Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #1

Brake controller recommendations ?

I'm sure there are previous threads out there on this subject, but my computer is rather long in the tooth, and my searches keep coming up with "document expired" when I try to search.

Anyway, I have a good brake controller at the moment, which works well. My only complaint is that, even with an adjustable force thumbwheel, it cannot gradually apply the trailer brakes. Especially at low speeds, there is always a jerk when applying or releasing the brakes.

I would like to have some recommendations on a more modern, proportional control brake controller that will eliminate the jerks. I'm towing with a 1-ton Ford and an 11,000 lb 5er behind. I have no "chucking" whatsoever, just the jerk when applying or releasing the brakes. If you could estimate the longevity and the reliability of your unit, based on your experiences, that would be most helpful and appreciated. Thanks in advance !
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #2

If brake shoes are contaminated (with a bit of grease or something else), brake application can be very grabby regardless of the quality of the brake controller. Could this be the case? Also, are you sure the brakes are adjusted properly?

I have had a Tekonsha P2 controller since 2001, replaced once under a limited lifetime warranty. It has performed flawlessly. I understand from discussions that the Tekonsha P3 works in the same way, but has a bit more information available on the display.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:45 AM   #3

I'm running the new Primus on my Seneca. It works beautifully, smooth ramp up on the brake application. Automatically applies the brakes more as you stop harder. Smooth release and zero jerking in stop and go traffic.
The trailer brake application is virtually undetectible. I'm towing a 24ft car trailer weighing approx 7000lbs loaded. Highly recommend the Primus.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #4

I agree with RVHiker......my 4 year old P2 has worked flawlessly from day one. Looked at the P3 this year but no real difference from the P2 except more display items which I don't feel are necessary for me. Both are similar but P2 also costs less. If you are frugal the P2 is your best choice...if you have the bucks and want more to read then go with the P3. You can't lose either way . Happy RVing.
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
I agree with RVHiker......my 4 year old P2 has worked flawlessly from day one. Looked at the P3 this year but no real difference from the P2 except more display items which I don't feel are necessary for me. Both are similar but P2 also costs less. If you are frugal the P2 is your best choice...if you have the bucks and want more to read then go with the P3. You can't lose either way . Happy RVing.
Jeff
+1
Old 07-26-2014, 08:40 PM   #6

My tekonsha ps2 works great
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #7

Prodigy P2 or P3. My P2 is 9 years old and works flawlessly. I've used it in 3 tow vehicles and with 2 trailers.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #8

+3 for a P3. The advantage is that if you ever loose your connections (brakes) it advises you and once dialed in the stops are smooth and effective.

I had a wiring issue due to corrosion and the unit advised me that I had no connection which allowed me to safely stop and fix. I am not certain the p2 has that function.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
+3 for a P3. The advantage is that if you ever loose your connections (brakes) it advises you and once dialed in the stops are smooth and effective.

I had a wiring issue due to corrosion and the unit advised me that I had no connection which allowed me to safely stop and fix. I am not certain the p2 has that function.
The P2 says NC when it has no connection.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #10

I have a P2. Works good enough for me
Old 07-29-2014, 06:19 AM   #11

I really appreciate all the responses from y'all. Looks like a P2 or P3 will be the one I buy. One question - I have looked up the product details on both, and notice that the P2 is listed as designed for electric over hydraulic, whereas the P3 says it has a selector for either electric or electric over hydraulic. Does this mean that the P2 has to be installed in the TV hydraulic system, while the P3 can be pure electric ? The current one I have is connected via Ford factory wiring harness (electric only), and does not involve the TV hydraulic system.
Retired at last !

Old 07-29-2014, 08:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
The P2 says NC when it has no connection.
Even my Primus IQ (model below the P2) tells you when the trailer is connected or not or if there's a short anywhere in the wiring (don't ask me how I know!).

I would go with the P2 for a good mix of quality and value. It is what I would buy if I had my druthers.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #13

Have looked all over the internet at Tekonsha P2 installation instructions, and none say anything at all about connecting to the TV's hydraulic brake system - just the electrical wiring. Yet all the ads for the P2 say "designed for hydraulic over electric systems", which I believe is a reference to connection to the hydraulic brakes on the TV, and electric on the trailer. The P3, on the other hand, is advertised with a selector setting for either hydraulic over electric, or all electric.

What am I missing here ??
Retired at last !

Old 08-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #14

The documentation for the P2 and P3 that I have seen refers to either being suitable for electric over hydraulic brakes. They are both inertial controllers - they have a sensor within the controller that senses the deceleration, in forward or reverse, of the tow vehicle. They supply voltage to the trailer proportional to the amount of deceleration. The trailer uses that voltage either directly (as in standard electric brakes) or uses the voltage to operate a device on the trailer that creates and supplies hydraulic pressure to the trailer hydraulic brakes. Neither Prodigy connects to a tow vehicle's hydraulic brake system.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #15

I have been using the Tekonsha Prodigy wireless brake controller. Excellent unit and very reliable to date. Lots of adjustments and sensitivity levels including powerbooster options.

It's a five minute, DIY installation, only 4-screws box to fix on the trailer frame, plug your trailer cord into it, then plug the Prodigy's cord in your vehicle's receptacle.

In-car control unit is a hand held unit (actually shaped like a old cb microphone!). Plug it in the 12Volt power outlet and you are done.

Best part, when not using the trailer, I just store it in the glove compartment. No permanent box screwed-in under the dash.

It is an amazing product really.

Just one word of caution, do not place the controller box within inches of your cellphone (I had mine directly on to of it). This may interfere with the brake box's signal.

Other than that, it has been a stellar product so far and I highly recommend it.
Mike in Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #16
Site Team

I have had the P3 for nearly 5 years now and am a happy camper. Here is the Brake controller poll and discussion which may also help:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6150
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:13 PM   #17

Thanks, everyone, for the very helpful information. Glad to hear that neither P2 or P3 involve the TV hydraulic brake system. Many years ago I had a controller that DID tie into that system, and it worked fine, but you had to bleed the brakes when you installed it, and occasionally thereafter. The wireless system Mike describes sounds almost too good to be true, but I will definitely look into that as well.

Again, many thanks, guys !
Retired at last !

Old 08-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #18

Another Vote for the P2. I installed one in my 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan for my 14SO P-Up. This trailer is a tandem axle and has a GVWR of 3330lbs ... once I adjusted the trailer brakes properly, and set the controller properly, I have never touched it again. I have had no trouble stopping, either in stop and go traffic or suddenly due to some moron (but that's a different story ).
Old 08-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #19

P3 here. Love it and it's a breeze to setup and test the trailer brakes on their own to ensure I have the right amount of braking set.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote