Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #1

Whitehawk 27DSRL opinions and experiences

Thinking about trading in our 26BH Jayflight on a Whtehawk 27DSRL. Like to hear pros and cons from anybody who has experience with one. What other similar floorplans did you consider? (Two chairs in back of trailer)
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #2

We purchased our 27DSRL last November, trading in a fifth wheel. We saw the WhiteHawk on display at the GS Rally in Daytona. First time we ever stepped inside a Jayco product.

1. The floorplan (rear living) was similar to the fifth wheel we had.
2. Decent basement storage, good interior storage. (We were impressed that ALL of our personal stuff from the fifth wheel could be stowed in the WhiteHawk).
3. Relative absence of carpet (in the slide only), easier floor maintenance.
4. Fully enclosed bath (though tight).
5. Because we traded "down" from a fifth wheel, I like that the WhiteHawk has tires that aren't nearly $400 apiece, that it's 5000 lbs lighter, and mechanically less complex (single electric slide vs. 2 hydraulic and one electric in the fifth wheel). I miss the on board generator, hydraulic auto-leveling and MorRyde IS suspension on the fifth wheel, but I'll live.

Dislike: The absence of a window that can be opened in the bedroom. The two entry doors is a nice feature, but the window in the bedroom is an emergency exit and not intended for ventilation. With one entry door in the bedroom , why is the emergency exit window even necessary? Also wish the bedroom and the shirt wardrobe were a bit bigger and more walking room around the bed.

Final "dislike": Another ventilation fan in the living area of the trailer would have been nice. Only vent fan is the buzz saw fan in the bath. We had the dealer replace that with a thermostatically controlled FanTastic vent fan and MaxxAir II vent cover before we took delivery.

The WhiteHawk is a very capable vacation rig, and I think that was its appeal to us. We had bought the fifth wheel thinking we would be using it a lot,for long duration trips and we didn't. We're towing the WhiteHawk with the same truck we used for the fifth wheel (3500 Ram diesel), so towing is a great and less stressful experience. The trailer is hitched to the truck with a Reese Strait Line hitch using 800 lb. trunnion bars.

Oh, I appreciate Jayco wants their brand on the trailer, but think they went a bit overboard with the "advertising" exterior graphics.

The good, bad, and ugly from my perspective. To date, we are pleased with our purchase, and enjoy using it.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #3

We looked at that model and wound up with a White Hawk 30DSRE, picking it up tomorrow. I could not get past the pass through bathroom, while I know it really is a personal preference. This model still gave us two chairs we wanted, we elected to have the fireplace if not then there is a large back window. Unless this is too big for you I would take a look at it.

Gary
2013 White Hawk 30DSRE
ProPride 3P 1400 Hitch
glcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #4

Whitehawk 27DSRL opinions and experiences

We looked at a white hawk 26dsrb and the jay flight we ended up choosing. So different floorplan, but here are some things we didn't like about the white hawk line as much as the jay flight line:

- lower inside ceiling height. Noticeable for me cause I'm 6'1". Even my much shorter wife noticed the difference.
- bedroom wardrobes come down all the way to bed height. Makes bed feel cramped almost like sleeping in an MRI machine and doesn't provide a bedside table.
- the floor didn't feel as sturdy to us. We like the solid feeling of the jay flight.
- aluminum siding and wood framing. We actually like the look of the aluminum and avoiding delamination issues.

Other preferences were mainly floorplan related.

Some things we liked about the white hawk:
- glass shower
- wide axles
- longer slide gave more floor space
Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #5

We were exactly in your position recently. We wanted the big rear window with chairs back there and I believe you really only have 3 Jayco TT's that fit the bill. These are the pros and cons according to our family. I have also included some youtube videos that were instrumental in our purchase.

1) White Hawk 27DSRL - This is a nice trailer. My brother has the 28DSBH White Hawk and loves it so far.

