Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #1

Cool Excessive sway 33TSBH

I am experiencing a lot of sway when towing my 33TSBH. I have the Camco dual cam weight distributing hitch, dealer installed, but still it's white knuckle time if towing with any wind blowing. I took my truck in and had the steering and suspension checked and no problems found. Any others having this problem?

2013 Jayco Flight 32TSBH
:USA::USA:
Proud Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #2

I get a fair amount with my Whitehawk 28dsbh but it's manageable... I also use a friction anti sway control which helps
Old 07-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Grandpa View Post
I am experiencing a lot of sway when towing my 33TSBH. I have the Camco dual cam weight distributing hitch, dealer installed, but still it's white knuckle time if towing with any wind blowing. I took my truck in and had the steering and suspension checked and no problems found. Any others having this problem?
Its likely that you don't have enough tongue wt. on your TV. Go to a good set of scales and determine how much you wt. you actually have on the ball. It should be a minimum of 12% of the gross trailer wt. 15% is better. If you determine that there is not enough hitch wt., then start figuring ways to get more of your load toward the front of your trailer and maybe add wt.to the front frame as a last resort. Be aware of your total wt. to avoid being overloaded.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #4

I had that happen to me Untill I got my Reese Dual Cam hitch. But my tongue was a little high and the friction sway bar couldnt handle the sway since new hitch and getting trailer level I have had no problems. Hope you get it figured out as I know driving that way is no fun.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #5

Tongue height and tongue weight are critical parts of a good setup. You can reduce sway by getting these two things right. To eliminate sway you need a sway control hitch.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #6

I have the same floorplan in the Eagle series - 2013 Eagle 324BTS. The tongue weight is roughly 10% of the trailer weight, and that is low. Even with a No-Sway Hensley hitch, I can feel some instability, but I'm glad I have the Hensley. I'd look at buying a ProPride hitch which is an ubdated design of the original Jim Hensley hitch.
Clevelandjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:14 PM   #7

Look at the husky centerline hitch I pull a 28 footer and have very little sway if any at all. Worth the money spent on it.
Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:52 AM   #8

I had a jayco eagle fks 312 it pulled great with the same truck . Now we have a 33TSBH which pulls horrible,yes lots of sway. I load nose heavy and think the trailer layout has something to do with this. I also notice if I run with a full water tank it sways worse than empty. I'm running a Reese hitch with the friction sway control. I have the dual came set up not installed yet. I'm hopefullyit will help. Also my set up is level.
T-slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
Look at the husky centerline hitch I pull a 28 footer and have very little sway if any at all. Worth the money spent on it.
I just replaced the Draw-Tite hitch that I negotiated as part of my trailer deal with the Husky Centerline and what an improvement it made. Really like it and it is built extremely well. Pulled the trailer in 40mph head and cross winds with relative ease and no white knuckles.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #10

You didn't mention what your TV is, but I'll assume it's not a tail wagging dog problem. I use an Equalizer WDH on our 37' Eagle and get virtually no sway.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Grandpa View Post
I am experiencing a lot of sway when towing my 33TSBH.......snip
Unless the RV dealer installed/adjusted the WDH "properly" under TV/TT loaded conditions, then it's not adjusted correctly (assuming the WDH was sized correctly).

I would start out with a visit to your local CAT scale under loaded conditions, this is the only way to determine if your weights are within limits and the WDH is sized/adjusted correctly. Unfortunately many dealers size WDH's based on published UVW weights, not realistic "loaded" weights.

CAT scale how-to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3871

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #12

I use a jeep commander with hemi v8 to tow the 28 footer rarely do I get the tail wagging the dog syndrome. We also travel lightly as we have learned over the years is that we really only haul what we use. This was something that took years to figure out LOL.
Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #13

cekkk

I tow with 2006 GMC 2500 HD. I took it in and had entire steering and suspension checked and nothing found wrong. I am thinking this is problem with the hitch install. I will take it back to dealer to have installation checked. Can't keep fighting this thing every time I want to go somewhere, too much stress.

2013 Jayco Flight 32TSBH
Old 07-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #14

TV is 2006 GMC 2500 hd. I have it in shop twice and they cannot find anything wrong with it.

2013 Jayco Flight 32TSBH
Old 07-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #15

Before returning to the dealer, take it across a cat scale. 3 passes across the scale as described in many threads around here will tell you everything you need to know to get the hitch setup correctly.

Dealers are notorious for bad hitch setups. One would think they are experts, but by the time to setup a hitch all they want is to get you down the road. They dont set up based on actual weights.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:41 PM   #16

I have essentially the same TT and after messing with the set up the TT stays directly with me, except when you have high winds. Don't care what anyone says nothing will cure that. What are you towing with? Are you you towing with water in the fresh tank? Tire pressures set right? How are you loading this TT? reason i ask these seemingly silly questions is as soon as. Picked up my 334RBTS, it was about totaled on RT81 bout 15 miles from the dealer. I'm very experienced driving TT s and ain't afraid of anything but this had me close to a second heart attack. The dealer had tires pressures all screwed up, fresh tank full, hitch not set up right. You will find out that these Jaycos are heavy and are very sensitive to all the things I mentioned. Also if yours has the Chinese junk tires like mine had then I would invest in getting them swapped out for name brand tires. Sidewalls in those tires flex too much and get to bouncing all over the highway. The axles are also sized to the max. Mine is sitting close to 11k loaded.
Firefighter78 is offline   Reply With Quote