Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2014, 06:57 AM   #21

How do you go about blowing out the lines? I have seen a screw on adapter to the city water for your air hose to connect similar to a tire valve. I plan to do that then suck the pink stuff with the winterizing hose on the pump. I like to have a piece of mind
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:01 AM   #22
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post
How do you go about blowing out the lines? I have seen a screw on adapter to the city water for your air hose to connect similar to a tire valve.

dial compressor back to 35-45 PSI. Open up all your faucets. Step on your toilet flusher. Don't forget the outside shower.
I don't like the air hose type. Need 2 people to do it IMO.
the quick connect type are better
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #23

A step that is missed by many (according to a warning from my dealers serviceman) is people will pressurize the system with pink and forget to tap the spring loaded valve on the city water connection. He told me they've replaced many a city water connection from poor winterized jobs. FYI - I both clear the lines with air and use the pink stuff through out.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #24

I'm comfortable with the blowout the lines and pink in the traps after draining the Hwater tank. Remember the outside shower. Never any issues in over 15 years.

Went we left for our trip to the Gulf last Jan it was -5 and had been below zero every nite for a week. High was still in single digits during the day. Empty winterized status until we got to Miss. and then filled the tank and flushed some fresh water thru the system. All good to go. On return in early March met ol man winter again in northern Ala with temps again heading down to the teens. Stopped in a Wally World south of Huntsville and hooked up the 12V compressor and in 10 minutes [including the time to find the compressor in the storage] I was winterized. I've installed a petcock type drain on the water heater so after doing the buy pass it drained while I was blowing the lines. Got home and double checked everything and shut things down until Spring sprung.

Just don't like the pink stuff in the fresh water lines. Leaves a residual taste even after a couple flushes in the Spring. Seems like they could make this stuff so it didn't leave a smell or taste.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltDog View Post
Just did mine for the first time. Used antifreeze without blowing the lines. It seems to me like an unnecessary step, since the water is displaced by the antifreze anyways. jMO.
My friend discovered a cracked valve on the outside shower of his 26BH this spring and we suspect it was from a freeze/thaw cycle. He winterized it with just antifreeze where I blow out the lines before adding antifreeze.

I would also think that the antifreeze would displace all the water when winterizing but why do you see antifreeze coming out of lines after several uses of the faucets after you de-winterize?
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #26
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
My friend discovered a cracked valve on the outside shower of his 26BH this spring and we suspect it was from a freeze/thaw cycle. He winterized it with just antifreeze where I blow out the lines before adding antifreeze.

I would also think that the antifreeze would displace all the water when winterizing but why do you see antifreeze coming out of lines after several uses of the faucets after you de-winterize?
I said above. It wouldn't displace water it would mix with it.

It wouldn't take very much pink antifreeze to turn clear water pink. maybe you assume it is all antifreeze but it is likely mostly water
Old 09-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
dial compressor back to 35-45 PSI. Open up all your faucets. Step on your toilet flusher. Don't forget the outside shower.
I don't like the air hose type. Need 2 people to do it IMO.
the quick connect type are better
I made a homemade valve similar to the one shown here, out of scrap items. I have a valve on mine so I can stop it the flow of air at anytime, let the compressor recharge, and so forth. I set my air regulator around 20-25 psi. Now the question is? Where did I put it when we moved? I also use it to blow out the drip irrigation at the house.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I made a homemade valve similar to the one shown here, out of scrap items. I have a valve on mine so I can stop it the flow of air at anytime, let the compressor recharge, and so forth. I set my air regulator around 20-25 psi. Now the question is? Where did I put it when we moved? I also use it to blow out the drip irrigation at the house.
Where can you buy one of these?
Old 09-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #29

Well, it can get to -40'C (extreme) where I live. I blow all the lines out, completely, then I pump the plumbing antifreeze through all the lines, and make sure there is some in all drain traps.
It took awhile to clear everything out in the spring, but I bet fixing a plumbing leak would take longer.
I winterize an inground pool and a bathroom out in the pool house. I read on the antifreeze bottles that you must remove all water or there is a risk of freezing, even if the antifreeze is present. I take this pretty much to heart!
2008 Pilot: she gave me 500 000 KM, and became a parts' donor
PoohbearT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #30

Found one ebay $8.69 free shipping on its way
Old 09-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #31
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post
Where can you buy one of these?
if you are referring to the image I posted it is a camco part. I got mine at Canadian tire for 5 bucks. Anywheres camco things are sold...perhaps walmart or deinitely amazon
Old 09-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
if you are referring to the image I posted it is a camco part. I got mine at Canadian tire for 5 bucks. Anywheres camco things are sold...perhaps walmart or deinitely amazon
I have not seen them at Walmart.

You can get all the parts at Home Depot, Menards like stores, to make one. The individual parts to make it, definitely cost more than to buy it already made. But I have a shutoff valve which the factory made ones do not.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 09-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #33

I am planning on doing both (air blowout and antifreeze) this year. My previous TT (R-Vision Trail Lite) had a connection for an air compressor line. My White Hawk does not seem to have it. How do I do an air blowout on a White Hawk?
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #34
Lost in the Woods

You can buy an inexpensive adapter at most RV dealers or Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Camco-36143-Br...o+blowout+plug They also make a cheap plastic one. I have both and they both work the same.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
You can buy an inexpensive adapter at most RV dealers or Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Camco-36143-Br...o+blowout+plug They also make a cheap plastic one. I have both and they both work the same.
I have the cheap plastic one and I hate it. I'm going to get the quick connect one this season. That way I can just set the pressure on my compressor, hook up the hose and move around the trailer opening all my valves to get all the water out instead of having to hold the air hose on and have DW flipping faucets...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by redenbacher View Post
I am planning on doing both (air blowout and antifreeze) this year. My previous TT (R-Vision Trail Lite) had a connection for an air compressor line. My White Hawk does not seem to have it. How do I do an air blowout on a White Hawk?
Redenbacher; it is fairly easy to do. Just screw on the adaptor shown in the pictures to the city water connection. Make sure the pressure regulator is set to a low pressure. Then connect your air compressor hose to it. Wala, you are pushing air through your water pipes.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 09-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #37

I used to use antifreeze, now I blow out the lines and fill the traps with anti freeze. Mind you I no longer have a fresh water tank nor a pump in my trailer so filling the lines with antifreeze is difficult.
I also use that $5 fitting from Camco to screw into the city water connection.
232,500 kms in 2013
200,000 kms in 2014
160,000 kms in 2015
greenenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:47 AM   #38

Do you guys pour antifreeze into your fresh water tank? Or just pull through the winterizing hose on your pump?
Old 09-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
What about the water line going from the fresh tank into the pump? I know the valve gets shut off on that line so the syphon line can suck antifreeze but would there be a bit of water left behind that? Or would gravity cause it to fall back into the fresh tank?
I am curious about this also. Anybody have an idea?
The line was a lot easier to access on my old camper and I would just unhook and drain it. It is in quite a tight spot on the 19H.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #40

Just blew out my water lines and it was a breeze. I will be using anti freeze as well but will wait till after I get my new sink installed before I do the final winterizing. I bought my brass blow out plug from Amazon and I think it was around $5 with shipping.