Pros
Lightweight, outdoor fridge, Wide axles, Fiberglass exterior, huge pass through storage, more counter space as opposed to the 26RLS below

Cons
Interior height is 3" shorter then other TT's, pass through bathroom, only one ceiling vent and it's in the bath, smaller table, no windows on sides of slide, side windows in back don't open, Side cabinets in bedroom are too low so you don't really have a nightstand, the pass through bath makes the living room/kitchen area seem a lot smaller then the 26RLS below

Here's the for the 27DSRL.

2) White Hawk 30DSRE This doesn't have the exact some floorplan you're looking for, but if you choose to skip the fireplace option then you still have the large rear window and can move the chairs around. The pros and cons are basically the same as above.

Pros
Lightweight, outdoor fridge, Wide axles, I kind of like the kitchen island but I don't know how I feel about the kitchen slide sticking out where it does, fiberglass exterior, huge pass through storage

Cons
Interior height is 3" shorter then other TT's, pass through bathroom, only one ceiling vent and it's in the bath, smaller table, no windows on sides of slide, side windows in back don't open, Side cabinets in bedroom are too low so you don't really have a nightstand

Here's the
for the 30DSRE. The back window can also be replaced with a fireplace with a TV mounted above it.

3) Jay Flight 26RLS- This is what we choose

Pros - Larger water tank, 3" more interior height compared to White Hawks, 2nd ceiling vent in rear of TT, larger u-shaped dinette, windows in side slides, rear windows open, sliding rear cargo carrier, night stands in bedroom, extra dresser in bedroom, tub, TV can rotate to face bath when you're on the throne. lol

Cons - Metal siding (we prefer fiberglass), heavier, no outdoor fridge, smaller pass through storage, smaller bath but it's stand alone which is very important to us, TV is mounted to the top of the entertainment cabinet instead of a pull away swivel on the wall which I think is weird but no biggie, less counter space then 27DSRL

Here's the for the 26RLS. Keep in mind that the TT in the video is a 2011 so it's not as refined as a 2013 but the general floorplan and setup it the same.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #6

Thanks for your very thorough imput. Ordered a Whitehawk 27DSRL today from the same folks that glcamp got his 30DSRE. We bought our
26BH from them (Holiday on Wheels - Columbia SC - Family owned business for nearly 50 years) two years ago. Gave us a great trade in price and good price on new trailer. Never had any warantee issues with our 26BH, however am sure they will take care of anything that might come up on the new unit.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #7

Check out this link for he White Hawk series.....great information on how it's constructed.

http://i1.imagesrv.com/3/2475/docs/2475_1777.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk 96 View Post
Thanks for your very thorough imput. Ordered a Whitehawk 27DSRL today from the same folks that glcamp got his 30DSRE. We bought our
26BH from them (Holiday on Wheels - Columbia SC - Family owned business for nearly 50 years) two years ago. Gave us a great trade in price and good price on new trailer. Never had any warantee issues with our 26BH, however am sure they will take care of anything that might come up on the new unit.

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
2013 Ram Laramie 3500 (Dually)
Curt Q20 hitch
Raugustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #8

We picked ours up today at Holiday on Wheels in Columbia SC...or should I say we did the walk through and they towed it to our house for me since my hitch has not arrive. Great people to work with.

Gary
2013 White Hawk 30DSRE
ProPride 3P 1400 Hitch
glcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #9

Raugustin

Great PDF

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #10

We purchased our 27DSRL in March of 2012 with every option available except the table and chairs. We have towed it on round trips to Southport N.C. and Disney World as well as some shorter trips to state parks. It tows and tracks very well, even on rough concrete roads like I75 thru Georga. Only problem so far was a water leak at the bottom of the shower wall where it meets the base. Easy fix with silicone sillant. Only dislike so far is low insulation value in cold weather. I hope you ordered yours with the glacier package that was not available on the 2012 models. Good luck and HAPPY CAMPING.
Durasam is offline   Reply With Quote