Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2014, 07:33 PM   #1

Electric brakes

After driving about 380 miles in a lot of traffic (took about ten hours) brake starting getting very grabby. Brakes would stay on after a complete stop. Let off brake pedal felt trailer brake release. When we were able to have alittle open road, it was okay then started again. At one point a wheel stayed locked for a few feet. After that, I backed off gain on brake controller And it was better. Still did it some. Never was in traffic so bad so long with trailer. Have driven long distance with no traffic and not had any issues. Seem normal? Just too much heat? Too much gain of controller? Thoughts?

Thanks!
ridge19h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #2

A freind of mine had similar situation on the way to alabama he backed off on the gain of the controller and let cool down seemed to be ok after that
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #3

I had this situation three years ago. Was very bad and annoying. Never did figure it out during the trip. Then one time while driving at night without a trailer, I noticed my brake lights stayed on for a couple seconds after I released the brake pedal. It was on an 06 dodge cummins. Did some studying and finally figured out that the brakes relied on the power steering system for booster operation and when the power steering fluid got old, the system would slowly return the brake pedal. Drained and flushed the power steering system and filled with fresh fluid and the problem went away.

Hopefully this helps. You might back up close to something and watch your brake light reaction on your TV. This will at least help eliminate your tow rig from the equation.
Tgallagher is offline   Reply With Quote