Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-17-2014, 01:17 AM   #1

Exterior maintenance advice

Hello all... I've been away for a while! The trailer has been more of a guest house than camper lately since we've moved...

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a one-stop shop/checklist for all of the exterior caulking and maintenance I should be doing. The large joints between the aluminum sides and roofing in the front and back are looking pretty grungy and a bit cracked. I can see some other areas that might need some touchup. Can you go over the top of those large joints when it's so dirty and cracked or should you pull it off and start over?

Just wondering if anyone knows a good resource -
Thanks!
Honda EU1000i
2006 Jayfeather 29Y - past Jayco
KachFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #2

Here are the products I use. The list below is not complete; others prefer different caulking materials, but those below are among the most popular:

Proflex Bright White

Dicor Self-Leveling Caulk

Dicor Non-self Leveling Caulk

I use Proflex on vertical and horizontal surfaces where a bead of caulk is needed (but Proflex should not touch roof membranes). I also use Dicor Non-self leveling caulk on vertical and horizontal surfaces where a bead of caulk is needed if the caulk touches the roof membrane, but prefer Proflex if the caulk will not touch the roof membrane. I use Dicor Self Leveling caulk on the roof around seams where a wide band of caulk is needed; it sort of oozes out and makes an even surface.

On the side of the trailer where you see cracks in old caulking, remove any caulking that is loose or looks bad to you. Otherwise, clean up the dirt on the caulk with a solvent such as mineral spirits sparingly applied to a rag. When clean, put a new layer of caulking (I would use Proflex) over the old and smooth it if needed with a finger dampened slightly with soapy water.

The roof and all its seams should be checked periodically looking carefully for cracked caulking. Pull off any old caulk that is loose; otherwise leave it in place. Clean the old caulk with a rag moistened with mineral spirits, being VERY careful not to get the mineral spirits on the roof membrane. Then re-caulk with whichever caulking is appropriate.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #3

Thanks hiker. I've been wondering the same thing, even though I'm on my second TT. This brings clarity to the many product options available at CW.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote