Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #1

Rust ????? on New trailer

So I have been looking for a trailer so I went today about 3 hours to a dealer and they had 2 brand new 2014 model's on the paved lot ,
As soon as I walk up to the first one I bend down on my knee's to look under it and there was rust all over , mostly by all the weld's" front back side's " and then springs and torsion suspension peace . I notice this on another 2014 at a local rv store where I live and I thought maybe its a one off so I will travel to go look at another one and same thing .

What do you all do to keep it from rusting or is that all part of a travel trailer ?

when I was at this dealer they had a brand new 2015 Laredo there so I looked under it and NO rust at all "nothing", So I thought this would be the time to spray undercoating under and around the frame to protect it , but with the 2014 jayco's that I looked at they where to far gone to even think about spraying them " you would have to sand first lot of work

Let me here what you guy's do

Thank you
mike
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:45 AM   #2
Site Team

Mine is now 5 years old with very little frame or running gear rust. I`m thinking since they are 2014`s those trailers may have been dragged through salt last Winter during delivery, and have sat on the lot since.....It should also be noted that most of these mass produced RV manufacturers use the same frame manufacturer. So it is unlikely Keystone would have a more rustproof frame then Jayco, or vice versa.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I`m thinking since they are 2014`s those trailers may have been dragged through salt last Winter during delivery, and have sat on the lot since.....
This is the main reason.

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:06 AM   #4

Exactly. Even the owners manual says to check the frame regularly and repaint it if needed. Mine was manufactured in late fall of 2012 and we bought it in May of 2013. The frame was not rusted but there was a little rust on the wheels and the brackets for the propane tanks are all rusted. Disappointing but it is the reality of trailers.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:08 AM   #5

The paint on the frame is not that thick, bare minimum and my unit needed touching up. I used an undercoating by Eastwood, touched up and reinforced areas underneath exposed to the elements. Very easy to do and will keep the frame in better condition.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #6

Thank you ,
Old 10-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #7

My new White Hawk was driven through the snow prior to delivery this February. The dealer had pressure washed the unit and frame. I asked them to paint the rust spots and they did. No problem.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

I am constantly finding little rust areas on my new 2014 Eagle. I carry a can of black Rustoleum to hit those spots. The Rustoleum bonds with the rust and seals things up. I like to give it a brush with a wire brush as necessary before hitting it with paint.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #9

Checked under our TT and there was a little surface rust/on the frame and the 1/2 pipe main gas line as well, a little sand paper ,sprayed it with some metal prep will spray some black on Monday..
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #10

Never start off with rust on the outside or stains on the inside. After you purchase always be vigilant of rust and stains. Water is your trailers worst enemy.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #11

My unit is a 2009 so it looks real good for being on the gulf coast Salt air ...trust me i have stopped all rust ..
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #12

If you have rust on the frame, check the underside of the trailer. I've had to replace just about every bolt on mine that attaches things like the main gas line, supports for the tank dump handle guides, step attachment bolts, etc. I don't know if they got a bad batch of self tapping bolts, but just about every one has broken. Even the ground bolt for the black and gray tank sensors!
Old 10-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
As is said coastal area's and winters are salty. Maintenance is also part of your house, vehicles etc. From the production line (with minimum paint on the chassis) to the consumer might have been during the winter season. Also when the chassis is welded there would be already some rust forming. So when you are board on the campsite (or the kids) enjoy your self under your unit with a brush and spray can. Another option is a shop where they do the painting or undercoating for you.
It is just a matter of preference how you want to protect your investment.
If DW doesn't let me nap inside I take my tools and nap under the unit.......lol.
No rust on our TT's chassis......but then I'm not a napper either.
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #14

We bought a 31.5RLTS in Dec. 2011. We got it home and it was pretty bad from a rust standpoint. I have to believe that it had little to no paint on it when it was manufactured in the previous March. And it was brought to the dealers in winter weather. It was an education for me. Where do I go from here?? The in entire bottom needed sand blasting and repainting. Axles, hangers and frame. I was sure Jayco wasn't going to pay for that. It requires someone that is setup for sand blasting. The dealership certainly wasn't equiped for that kind of a project. I ended up finding a shop that specialized in that kind of repair. Had it all sandblasted and a heavy coat of epoxy paint was applied. I was charged $850 and I'm very grateful. It was a superb cleaning and paint job they did. I chalked up the charge to education!!! If there is a next time, I'll spend more time under the trailer.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #15

Thank you , all great info
Old 10-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #16

Simple bad PDI at the dealer. I have never prepped a "brand new unit" (straight from the factory) that I havent killed at least one spray-bomb on the frame. These frames may sit for months, a year, or more, before being built on. Not to mention the time it may have sat on the dealers lot. (I know the average time a unit sits on our lot is 10-15 months).
TIM
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote