Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #1

First time to use trailer without water hookups - have questions

Going to to use the trailer next weekend without city water hookups for the first time. Will fill up my water tank before leaving home (only going 10 miles). I've only ever used the pump for winterizing... how do I use it for the sink and shower? Do I just flip the switch on and that's it? The pump will just come on as needed? I will have power... any issue using the hot water heater?

We won't be using much water inside, but the toilet will be used all weekend. I may not be able to flush the tanks until the following weekend (going to a campground Easter weekend). Is it ok for the tanks to have liquid in them for a week? I will use the necessary chemicals in the black tank, but I've always flushed them right after using for the weekend, so I don't know how this works.

Thanks for the help!
TexasA&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
Site Team

When you first turn on the pump open up a faucet to allow air to purge out of the system. Turn off faucet when only water comes out.The pump will also fill the hot water tank which will take 6 to 10 gallons depending on your tank size. After this the system will pressurize and the pump will stop running on its own, and not run again until you use water. So since it is an on demand pump, you just use a faucet or shower whenever you need it. I see no reason why leaving stuff in the waste tanks a week would be a problem. On edit if you winterized the trailer then you will have to turn the bypass valves by the water heater to fill the hot water tank with water. Otherwise it will just bypass it as with winterizing. -Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #3

That is what I was hoping to hear!!

Now, when I'm filling the freshwater tank, how do I know when it's full (other than the gauge)? When I go to drain it, do I just pull the low point drains?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #4

Fill her up till she runs out the overflow under the trailer. Also purge your lines and fill your H20 tank before you leave home, then top off your water tank, that way you carry maximun water with you.

Not sure your temps there but if warm, I suggest some odor control chemicals in your waste tanks to hold down the odor for the week.

If you need to conserve water may think about taking "navy showers" for the weekend.

No reason to drain the fresh water tank (unless you have weight problem) until you winterize this fall. We always leave some (1/3) water in our tank. Stop along the road and use potty etc and have flush water.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasA&M View Post
...When I go to drain it, do I just pull the low point drains?
No, do not pull the low point drains. There should be a separate valve somewhere on the water line that runs from the fresh water tank to the water pump. That's the one that drains the tank.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
Site Team

Actually the words "low point drain" are on the trailer above the fresh water tank valve on the Jayflights now. You open this valve to drain the tank, I do it whenever I`m done using the trailer for a few weeks. It is directly below the fresh water fill on my trailer. The other low point drains are in the back, below the outside shower. No need to open them up.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #7

I have two places on the frontside of the trailer that are labeled 'low point drain.' I have noticed that nothing ever comes out of them, so I assume these are for the tank. I have two other valves under my fridge that I pull to drain all of the plumbing (this is also how I drain the hot water heater... a lot easier than removing the plug on the actual heater. Just open the valves and open the pressure release on the water heater).

Good to know that there is an overflow valve of some kind underneath. I wasn't aware of that.

Also, good idea on leaving a little bit of water in the tank for use while on the road or while not hooked up. Hadn't thought of that!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #8

The tank drain is closest to the fill area. Don't forget to turn the pump off when traveling and at night. They loose pressure and power up when you are sleeping.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #9

Thanks for the tips. Any idea what the other outside 'low point drain' is for?
Old 04-09-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Actually the words "low point drain" are on the trailer above the fresh water tank valve on the Jayflights now. You open this valve to drain the tank, I do it whenever I`m done using the trailer for a few weeks. It is directly below the fresh water fill on my trailer. The other low point drains are in the back, below the outside shower. No need to open them up.
Yes, that's true and on my TT there are three outlets protruding from the bottom of the TT where the front low point drain is marked. They are:
  1. The water line drain
  2. The fresh water tank overflow
  3. The fresh water tank drain

However, unless you're winterizing, you only want to drain the tank; whether it be partially (for those who prefer to keep some water in the tank for traveling purposes) or fully (My preference). If you happen to open the water line drain, you're going to have to bleed the air out if the water lines and replace any water in the HWT that may have escaped when you opened the valve.

