Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #21

I'm not sure what an "unsanitary" cable is. Your system should work fine with a dedicated cable for the dish. To clarify a previous post, the 12V DC that the dish uses is supplied from the receiver via the coax, not through a separate 12V battery connection. The TV signal shares the coax with the 12V. It's common in equipment that deal with radio frequencies. I looked at the link that shows how to reconnect cables to the batwing amp and allow it to work, but it was just as easy to run a new cable.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #22

We have the 2010 Jayco G2-31RKS and hook up direct tv satellite to it all the time from the outside inlet and have no problems whatsoever. It works all the time, not half the time. We were going to get one of the new units that you set on the ground and it automatically acquires the satellite signal until we found out that it does not receive the high definition digital channels on direct tv. So, we are still setting up the oblong dish with the 3 lnbs on a surveyor's tripod to get high definition. The big dish definitely needs the large tripod for support.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #23

Satellite will work with either RG59 or RG6. The RG6 just has more insulation to sheild interference from out side source. If you have the dual LNB just hook up one of the cable to the dish out put and attach it to the side out your camper where the cable input is. If there is something behind the plate that is attemping to split the signal just get a male/male couple and hook the RG59 or RG6 behind the plate to the prewired trailer cable. It is true you cannot split a satellite signal you would need a multiswitch to accomidate that.
bgarv29BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarv29BHS View Post
Satellite will work with either RG59 or RG6. The RG6 just has more insulation to sheild interference from out side source. If you have the dual LNB just hook up one of the cable to the dish out put and attach it to the side out your camper where the cable input is. If there is something behind the plate that is attemping to split the signal just get a male/male couple and hook the RG59 or RG6 behind the plate to the prewired trailer cable. It is true you cannot split a satellite signal you would need a multiswitch to accomidate that.
RG6 is the cable of choice for satelitte, but not because of sheilding. The center conductor on RG6 is larger and gives less db signal loss. Every satellite person tech, installer, etc. that I have talked to said do not use RG59.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
I was told by the salesman that our 2011 is ready for satellite. I will find out for sure on Tuesday. If it isn't it will be.
I looked in a 2011 Jayco a few days ago. Looks like they have redesigned the TV connectors. I did not study real close, but they now have a jumper that you remove when you want to use Sat TV. I assume that by disconnecting it, you bypass the amp.

I am uploading a file I took of the main TV area of a 2011 26BH. It was also this way in the bedroom.

Attached Thumbnails
photo.jpg  
2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
RG6 is the cable of choice for satelitte, but not because of sheilding. The center conductor on RG6 is larger and gives less db signal loss. Every satellite person tech, installer, etc. that I have talked to said do not use RG59.
If you are running RG6 to the camper and you have a couple of feet of RG59 inside you might get it to work IF you are just trying to just watch standard def and IF you have a really good signal and IF you have VERY well done F-Connectors. If you are trying to watch HD or use a KA/KU dish, RG59 is not going to cut it.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #27

And to think we go camping to see the great outdoors and get away from everything! I can't help but laugh at all we go through just to see tv while we are out camping. I must be at the top of the list because I have direct tv and would not think of going camping without my satellite system. In my older 2001 model, I drilled through the outside skin all the way through the inside paneling and put up a second separate jack just for satellite next to my tv/cable jack. On my new 2010 model, it has separate outside jacks for cable and satellite. How considerate of them. lol I can only watch satellite on the main tv in the living area as the bedroom tv then only gets signal from the Batwing. I have just about got the wife turned on to football so she is coming around! lol

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #28

I understand that rg59 is not optimal for reducing signal loss etc. I do have a 50ft run of rg59 at my beach house for my 18" round direct tv to my 32" old tv and it works as excpected. Would I use prewired rg59 before drilling holes in my tv? Yes I would. I would at least test it out what do you have to lose. You dont mention if you are looking to setup a hi-def dish or if you have a hi-def tv. It like the sales guys who justifies that you need the $150 monster cables to make your tv looks its best. I doubt any of us can tell the difference between the $40 cable at walmart of the monster cable.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #29

That was supposed to read "before drilling holes in my TT". Oops!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarv29BHS View Post
Satellite will work with either RG59 or RG6.
HD will not work w/batwing, Direct or Dish with RG59. Commencing somewhere around 2003 range, most RV manufacturers quit using RG59 on better units. My 04 Designer has all RG6. Wal-Mart doesn't even sell RG59 anymore.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #31

He never said HD satellite was what he was trying to run. Monster doesn't make any coax cable. I was referring to HDMI, Component, optical audio cables that are overpriced and hyped to maintain 100% of signals and that A/V guys try to sell you after selling you a $2,000 plasma that they cant markup because you would just buy it online.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #32

Again I am just trying to pass along to the OP that I would test the RG59 that is already run to see if he can get a signal and he is happy with it. I would bet many people that have RG6 run throughout their house unknowingly run a RG59 female/female patch cable from the wall plate to the back of their reciever. A connection is only as good as it weakest link.

