Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #1

Delamination or defect? Jayco doing the work :)

We have a 2013 Eagle HT 23.5 and the warranty was running out in July this summer. Last year, I asked about some type of defect on the rear, looking like delamination but was told no, it was just the way some trailers end up. I didn't think much of it but this summer, I also noticed bubbles on the bottom right of the exterior shower. I showed it to the dealership and they told me that was not delamination but a defect in the fiberglass. I told him I was concerned it would get worst because it wasn't there the year before. We also had a bunch of ants (which we dealt with) in that same area.
Got an email today and Jayco approved to change the whole back wall under warranty now I wonder, was it delamination? if Jayco agreed to do this then it must be bad. Regardless,we are super happy and will definitely purchase Jayco again!!!!!
Question, the shop wants to do the work this winter so it's ready for camping season, how difficult is changing the back wall? should we worry about leakage later? how do they seal it all again?
want to post pic but on ipad now and no pic, will do next time on the computer
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #2

Was just fixing to ask for a picture and read the last line. Really not a big deal changing a wall out, especially the back wall. I haven't seen it done on a Jayco, but have seen whole side wall on a fifth wheel changed. Scary how easy things come apart. I think you'll be in good or better shape, and I'm glad to hear they're taking care of it. I wouldn't worry.

I hesitated buying a fiberglass sided unit just for this reason, and against my gut feeling, bought it anyway for a few features I wanted. Hoping I don't have any issues. I've never had delam on any of our past rigs, so hoping this one is no different.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #3

not my pic but looks just like this:
Old 11-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I hesitated buying a fiberglass sided unit just for this reason, and against my gut feeling, bought it anyway for a few features I wanted. Hoping I don't have any issues. I've never had delam on any of our past rigs, so hoping this one is no different.
Not sure this will make you feel any better, but we have this 5th wheel winterized, the bearings lubed, breaks checked, even rotate tires front to back.
Also, get them to check the caulking, and clean and conditon the roof. It's not cheap but we have proof of the maintenance done. So if this is delamination, how could this happen when everything is caulked properly I wonder.
So thankful Jayco is going to get it repaired replaced for us
Old 11-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #5

Also remember, delam happens from water leakage. The fact that stick and tin doesn't get delam doesn't indicate a water tight RV. Just sayin'
Old 11-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #6

The very reason we spent several weeks, sometimes a month prepping a brand new unit before we use them. Ours hasn't been out of the garage yet, and won't be for a while. Very LONG list of redos and fixit items. Mainly, just to satisfy me. Lots of resealing, resetting all 9 windows, plus the EM system, a scad of plumbing mods, some wood work etc etc. We do the same crap to every trailer, and it takes a while, but gives us the peace of mind. Maybe the reason we've had good luck with no delam or leaks, is due to our attention to details in the beginning.

Guess my deal with the fiberglass vs. aluminum, is I can completely rebuild / fix an aluminum sided trailer in my shop, and anything else that goes wrong with it. With a laminated wall, I'm at the mercy of somebody else. Guess I took a leap of faith again.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #7

I don't have any experience with FG RV delam, but was in the boatbuilding industry years ago, and that looks like blistering due to bad FG layup (IE..excessive heat in the resin)...it happens. Just my 2 cents.

2006 Chev Silverado Z-71 5.3L H.O. w/ Trailer Pkg

Tekonsha Primus IQ Controller
Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #8

That's what the guy at the dealer told me. Then he called me back saying Jayco will change the whole back wall instead of repairing...cheaper.
The thing is, even if it's bad FG layup, that wasn't there before and it seems to be getting worst, would that keep spreading?
Old 11-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #9

Yes, in my experience with FG boat hulls, blistering will just continue. The whole panel is probably affected, it just isn't visible yet. That's probably why Jayco wants to R & R the whole thing.

2006 Chev Silverado Z-71 5.3L H.O. w/ Trailer Pkg

Tekonsha Primus IQ Controller
Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #10

Well, I am very thankful that Jayco will honor the warranty and get the job done
This is what creates returning custommers and repeat buyers
Old 11-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubou View Post
Well, I am very thankful that Jayco will honor the warranty and get the job done
This is what creates returning customers and repeat buyers
Indeed
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubou View Post
Also remember, delam happens from water leakage. The fact that stick and tin doesn't get delam doesn't indicate a water tight RV. Just sayin'
Your right, but with my stick and tin if water leakage causes any damage, I can fix it myself, without costing me a arm and a leg.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:46 AM   #13

I work with fiberglass every day on old corvettes and you would be amazed at how many people do it wrong. The biggest misunderstanding is that the more resin the better and that is a big mistake. The resin is just a carrier to bond the glass mat together and the resin in and of itself has no structural integrity and tends to shrink and swell in the sun. I try to draw as much resin back out of the mat as possible once I get it wet and I have had real good results with really expensive cars that people look hard at. Another issue is timing on application of the glass to the gelcoat which is put down first. The walls are actually layed up from the outside in. If the gelcoat is allowed to dry too long before the glass is applied then sometimes the bond isn't as good as it should be. All that said I am sure these are built in factory with standards and machinery that keeps all these things timed and hardened to a specific set to standards. One thing people do need to understand is that fiberglass is a layered system and moisture can get between layers if there is a water leak and also if there is a defective bond between any of the layers an air pocket will form over time and cause the look in your picture. Hope this at least helps understanding what your dealing with.
Attached Thumbnails
59 wreck 001.jpg   59 corvette home.jpg  
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:14 PM   #14

Our Jayco had a wall that delaminated. It was apparently due to improper layup at the factory. Jayco covered replacing the entire curbside wall at our local dealer. It looks fine now.

I am so glad for the 2 year warranty since the problem did not show up until partway through our second year of ownership.
2011 Jayco JayFeather Select 28U
Equal-i-zer 1400/14000
Rotochocks
owenssailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:47 PM   #15

So the wall was replaced this winter. Dewinterized today and checked for leaks. All looked good until I took one more look inside the closet where the main city water comes in and I found it leaked. Sigh. Lucky I saw that before causing damage. Back to the dealer for them to fix this. Also, never had trouble with our battery holding it's charge and now it doesn't for very.long. Battery was with trailer at dealer all winter.

Tags
delamination, eagle ht, repairs, warranty