Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #21

We have done the crockpot thing once and we really need to do it again. It is a great way to make a meal. I am going to sort of hijack my own thread and post these links my wife found.. There were some pretty darned yummy looking camp recipes here.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/camping-recipes

http://www.buzzfeed.com/melissaharri...ipes%232vkl3w0

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #22

I do the majority of the cooking while camping and I have to say that I have used my oven less than 10 X's. The few times I did was for similar ideas like cookies, biscuits, cinnamon rolls or heating of some frozen products. The DW uses it a more than me.

I did once make a lasagna which came out pretty good. It gets too hot in the summer, even the pilot light throws too much heat for my liking. Grill, Dutch oven, Coleman propane crock pot and camp chef pizza oven are my tools of choice when it comes to food.

Everyone seems to have a different breakfast choice besides pancakes in my family so I am usually simple at that time of day, but I would google a sheet pan french toast caserole for anyone who wants to warm up the unit on a cold morning while a pot is brewing. It's easy to make and the best part is no clean up if you get a half sheet disposable pan. Same for lasagna.

Also if you want to keep weight down a 1/4 sheet pan upside down centered works the same for heat deflection as the stones. Rest it right on the deflection tray in the oven just above the burner. No more burnt cookie bottoms.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post

Also if you want to keep weight down a 1/4 sheet pan upside down centered works the same for heat deflection as the stones. Rest it right on the deflection tray in the oven just above the burner. No more burnt cookie bottoms.
I'm gonna have to try that at home. Burnt cookie bottoms are a pet peeve of mine.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #24
Lost in the Woods

We use our RV oven just like we do the oven at home. Except it is smaller, I really can't tell much difference. I cook a Prime Rib in our RV oven every Xmas and it comes out just as good as if I had cooked it at home.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvangil View Post
true...but wood tastes better...
xxxx22222

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvangil View Post
True...But wood tastes better...
I agree!
And I totally disagree with the statement that propane is cheaper. I cut my own wood. I have to buy propane.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
I agree!
And I totally disagree with the statement that propane is cheaper. I cut my own wood. I have to buy propane.
Unfortunately a lot of us live in places where transporting wood is a no-no. Can't move it more than 25 miles in WI. I used to bring a lot of my wood from home before the bans. However in most places we go, there is usually someone selling wood at the side of the road far cheaper than the campground sells it. The cost of a fire is just part of the trip for us, like the cost of gas. It is what it is.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #28

We specifically looked for a unit with an oven. Our old motor home had one and it's great for garlic bread on pasta night, apple turnovers for a warm snack on a cooler day and pizza, lasagna, or casseroles are a great pre-make at home then cook in the oven with minimal dishes to do after dinner. My wife appreciates that as I cook and she cleans up.
We do a lot of outdoor cooking over the fire; burgers, smokies, kabobs, fresh trout and such too but around here it tends to get dry and there are fire bans through much of the camping season. That's when the bbq gets a workout.
Our TT is the first time we've had a microwave but we mostly boondock it so firing up the genny to heat a cup of coffee seems a little over the top. Once the carafe is empty from the morning pot I have to find other beverages or make another pot o' Joe.
Mach1tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:27 PM   #29

Using the inside oven I experimented on this weekend's boondock to the beach - baked scones and they were good. Used parchment paper but had to cook them a bit longer than planned to get them overall golden, then the bottom got a bit too brown (easily cut-off). Would do again ...

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:17 PM   #30

Follows is a great recipe for your RV oven
Breakfast Casserole: Serves 8
One dozen eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 - 16oz package/roll of refrigerated flaky biscuit dough (e.g., Pillsbury flaky biscuit roll) cut into quarters
1-1/2 cup grated cheese (sharp cheddar)
4 sliced green onions
6-8 slices of bacon cooked/drained in 1" pieces (sausages also work well)
You may wish to add additional items (e.g., chopped chilies, mushrooms)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2) Beat eggs and milk
3) Fold in the rest of the ingredients (make sure the biscuit pieces are coated)
4) Pour into a lightly-greased 9x12 casserole
5) Bake for 25-30 minutes

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:30 PM   #31

Sounds great for our RV club campouts. Thanks.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:08 AM   #32

Can I ask about the pizza stone in the oven to even out heat? Our new trailer is at the dealer for warranty work so I can't see in the oven right now. Do I place it on the bottom? Any suggestions as to where to buy a reasonable one?
DeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:27 AM   #33

We use ours periodically, kids like pancake bits. Make pancake batter as usual. Pour into greased muffin pan, add berries to liking, maybe a little chocolate chips, bake 350-375 about 15 minutes. Note, the batter does not brown. Easy and fairly clean on a rainny/stormy morning.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #34

I have never had any luck even lighting the pilot in my oven. Just doesn't seem like a good idea to stick your head in an oven, turn on gas, light match wait for ignition.
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:47 PM   #35

An air bake cookie pan on lower shelf also helps evenly distribute the heat,and is lighter and is not breakable
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:04 PM   #36

I've not read all the thread so I may have missed the use I used to make of my oven when I had one in a previous rig. For those of us who use our RV's in cold country, especially when fishing/hunting - I'd put a foil-wrapped, pre-seasoned beef or pork roast in an aluminum roasting pan in the oven, set oven at @ 250, go away fishing or hunting for 4 - 6 hours and return to a warm, wonderfully smelling environment. And, for the most part, dinner was ready.
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:23 PM   #37

Despite its shortcomings, an oven was a mandatory feature when we were shopping for a TT. Our popup didn't have one, but my brother-in-law's does, and it was used for just about every meal, if not for cooking something then for reheating something that was precooked at home.

As far as campfire cooking, for me, it looks more fun than it actually is. I didn't buy a $20,000 TT so that I can still cook like we did in Scouts. We are very lacking in hardwood in the west, mostly just fast burning pine, which isn't the best heat source for cooking. And too often there are burn restrictions in the Rocky Mountain region that prohibit open fires of any kind. There are areas which will at times even prohibit charcoal grills.

I'll use a campfire when it's allowed for ambiance, and for s'mores and weenie roasts, maybe toss a couple of foil wrapped potatoes in the coals to bake. Anything more complex than that goes on the grill or stove.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote