Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #1

Frozen Pipe

So I winterized as normal. Today when I came home I seen some pink snow under the TT so upon investigation I found what is in the pics. It looks like I never got all the water out or there was a little in the city hose connection. and it is pushing some anti-freeze out.

What is the best way to solve this? Just wait until the spring and access the damage if any? or take a hair dryer to it and let it drain in to the grey or out the hose connection?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150122_171955.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	16515

Name:	20150122_171949.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	16516

Name:	20150122_171657.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	16517
Huntsvillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:06 PM   #2

if it were me I would attack the problem now before it does more damage. It looks like this is inside the trailer, I would turn the furnace on, get it good and warm inside so you can work on it. Take a hairdryer and thaw it out, drain everything blow it out with air and let it sit for the rest of the winter.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #3

Looks like the check valve had water in it. Did you force the pink in from the city inlet during winterizing?

Or did you use the three-way and suck pink straight into the pump, bypassing the city inlet?
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:58 PM   #4

I always blow mine out with air prior to winterizing. This would prevent water from staying in the check valve
Old 01-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #5

It's a pretty easy repair. It's PEX, so use shark bite fittings from HD or Lowes or who ever. It's just cut and push on.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
I always blow mine out with air prior to winterizing. This would prevent water from staying in the check valve
x2
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:42 PM   #7

I used the pump to fill the pipes and bypassed the inlet. This is the third year I have done it and this is the first time I have had this.

How do you use the compressed air? Do you just open the valves and blow it in inlet and out the taps?
Old 01-25-2015, 09:46 PM   #8

Would it be safe to assume that the whole pipe is frozen and has pushed the anti-freeze out at the weakest joint? Assuming that it is best to check all fittings that are joined on to this pipe?
Old 01-25-2015, 10:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillian View Post
I used the pump to fill the pipes and bypassed the inlet. This is the third year I have done it and this is the first time I have had this.

How do you use the compressed air? Do you just open the valves and blow it in inlet and out the taps?
Next time you winterize, do it just as you did this past year. Once you get the pipes pressurized with antifreeze, then go outside the TT and take the filter screen off of your city water inlet. . There is a little backflow valve in there. Just stand to the side and push it in with your finger. The pressure in the lines will expel the water and the pink stuff will then come flying out. (This is why you need to stand to the side, or you too will be pink) Bingo! You have now winterized your city water pipe.

To use compressed air to flush water out of your pipes, you need to buy a small fitting that screws onto your City Water inlet. Walmart has these for about $2 It has a small nipple on the end that you can just attach your compressed air hose onto. Open one faucet and don't forget your low point drains and outside shower. However, do not use very high pressure, make sure it is only around 40 lbs or so as you don't want to ruin your pipe joints.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:19 PM   #10

I have someone in the inside of the camper, have them open the kitchen faucet and then the bathroom, once the kitchen is not spitting water any longer close that faucet, once the bathroom is done close it off, then do the outside shower if you have one.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:02 AM   #11

Buy this or something similar depending on your compressor hose connection style(there are different types)
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:39 AM   #12

Next time you winterize, do it just as you did this past year. Once you get the pipes pressurized with antifreeze, then go outside the TT and take the filter screen off of your city water inlet. . There is a little backflow valve in there. Just stand to the side and push it in with your finger. The pressure in the lines will expel the water and the pink stuff will then come flying out. (This is why you need to stand to the side, or you too will be pink) Bingo! You have now winterized your city water pipe.

I did this on my last two units and for some reason, the back flow valve did not want to depress by pushing on it. I forced it and broke it, on both units. Had to replace the city water inlet two times. On the 5th wheeler the city water inlet is inside the storage area so hopefully, I am not going to do that again!. If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post

I did this on my last two units and for some reason, the back flow valve did not want to depress by pushing on it. I forced it and broke it, on both units. Had to replace the city water inlet two times. On the 5th wheeler the city water inlet is inside the storage area so hopefully, I am not going to do that again!. If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all!
Funny, I thought that first paragraph sounded familiar to me.
Remember, there is a "quote" feature available on the forum, so other people's postings don't get misinterpreted as your own.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
When winterizing the city water connection, you need to bleed off most of the pressure from the water pump. If you don't do this, you can un-seat the O-ring inside the connection. If this happens and it doesn't seal, just take it apart and reseat the O-ring. No need to buy a new one.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:31 PM   #15

I have a much easier way to winterize ....I moved to Arizona, cloudy cold 61 today But it is interesting to read your trials and tribulations ! LOL

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:38 PM   #16

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
When winterizing the city water connection, you need to bleed off most of the pressure from the water pump. If you don't do this, you can un-seat the O-ring inside the connection. If this happens and it doesn't seal, just take it apart and reseat the O-ring. No need to buy a new one.
Same newbie mistake....too much pressure and O-ring needs to be reset. Dealer told me to make the city water connection the last step in winterizing. Turn off pump.....go outside and push in on valve....yell at your wife to turn pump on....stand aside.....done. I didn't fix mine yet.....just bought a plastic screw on cap and put that on the city water inlet when starting the winderizing procedure.

On Permanent site at Gillies Lake, Bruce Peninsula
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote