Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #1

disable tv antenna for second tv

hi. I have a 2006 eagle summitt travel trailor. I want to get time warner internet service hooked up. I currently watch tv from my antenna and when the antenna is on is powers both tvs (one in the living room and the receptable for tv in the bedroom). Is there a way I can disable the antenna in the bedroom and use that for a cable internet connection? There is outside coaxial cable hookup that I think I can use for cable internet. Please help I am confused. Time warner said I had to put in a new coaxial cable for internet. thanks
carolsue99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Can you post a picture of your inside antenna hookup.
Most just turn the antenna amp off for cable and use the same Jack to feed the cable from outside.
Mine also has a coax jumper that can be removed to use satellite input.
At least that is the way mine is cabled.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #3

cable

hi. I will take a picture tomorrow. What I am trying to accomplish is use the outside hookup for cable internet and hook up the modem in the bedroom and then use the antenna hookup in the living room for the tv. I think the problem lies is when I turn on the power antenna it also powers the receptacle in the bedroom thus making the internet hookup outside unavailable. If I dont turn on the power antenna I can use the hookup in the bedroom for internet but then my tv in the living room is crappy. hope that all made sense.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
Site Team

I am no expert but there are many on here. I think the picture of what you have will help in any case. I think it can be done without running anymore cable. Hope someone will jump in with an idea.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:19 AM   #5

Your TIME WARNER CABLE INTERNET comment confused me. How does this work with your RV trailer when you are on the road...

I use the outside RV CABLE TV connections when at camp ground with CABLE TV.. I use the OTA BATWING antenna to pick up the NATL BROADCAST TV signals from the local towns when we are not at a camp ground using CABLE TV hookups.

I use two RG cables I ran from my portable SAT TV DISH to feed a SAT RCVR at each main TV and Bedroom TV. Then I run VIDEO cables from the SAT RCVR to the TV sets to watch standard mode SAT TV.

I use a VERIZON MIFI 2200 subscription for my Internet which gives me a monthly 3GB DATAPLAN for up to five WIFI enabled devices we have with us when on the road. The MIFI unit works just like a Verizon CELL PHONE and connects to the Internet through Verizon. Verizon is the best carrier to give us cell phone connections all over the US.

3GB Dataplan just barely allows us to check our emails, keep in touch with the kids on social media, pay some bills, and do a small amount of surfing the internet. We do not do any downstreaming of TV shows or Movies with the 3GB dataplan. You will need at least a 20GB to start thinking about downstreaming things. One Movie will eat up 1GB or more real quick.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #6

To directly answer the question, yes and it's easy and very inexpensive. You need to buy a coax connector to connect the external cable input to the second TV feed. Remove the powered antenna plate and find the external cable wire. Disconnect it. Then find the secondary TV connector and disconnect that. Connect the two disconnected wires together and you have now bypassed the powered TV antenna and connected the external Cable input to the secondary TV jack (and any others which may be installed in your camper.
Click image for larger version

Name:	sensarconnection.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	16053

This is not the way I would do it, but it will do exactly what you are asking. I would either add another external jack just for this purpose, or add the Satellite cable setup found in many of the newer campers and connect the cable modem that way. Be happy to provide more details if you're interested.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #7

internet cable

so this is what my tv hookup looks like. like I said earlier I want to use the external hookup for time warner internet cable. Currently I cant do this because it is in use for my tv power antenna.

So in your post are you saying take the middle cable and hook it to the tv 2 hook up?

thanks for all your help
Attached Thumbnails
img260.jpg  
Old 11-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #8

thanks I guess I didnt need to post pictures your explanation was superb! I will try that
Old 11-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #9

Just be cautious when working around the center F connector and the +12VDC Spade Lug. This lug will be active and if it gets shorted out when using the F-connector wrench it will blow a fuse.

You will also need to pick up a F-CONNECTOR double female BARREL from WALMART or Radio Shack. This is needed to connect the two F-connectors together.

Looks like this

I usually have a few of these in my RV tool box. They come in handy alot...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable internet, internet connection