DBS Install Guide post:The signal traveling through the cable from the satellite dish to the receiver is very deferent then a standard TV signal used by the cable companies or what you would receive with a roof top antenna. Every manufacture calls for RG-6 cable to be used during the installation. RG-59 is said to simply not work. That is not true.
While no install technician stocks or would install new RG-59 coax cable, it is not a sin to use existing RG-59 during a installation. Not all RG-59 can be used for a satellite dish installation, but there is good RG-59 that can be used just fine and really low quality RG-59 cable that should not be used. Your satellite technician knows what can and cannot be used.
You will not be able to use as long of a cable run as you could using all RG-6, but if the cable has no kinks, twist or other deformity it should work just fine.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #33

Agreed. While the measurable signal loss may be more with RG59, that doesn't mean it won't work. It depends a lot on the quality of the cable and the cable run length. Obviously for the longer runs you may need to use in the campgrounds, RG6 is prefered because of the lower signal loss. Also, inserting short sections of RG59 in the cable system like for jumpers, etc, is not an issue since using the proper connectors will not result in an impedance mismatch, which is where you would get significant signal loss.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 02-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #34

Just to post my final thread on this topic in an effort to help. I have a Direct TV 5 LNB dish on the roof of my house. I have 30ft of RG6 to a 4 X 8 TERK multi switch in my basement. I have 8 tv's running off that switch. 2 of those tv's are 1080P HD Panasonic plasma tv's with Direct TV HD recievers. The 42" plasma is connected to the TERK switch with a 25ft run of RG59. The 58" plasma is connected to the TERK switch with a 30ft run of RG6. The picture on both tv's is phenominal with HD programming and all other programming.

Bob did you ever get to test your setup out? Good luck!
Old 05-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #35

I will be very interested in your solution to this as I have been told that you can connect your dish to the cable jack on the curb side of the TT.....However my last campsite had cable and I hooked up to that and I got a fuzzy picture......So I bypassed that connector and ran a cable thru the window to check.....Great picture...So i guess the cable is bad or I don't know what I am doing...I had a rooftop sat dish on my MH and it worked great....Some times the view is blocked and a portable dish is needed.Some say turn off the amp which I did....No change
safari97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:17 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcconawa View Post
HD will not work w/batwing, Direct or Dish with RG59. Commencing somewhere around 2003 range, most RV manufacturers quit using RG59 on better units. My 04 Designer has all RG6. Wal-Mart doesn't even sell RG59 anymore.
I get HD signals through my batwing very well with the sixteen year old RG-59 installed at the factory. All of the satellite cables I installed myself, and they are all RG-6.

Richard and Laura Ray
Amateur Radio W4RLR
"The Green Goblin" 2008 F-250 Lariat CC SB, 6.4 liter automatic, 4x4"Love Shack" 1995 Jayco Eagle 277 RBSS fifth-wheel
rray32539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:51 AM   #37

Hello,

Regarding the new 2011 Jayco G2's. I can confirm in our 32BHDS, the wiring inside at the trailer has two plates for TV hookups. First plate is the Batwing port with amp (& 12v port). Then there is a separate plate that has two coax hookups (comes factory with a small jumper between the two). The plate says if using satelite remove jumper and hook sat receiver to port A. If using cable, unplug jumper and connect TV to port B. (Edit: Running SD sat only - I don't have an HD dish/box for the trailer. Also using DirecTV.)

At the outsite hookup, there is only one port which says "sat/Cable hookup".

I ran satelite this weekend and it worked perfectly. Not sure what the jumper does, but wanted to pass that along for the discussion on the new 2011 G2 setup. (FWIW)

Regards,
Mike
heppdj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:51 PM   #38

On my 2010 22FB where does the bedroom TV connector jack originate from? Is it routed from behind the Radio cabinet where the other connector jack/antenna amp switch is located, or is it split somewhere before that on the same side of the trailer where the outside connector is?

I have a TV mounted on the wall by the radio and use the roof antenna/amplifier or input from a DVD player mounted on the shelf by the radio. I was just wondering, what my connection options are if I ever add a small TV in the bedroom.

Does anyone have a cable routing diagram that includes the antenna and amplifier/switch?

This is what I can figure out so far...

2010 Jay Flight 22FB
2011 Ford F250 KR CC 4x4 PSD
22FB2010Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #39

Tim - Some of this changed I know in the new models (ones that have the pig tails for Sat TV)..so hopefully this covers yours. There should be no rewiring to watch the TV in the bedroom.

If you look behind the amp switch plate, there are 3 connectors - from left to right looking from the back --

-Left is the antenna down lead
-Middle is the input from outside
-Right goes back to the TV in the bedroom

The way it works is you press the button and the red light comes one and you have an amplified signal at both television jacks. If you want to hook external cable up, you just turn off the amp and the outside signal will pass to both jacks.

Hope that helps!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #40

Thanks for clearing that up. It's much simpler than I thought. I combined your info into the diagram and hopefully it'll help others.

So, back to the OP issue, He could have pulled the wall plate and connected directly to the outside cable source.

Even when the switch is off, the signal from the outside source is still split and sent to the bedroom TV jack. I'm sure some Satellite systems are less sensitive than others, as some people have gotten it to work.

And as stated the newer RVs have more satellite friendly hookups.

2010 Jay Flight 22FB
2011 Ford F250 KR CC 4x4 PSD
22FB2010Tim is offline   Reply With Quote