a few miles than I would not hook up the sway bars, but going on the highway at 65 I would hook everything up. An extra 5 minutes will make the pull a lot easier and safer. The camper is still going to sway back and forth with the truck, just the truck is going to handle it much better and you won't notice it as much.
TST 507 flow thru

Livinglife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, utilize the same WDH & sway bar from the prior TV (assuming it was sized correctly), although you will have to re-adjust the WDH to conform to the new TV suspension and height.

Using the WDH, even when the loaded tongue weight falls under the TV's receiver Weight Carrying limit, will still enhance TV handling of the trailer, especially in less then ideal towing conditions. A sway bar should be utilized under all towing conditions.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #4

Agreed, just keep using it. You'll probably need a new drop bar though.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:17 AM   #5

Like the good "Doc" hints. You should plan to re-set the hitch up since the receiver will probably be higher. We towed the 23B a couple of times with the F-350 before we got the 5th and WOW! did it tow nice. I kept using the WDH but like you I wondered if I needed it. I finally decided to keep using it since the TT could wag back an forth even tho the TV wouldn't care.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses guys. I will continue to use the WDH. I will be taking some time to set it back up this weekend.
Cobra99Dave is offline   Reply With Quote