DISCLAIMER:
Unfortunately, the locations of valves, tanks, and the water pump vary among the makes and models of trailers. Therefore some of what is said here is not the Gospel and should be used only as a guideline. For example: My fresh water tank is in the front of my TT, but yours could be in the rear. All my valves are located inside my TT, but your trailer could have one or more valves that are only accessible from the outside. Keep this in mind unless you're talking "model specific".

Old 04-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #11

I have two sets of low point drains as well, I have two water tanks one for draining each tank. The other set are for draining the lines one for cold other for hot.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
No, do not pull the low point drains. There should be a separate valve somewhere on the water line that runs from the fresh water tank to the water pump. That's the one that drains the tank.
Are you talking about a valve under the trailer? We haven't used fresh water but once so newbie to us. I love these newbie questions, because we're still learning and they usually help us. Also, someone mentioned draining the HWH without pulling the zinc, or whatever it is. Can that be explained better? Hope it's okay to horn in this way.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #13

I drain the hot water heater using the low point drains. I have two valves under my fridge that drain the plumbing (I assume my outside valves are for the tank). When I open those to drain the line, I go around and open the pressure relief valve on the hot water heather. This allows the water in the HWH to drain back into the plumbing, and thus out of the drains. Much easier than pulling the plug (difficult to get a wrench or socket on mine).

I drain my lines at the end of each trip so that the water doesn't get musty in the HWH if the trailer sits for a couple of weeks.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #14

I'll use that tip.
'14 Denali XL
Old 04-10-2011, 05:13 AM   #15

The low point drains will not totally drain your water heater.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #16

They drain it just as much as the pulling the plug.... I tested it the first time I tried. I drained using the low points, and then went and pulled the plug. Nothing came out of the water heater. Maybe it's not the same on every model, but you can test it the same way I did to be sure.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk+ View Post
Are you talking about a valve under the trailer? We haven't used fresh water but once so newbie to us. I love these newbie questions, because we're still learning and they usually help us. ...
Sorry, I can't really tell you the location of the valve because I am not intimately familiar with the location of all the tanks, valves, water lines, waste lines and water pump on your rig. To find your fresh water tank's drain valve, I suggest you start by finding where the water line connects to the fresh water tank (it's going to be somewhere on one of the sides at the bottom of the tank or, possibly, even underneath the tank). Then try to follow the water line until you find the valve.

What might be even easier is to simply call or email Jayco. I prefer to email them as that way the response is in writing and there's nothing that will be forgotten ten minutes after you hang up the phone. Plus, you can print and file the response should you need to refer to it in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk+ View Post
...Also, someone mentioned draining the HWH without pulling the zinc, or whatever it is. Can that be explained better? Hope it's okay to horn in this way.
I believe what they're referring to is a "sacrificial anode"- a rod sometimes used in electric HWTs to help prevent corrosion of the tank by having the rod corrode instead. Hence the name- sacrificial.

To the best of my knowledge, I've only seen these used in Suburban HWTs. Atwood HWTs (which Jayco has historically used) don't use sacrificial anodes so there's nothing to be concerned about.

As for removing the drain plug on the HWT. On my 6 gal. Atwood DSI (and this is the only make/model I can vouch for although I believe all other Atwood 6 & 10 gallon HWTs are similar), I can easily remove the nylon plug using a 7/8" (I think) 6 point socket with a short extension. I only unscrew it until it can be turned by hand and then remove the socket. I discovered that if I try to unscrew it all the way with the socket, it eventually hits against one of the parts of the tank, thus prohibiting its removal.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #18

Thanks to all, and, FPM, our former Forest River had a sacrificial zinc, I call them from our boating days in salt water. I'll double check when we get the Jayco. Just finished my taxes and am nearly blind!
'14 Denali XL
Old 04-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #19
Site Team

I drain my tank as well by removing the plug with a socket and extension. No anodes in the Attwoods as FPM said.