Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #1

Sneaky Leak - Would love some more eyes on this one

A couple fellow Jayco Owners have the same exact issue on our new Seneca 37FS Class C RVs. This leak has presented itself under many conditions, but here are the primary conditions:
  • Leak comes through Bunkhouse slide
  • slide can be in our out
  • does not leak while driving, not blowing by seals
  • usually happens after 3-4 hours of steady, straigt down rain
  • can't repeat it with 5 minutes and a garden hose
  • pressure test that most repair facilities doesnt show much (everything is shows has been fixed)
  • is leaking "through" the body of the slide, not around it

Ours is currently in a repair facility up near the factory, and the factory warranty manager has been by to take a look at it too. I am not convinced we know the source yet. Please check out the following like for a detailed PDF of my observations last week.

Link to PDF on DropBox

Thank you all for your valuable time and knowledge.
-scott
flexdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #2

Wow, you have it really well documented and it seems like you have the attention of the folks who can fix it; well done. I'll bet that the problem and the solution is found soon.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #3

Scott, nice job on documenting the progress and issues found. My concern would be the water intrusion to the vacuum bonded side walls and the effects of water on the glued material resulting in de-lamination. You should press the factory to warranty ANY de-lamination issues for the life of the coach as the water damage may not surface for years down the road after the warranty expires.
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #4

Hi Scott,

We have a 2014 Seneca 37 FS that seems like it has the same problem. We first noticed a small amount of water on the floor at the front of the bunkhouse slideout when the slide was open. We are from Indiana but spend half the year in British Columbia where we are now (I couldn't get a service appointment in Indiana before we left) so I took it to a dealer here (it has a lot of other warranty issues too!) but they did the garden hose test and couldn't replicate the problem. Not only that but Jayco declined to pay for them to test it -- I had to pay the bill when I picked up the RV! As soon as we got it back to the house where we are staying, there was a thunderstorm and we had a complete flood inside -- with the slide closed. Now it appears to be leaking on both ends of the bunk slideout and quite a lot of water is coming in. I am planning to call Jayco today, but I am wondering if you have gotten yours fixed and if so, what the fix is (and what the diagnosis is!). I really appreciate all your documentation, and if you have an update, I would really like to know what you've found out.
Vrji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #5

WTH, Jayco? Leaks are big problems and "declining" to pay get it diagnosed gets my attention... In consideration for the next one.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #6

I have a deposit on a 37FS and we're picking it up next Saturday. From reading this I'm wondering if we should pick a different manufacturer. I'm seeing leak problems allover the internet on this model Seneca.
Shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #7

Leak Found and Fixed!

Sorry everyone for the long delay in giving the answer to our leak issue.

We have had many rainy nights in Michigan and ALL DRY inside!

The solution was on the bunk slide bottom trim.

The water was running down the outside wall of the slide and coming in the top of that large bottom piece of trim. It would get in behind there, and find its way into the camper underneath the slide room. It was very intermittent because of the angle of the camper, amount of rain in the sidewall, etc.

When the factory built it, the "T" molding was only screwed in from the bottom (see picture.) this caused the molding to flex and the top piece wa separating from the sidewall allowing the water in. The solution was to screw the face of the molding into the frame of the slide and then they also screwed the bottom (underside) again.

I don't like having those screws on the outside of my nice new Rig, but having a dry inside is worth it.

Besides having to do all of the driving and dropping off, Jayco took care of this completely and Bontrager RV Service was awesome too (Goshen, IN).
flexdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #8

Does anyone know if this leak problem fixed for 2015 Model. Picking one up Thursday. 37fs model - love the drive and power compared to my 2013 Fleetwood Bounder v10.
NORIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:14 PM   #9

I'm picking one up Friday (37FS). As soon as we get it home I'm taping off the seam and caulking it!
Shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:01 PM   #10

Did you ever get your leak fixed? If so what did they do?
Lipsb0ly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:12 PM   #11

They did the same fix to ours but we still got water in it when the slide was in. We are using it right now and just had a bunch of rain yesterday and all was dry. It seems to only leak when closed.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:13 PM   #12

Thanks, I assume they caulked all around and behind it as well.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:55 PM   #13

They caulked and but screws in to stop the movement of the flap, just like shown in the posted photos.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:01 PM   #14

Update

Once we sealed the outside molding piece at the bottom of the bunk slide. The problem was solved....