Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2014, 07:19 PM   #1

Fresh water holding tank

I've never needed to utilize the fresh water tank, thus I have never filled it. Well, this weekend my granddaughter is going to use the 5er at a campground that does not have water at each site. Fact is there are only a few water faucets. They fill up with "Y"s and long hoses.

I thought I would fill the tank and utilize the demand pump thus she would not have to deal with hoses, etc.

Good thought, I thought, until I get the owners manual out to determine how to fill the tank then activate the system. Manual states it can be filled two ways. One by utilizing the "city water" hose connection. Second, by "gravity flow".

I can figger the second method out, just hang a hose in the inlet and fill her up.

It is the first method that has me puzzled. Currently, I hook the hose to the "city water" inlet which supplies water to the RV when I go camping and it does not fill the fresh water holding tank. So, question is, how do I devert the water into the fresh water holding tank to fill it? There must be a valve somewhere.

It is a 2012 31.5 FBHS.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:36 PM   #2

No such method on my my 30.5 RLS.

Also if it's been that long without water in the tank you may want to follow the sanitize instructions first

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #3

You have to remember the owner's manual is generic for many systems. Some models can fill using the fresh water connection and others have the gravity flow.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You have to remember the owner's manual is generic for many systems. Some models can fill using the fresh water connection and others have the gravity flow.
I think my owners manual stated that if you connect a hose to the city water fill, then lay the hose submerged in a water source [unpressurized] and turn on the pump, it will fill the fresh tank. Kinda like if you were boondocking next to a lake or creek, you could suck up water into the fresh tank. I don't have the owners manual with me so I can't totally commit to this.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for your input. TCNASHVILLE That was one of my thoughts regarding the instructions in the manual. Anyway, I gave up on it, and just hung a hose in the inlet and filled it, switched the pump on and all worked just fine.

As time permits, I will research the other method.

Shorty
Old 07-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #6

I am also looking into this right now and the manual does read that if you attach a hose to the city water inlet with the other end in a water source, it will draw once the water pump is turned on.

Since our trailer is new to us, I will have to try it out to avoid the other option I was considering of buying a portable pump to fill the tank.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
I am also looking into this right now and the manual does read that if you attach a hose to the city water inlet with the other end in a water source, it will draw once the water pump is turned on.

Since our trailer is new to us, I will have to try it out to avoid the other option I was considering of buying a portable pump to fill the tank.
It will draw water, but will it fill the holding tank or simply treat the water source it's drawing from as the holding tank?
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
It will draw water, but will it fill the holding tank or simply treat the water source it's drawing from as the holding tank?
It depends on which model I guess. For Jayflight, it says the below. After double checking, I realized that the Jayfeather manual is different and does not offer this.

Dry camping
You can gravity fill the fresh water system if
you do not have access to city water;
however, allow extra time to fill the fresh
water system if you are using this method.
Follow the steps listed above; however, at
step 3 put the other end of the non-toxic
drinking water hose into your container of
fresh water, and turn ON the water pump

(instead of turning ON the water at the water
source.) When the fresh water tank is full,
shut OFF the water pump and disconnect the
non-toxic drinking water hose.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:35 AM   #9

what does your water panel look like, it you could post a picture of it I may be able to help.
RDNX0528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:14 AM   #10

I just reviewed the Jayco owners manual on this topic. I have never read such a convoluted, vague, misleading description on how to fill the fresh water tank. It certainly appears the guy that did the write up has never seen an RV in his life. No diagram of valve locations or positioning.

Not to say it cannot be with the proper valve setup but I have never seen a situation where the water pump used to draw water from the fresh water tank has also been used to fill the fresh water tank. As I said, it could be done with an elaborate valve system. But without a diagram the manual is worthless.

Jayco could have done a much better job in describing the systems. On a scale of 1 - 10 (10=best) RV owners manuals (not just Jayco) would rate a 1.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:00 AM   #11

tnchuck100, I agree with you 100%. Poor instruction in the manual at best.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #12

On my panel where I designate how the water is to be circulated, I have a "city water", a "city tank fill", and a "normal" setting. When I want to use the sites water supply, I use "city water". When I want to fill the tank I use "city tank fill" then turn valves to "normal" and turn on the pump. One small note, I turn the pump off at night, so I don't wake my mate when nature calls.
oldtrojan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:00 AM   #13

on my 07 eagle 385bhs, there is a set of valves that you can switch to various positions for a variety of operations, if you need to fill from an portable container in mine can use my on demand pump to pull water and fill the fresh water tank.
RDNX0528 is offline   Reply With Quote